cymbals

mm2k5

what kind of hats and rides do you guys use. I just have the cheapy zbt zildjians and i am wanting to upgrade. It doesnt have to stay zildjian name just something that sounds good. I pretty much play agressive.

The Zildjian New Beat hi-hats are what I use. They have a good basic sound that's good for pretty much any style. My ride is a Sabian Hand Hammered Medium, which also sounds pretty good on about anything. You'll definitely be happy if you replace your ZBTs with these or anything similar. Go out and try cymbals to find out what you like.

Yeah, the best thing to do is go to a music store with your sticks, go to the cymbal room and just try stuff out till you find what you want. Something that works for me, may not work for you.

well right now my band is mainly doing cover stuff...southern rock...ya know zz top.. skynyrd... .38 special..stuff like that...but we also do like acdc...and i like to get into it....im sure i could round up some kinda demo if anyone wants to hear us..doubtful

I have used Zildjan New Beat Hi-hats on several recording. These will give you a very Nice closed and open sound. However if do a lot of foot work and want a nice chick sound that will cut through the recording well you can get a set of Zildjan K Custom Dark hats. I play in a rock band and love the all over sound of these cymbals. If you go with just a standard set of K's they will get lost in the music.

For the ride you might want something with less of a washy sound, like a dry ride or a rock ride. These tend to have more focus on the initial hit and not as much ring.

This is all based on opinion and personal preference of coarse. It all depends on what you want to hear.

more new beats (canadian) here, very versitile hats... they never sound out of place.....

maybe you could replace the zbt's with hubcaps or trash can lids... i'm sure they will sound better :D

I'm actually playing ZBTs and B8s. Let me tell you, they're not all that bad, well, actually, they are, lol. The only cymbals that I am actually satisfied with in my collection are my 14" ZBT crash and my 20" ZBT-Plus Ride. The crash sounds very good on all my recordings. Other than those two, don't get anything else from the ZBT line. Like dr. c said, you're probably better off with trash can lids. LOL, he said hubcaps!

if you want a nice chick sound and loud open hat sound, the A custom projection hats are good, but they're a little on the expensive side. I think i paid $240 for mine.

Has anyone heard of the Sabian 15 in hats? I think they are B8 pro rock or something like that...someone offered them to me for like 50 bucks, i know they are in great condition...is this a good deal? If anyone has tried these can someone give me a lil detail about them?

mm2k5 said:
Has anyone heard of the Sabian 15 in hats? I think they are B8 pro rock or something like that...someone offered them to me for like 50 bucks, i know they are in great condition...is this a good deal? If anyone has tried these can someone give me a lil detail about them?

I'd stay away from them. Anything B8 is still pretty low-end, and I promise that you'll still want better hi-hats eventually. When you do, that's $50 down the drain. As the saying goes, "buy cheap, buy twice".

i play sabian aa 14's and i think they sound fantastic. I play a mix of harder/alternative/misc. they were $80 for a "new" pair on ebay. you could add rivets or something for all hard drumming.

Go to a pawn shop and buy an entire set of Zildjians that have the brand name worn off...the ppor bastards have no idea what they've got. I got a 9-piece set, crashes, ride, Hi-hats, splash, china...the whole works for $130. SUCKERS!!!

I am using 3 crashes, 1 splash, 1 china, 1 ride, and a set of high hats. all A Customs. They r the bomb. Imma buy some evolutions after all the info i got from M Havlen.

Back