DIY fixing my tom. Any help?

elenore19

Slowing becoming un-noob.
So in another thread it was brought to my attention that I basically won't be able to find a 5 lug 13" tom ring for my tom. So I'm wondering if I could just either A: make my own ring (doesn't have to be nice at all) or B: basically just tape a resonator head on there.

If I did tape a resonator head on there (man, that just sounds like a terrible idea) would it help make my tom have that little bit of depth, even though the head would be extremely loose?
The tom is so dead right now and if I could get some resonance, it would be nice.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Or even another suggestion to fix my problem?

Thanks!

Elliot

I think taping a resonant head on is a bad option. You would likely be better off simply going with a bottom head.

However, there is another option that while not ideal may work (I did not read your other post - so I'm assuming your shell already has 5 lug casings on it). Purchase a rim (which will likely be a 6 lug rim) - and then re-drill the shell - spacing your current 5 lug casings to accomodate 5 of the 6 lugs (or purchase another lug casing and lug to allow for tuning at all six locations). Even with only 5 lugs tightened, this could allow you to secure a head with reasonable tuning ability.

If you don't care about the cosmetics (ie: the visible holes when you more the lug casings).

I think taping a resonant head on is a bad option. You would likely be better off simply going with a bottom head.

However, there is another option that while not ideal may work (I did not read your other post - so I'm assuming your shell already has 5 lug casings on it). Purchase a rim (which will likely be a 6 lug rim) - and then re-drill the shell - spacing your current 5 lug casings to accomodate 5 of the 6 lugs (or purchase another lug casing and lug to allow for tuning at all six locations). Even with only 5 lugs tightened, this could allow you to secure a head with reasonable tuning ability.

If you don't care about the cosmetics (ie: the visible holes when you more the lug casings).

I have most of the lug bolts and casings. Just missing a few, but they seem easy enough to find on the internet.
I wouldn't mind drilling holes, but if there is an easier way, it'd be nice. But last resort I'd probably end up drilling the wholes.

(Sorry for the double post, wasn't thinking)

If that doesn't work, look for single flanged hoops with clips. They have them at Drum Supply House (no affiliation).

Or get custom wood hoops from Stellar drums (again, no affiliation -- promise).

Alright thanks. I did get the hoop off of ebay so I'm golden as far as that goes. Then I bought a bunch of new parts for the set. Some lugs, lug holder deals, a couple new heads. I'm ready to get my set even nicer. Woot.

Back