Drum Mics for Home Recording Studio

OnlyGrace

Hey everyone, I'm new here and I justed wanted to know what is a good sounding solid drum mic kit? I was thinking of a OSP DK-7, because I bought a OSP DL-330 and it was even better than a SM57. I don't have a lot of cash, but I was thinking of something in between $100-$250. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks:)

No I was just saying I bought one of OSP's microphones and liked it, so I was thinking of getting their Drum Mic Set( The OSP DK-7). Sorry for not explaining very well.:)

Honestly, a lot of those mic sets within that price range are not very good. I had the "good" CAD mic set, I used it for one session then sold it.

Get 2 decent condensor mics (Naiant is always recommended here ;)), an SM 57 for the snare, and depending on how much $$ you have left for the kick mic, you can definitely use an SM 58 if you wanted (there's definitely better "dedicated" kick mics, but an SM 58 in the right spot is good enough AND you can use it for many other things). Pick 'em up used on eBay if you can.

Those 4 mics with good placement will give you a MUCH better sound than a low-end mic kit.

I understand you man, i had to make that decision of whether buying a low end mic kit or buying little by little, and let me tell u this.. SAVE YOUR MONEY AND BUY ACCORDINGLY. This is what i did.
I bought...
- 3 ES-57( SM-57 copies) for Toms & Snare. 80$
- Oktava MC 012-01 Condenser mics... i got the pair for 120$ ( I GOT LUCKY :))

and your pretty much set to start recording with only spend 200$, then after buy yourself a kick mic such as Audix D6(ebay i got mine 120$)

Saving your money and trying to find bargains around will leave you with a better mic set, than buying a low end drum mic kit.

Browse around craiglist, and ebay and look around. Good luck man!

Get 2 Naiant X-Ms, use the sm57 or osp, and get a kick drum mic. If you want tom mics, check out the X-S or Karma K-micros. What about the K-Micro Silver Bullet Drum Pack. I would probably recommend a pair of better overheads though, like the naiant X-Ms

I would probably buy some naiant cause I keep hearing about them and they sound so good but I picked uptwo behringer c-2's SDC condenser mics for only $30 from a friend and I think that'll hold me off... at least I can't think of a reason to have more than 2 condesners on a drum kit... can anyone else?

I would probably buy some naiant cause I keep hearing about them and they sound so good but I picked uptwo behringer c-2's SDC condenser mics for only $30 from a friend and I think that'll hold me off... at least I can't think of a reason to have more than 2 condesners on a drum kit... can anyone else?
I like condensers on snare... ;)

Honestly, a lot of those mic sets within that price range are not very good. I had the "good" CAD mic set, I used it for one session then sold it.

I wholeheartedly disagree. For this guy's budget, those pre-packaged mic kits are fine and will perform the job very, very well.

condensers on snare? Maybe... I don't see why not though - except for bleed from the other drums... I'll give it a try with my at 2020

and yeah actually buying a kit is a decent idea, although I myself am just going to stick with a 58 on kick and a soon to be 57 on snare + 2 over heads

Ok guys, I've got a SM57 for the snare, and I'll probably get two Behringer B-5's for the overheads. Is the SM58 really a good bass mic? I also am needing something for my vocals, so I might go with the SM58.

I heard the 58 will do on a kick... it's not a kick drum but whatever that's what I'm going to do.

if your recording vocals don't use a 58 unless it's live. get a Large diaphragm condenser like the at2020 ( I have it and it's great!)

Ok, I did a little bit of homework and this are my top choices for a bass drum mic,

1. OSP DT-610
2. AKG D112
3. Shure PG52
4. Audix D-6

And these are my choices for my overheads:

1. Behringer C2's
2. Samson C02's
3. Naiant X-M's
4. Shure SM57

Let me know what you guys think of these mics, Thanks

Last edited:
Ok, I did a little bit of homework and this are my top choices for a bass drum mic,

1. OSP DT-610
2. AKG D112
3. Shure PG52
4. Audix D-6

And these are my choices for my overheads:

1. Behringer C2's
2. Samson C02's
3. Naiant X-M's
4. Shure SM57

Let me know what you guys think of these mics, Thanks

As far as kick mics...I've heard good about the D-6, have the D112 and the Shure Beta 52. I use the 52 more but the D112 is definitely a good mic.

The OH's you listed I know nothing about except I probably wouldn't use the 57's as OH's. I would think an sdc would work well for ya. I use the KSM 109's and like them fine.

just my thoughts........

Back