Votes: 36 33.0%
  • Aquarian

Votes: 12 11.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 3 2.8%

• Total voters

Drummer706

AOD AND SANCTIFIED
Which company do you guys use more? Which are the best combinations. for example g2 coated on the batter side and g1 clear on the resonant side. i want to know what you guys use. and how come you guys never mention hydraulic heads?? are they any good?? i heard they are nice and warm. and what do you guys use on the bass drum?? are those emads any good? thanks in advanced. Joel

I had Evans hydraulic heads.........to dead on my 10in tom.
Replaced them with Aquarian Studio-X heads..Love them for recording.

I can tell you why we don't mention hydraulics in one word:

THUD!

Have you ever heard "brick house"? The drum fill in that sounds like cardboard boxes? That's what hydraulics record like, especially on double headed toms. Very dead 70's sound.

I personally prefer clear ambassadors on my toms and kick. CS coated on the snare. Nothing more. The only muffling is on the kick and that's hardly anything.

Have been using a gallon paint can in the middle of the kick, but someone mentioned a cinder block. I may give that a try.

It depends on the sound you want. I prefer remo pinstripes, but evans g2's are really nice too.

edit: yeah, stay away from hydraulics.

I am using pinstripes right now. For some reason I thought these were hydraulics but I guess not. I like them, but I think I am going to try some kind of coated head next time. (for toms) Also, I am sold on the EMAD for kick batter. Freaking awesome! I use a powerstroke III for the res and I think I am going to try something Evans next time. In fact, I'm almost sold on all Evans heads, but it will just depend on how much money I have next time I need heads....

Yamaha Rec. Customs, hard / progressive rock........

Kick - Emad batter / EQ3 reso
Black Beauty snare - Genera HD batter / 300 Hazy snare side
Toms - EC2 batter / G2 clear reso....that's on all toms (8/10/12/14/16).

I get a lot of (WTF?!?!) from local drummers about this setup, but I'm pointing that out because of the most important aspect. None of their kits have anywhere near the tone that I have, but they never hesitate to tell me I'm "choking such a nice kit", etc.....nevermind the "zero-rings" they have on all toms and snare and the blankets filling the bass drum :rolleyes:

What I'm trying to say is that it's all in the tuning. I get what I want with my setup (durability on all heads, a nice crack / ringy snare, good attack AND sustain on toms, and a great kick sound), and I chose the heads accordingly after experimenting with all sorts of combinations (PM me if you want more specific details & I'll gladly send you my opinion of the setups I tried).

Hydraulics - If it's the sound you're going for, then go for it! They're not as bad as everyone seems to say they are. Think of them as a pinstripe with no overtones, and that's about what you get. Not bad, but not really versatile for different styles either......IMHO

toms-coated emperors over clear ambassadors
snare-coated emperor over hazy ambassador
kick-aquarian impact 2 ported regulator-evans eq pillow

keller 6ply toms, 10ply snare, 8ply kick

I used to have coated ambassadors on top with zero rings but could never get it to sound right. A friend suggested the emperors and they sound amazing with no muffling at all. Great attack with a nice tone, my floor toms especially.

Remo Smooth Whites

I played a kit recently that had some Remo Emperor Smooth Whites on them. They are a plastic head that does not have the heavy frosting on it as coated heads do.

I like coated heads for focus and warmth, but I also like clear heads for ring and attack. The result you get from the remo smooth whites is nice definition and articulation, but with some of the focus you get with a coated head. The best of both worlds IMO. :cool:

On my 8 piece Mapex I used Remo clear pinstripes on toms but switched to Evans hydraulics. What a MISTAKE!
I went back to clear pinstripes for batter side of toms and Evans Ebony single-ply resonant heads on the bottoms and front of kicks.
For batter side of kicks I really, really like the sound of Remo Powerstroke 3's with my Iron Cobra felt beaters. Snare is a high energy Aquarian for live applications and remo ambassador coated for recording.

I play metal!!! Like this>>> http://www.superprohero.com/
I know,,, the recording sucks.

I use remo because they are the only company that offers heads in sizes that I can use for my entire kit. Most companies don't make a 20" floor tom, and one of the few head types I can get them in is the clean Pinstripe - so that's what I use. Luckily, I like the way they sound on my kit - although I would like to at least be able to tray Aquarian heads - but Roy Burns told me they have no plans to make a 20" floor tom head. I used to pester the hell out of them about it, but it's just not economically feasable since so few of us use that size drumhead.

Tim

depends on the drum shell material birch, mohogany,maple,oak etc. , wrap or laquer, bering edge 45x2 or gretch style or whatever, what type of music you play, and for use live or recording. every drum sings its own song this way. I use diferent brands of heads on every drumset i own and play. snare drums I use Aquarian TC because they are very consistant and have a real good even tone, rounder bering edges on a tom for instance might require a thinner head like a g1 evans, sharper bering edges maybe a remo emporer. sometimes coated for attack and less open sound, clear for a more wide open sound, you may use wood sticks or nylon tip sticks , this may alter your results with any of these choices. Kickdrums I primarily use E3 evans system with the evans pillow. Thats the best one stop shop for batter + resonant going. The Emad is a waste of time. resonant heads you should try, remo ambassador, evans resonant (or G1) or remo diplomat. As abatter head You may also try the remo fyberskin, they have there moments too. if you can't find anything that you like the cop out on toms is the remo pinstripe. If you had the type of drums that you owned up I could tell you what combination to try. I have used pretty much every type of head on almost every type of set you would find. I have owned drums in almost every series of brands such as gretch,rogers,slingerland,ludwig,pearl,sonor,yamaha,dw,spawn,remo,pork pie,peavey,and many other brands + custom made drums
KSR

Bass Drum Remo Powerstroke 3
Snare Remo CS Control
Tom Remo Pinstripe and Remo Emperor or Pinstripe on Bottom

Remos Pinstripe are very good for recording due to the fact they dont ring much and offer a universal sound that should fit most music.

Remo CS Control has a thin ring in the middle which 1 makes the skin last longer but reocrding it always essential that the any drum is hit in the middle (unless doing a rim shot etc) becuase thats where it vibrates equally and thus causeing less ring.

Remo Powerstroke 3 i recommend for bass drum as it has 3 layers producing a phatter sound and there is a pocket of air between the first and second layer allowing a enigneer to equalise it how the artist wants. This is becuase the drum resitances differently with a air pocket than oil like in the powerstroke 4.

The key to a drum kit isnt really the type of skins. 1 as long as they are tuned correctly they produce a good sound. 2 A good drum can help produce a better sound. (Becuase they hit the drum correctly.) 3 The way they are miced up makes a differnce. 4 Moon gel was invented to stop ring try some of that. 5 Most drums dont realise that it there bottom skin that usually rings and so a simple and easy solution is to take the bottom skin of. 6 tune the skin to as loose as possible without crinking. (In otherwords let the shell size do the tuning)

Hope some of that helps

Guitarmaster said:
Bass Drum Remo Powerstroke 3
Snare Remo CS Control
Tom Remo Pinstripe and Remo Emperor or Pinstripe on Bottom

Remos Pinstripe are very good for recording due to the fact they dont ring much and offer a universal sound that should fit most music.

Remo CS Control has a thin ring in the middle which 1 makes the skin last longer but reocrding it always essential that the any drum is hit in the middle (unless doing a rim shot etc) becuase thats where it vibrates equally and thus causeing less ring.

Remo Powerstroke 3 i recommend for bass drum as it has 3 layers producing a phatter sound and there is a pocket of air between the first and second layer allowing a enigneer to equalise it how the artist wants. This is becuase the drum resitances differently with a air pocket than oil like in the powerstroke 4.

The key to a drum kit isnt really the type of skins. 1 as long as they are tuned correctly they produce a good sound. 2 A good drum can help produce a better sound. (Becuase they hit the drum correctly.) 3 The way they are miced up makes a differnce. 4 Moon gel was invented to stop ring try some of that. 5 Most drums dont realise that it there bottom skin that usually rings and so a simple and easy solution is to take the bottom skin of. 6 tune the skin to as loose as possible without crinking. (In otherwords let the shell size do the tuning)

Hope some of that helps

I have the opposite opinion. Single ply heads top and bottom, no muffling whatsoever. Tune bottom and top similar. Of course, for some reasons, my drums dont resonate well even when I do this... o well.

i got pinstripes on all mine right now. they sound great at first but they've been on for just under a year and sound like shit now so im getting new ones for recording.

the evans hydraulic heads are shitty for recording but in my opinion are great for live shows and stuff, not because they sound great but because of how their sound carries

I use a remo ebony powerstroke 3 bass drum head with kevlar falam slam patch things. I play double bass and really hard so i melt drum heads if i dont use those patches...For my snare and toms I use the evans genera heads. I used to use remo pinstripes but they seemed harder to tune and less musical to my ears than evans heads.

tilinmyowngrave said:
I have the opposite opinion. Single ply heads top and bottom, no muffling whatsoever. Tune bottom and top similar. Of course, for some reasons, my drums dont resonate well even when I do this... o well.
The rule of the thumb for me is either tune you skins so they match each other(ur idea. Tune top as tight as it will go and then match the top. (Much like a snare does work very well). Or just put the skin on as loose as possible but without any wrinkles.

Back