Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cymbals

Thanks

Cymbals

Sign in to disable this ad
    I am a guitarist and started a home recording studio. My drum kit has the brass Paiste 101 cymbals. I am looking for an upgrade. Is the PST7 set good enough for studio or should I save for Paiste 2002s? My drums is a Yamaha Rydeen.

Thanks
    2002s for the win! It's damn hard to beat those bad boys.

Thanks
    I bought a lot of used cymbals, tried many, and slowly weeded out the ones I didn't like (sold them back), and kept a final set of what I thought sounded best for recording (live gig band playing may have different requirements).
    Mine are all Zildjians...a mix of K, A cymbals...mostly thin/paper thin and dark/custom crashes, Mastersound hats...and a really sweet K custom ride.

Thanks
    As Greg stated 2002 are had to beat. For recording, I've been using Signature series 16, 17, & 18 crash, 13" HH, & a dark energy ride which all sound and translate very well. However, this will ultimately come down to style, genre, and personal taste; therefore, I'd recommend heading to a music store & locking yourself in a drum room and trying a bunch of cymbals (even within the same series and size) out until you find what you like. This may take some time and might get to the point that the store wants to throw you out but will be worth the time IMHO.

Thanks
    That's interesting that you guys are into cymbal sets. I've never done it. I always just buy whatever cymbal I happen to like. Mine are all hand-picked (Sabian AAX hi-hats, Paiste Signature Crash, Ziljian Trash Splash, Sabian AAX Crash, Ziljian K Ride, Meinl Byzance Dark China).

Anyway, for the OP: I realize the price difference is significant but if possible: Generally speaking - don't go cheap on cymbals. The 2002s will blow the PSTs out of the water. Plus, if you take good care of them (don't hit them the wrong way, replace your felts periodically, make sure they aren't rubbing against metal on your stands) they will last a long time - long after you would have otherwise sold the PST7s to upgrade to something better. I've had my AAX hi-hats and K ride for over a decade. They still sound good.
    “There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.” - Socrates

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ibleedburgundy View Post
    That's interesting that you guys are into cymbal sets.
    I'm not, I just happen to like the 2002 line. None of them sound bad.

RAMI Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_L View Post
    I'm not, I just happen to like the 2002 line. None of them sound bad.
    I've never heard a bad sounding 2002 either. I'm a Sabian guy myself. For some reason, never liked the sound of Zildjians. They always seem to have that "Drum machine" sizzle to them.....to my ears.

One of my students brought over his new Sabian AAX's the other day. I didn't think I'd hear that much of a differenc with my regular A"s. I was blown away. The AAX's sound incredible. Might be my next purchase.

Thanks
    For me, sabians lasted longer than zildjians. But I've used a bunch of both. If you are budget conscious, buy used, but don't cheap out on cymbals. There is a big difference between cheap ones and good ones.
    Jay Walsh
    Farview Recording. I am also the forum spokesmodel for Terasyne Amplification

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RAMI View Post
    One of my students brought over his new Sabian AAX's the other day. I didn't think I'd hear that much of a differenc with my regular A"s. I was blown away. The AAX's sound incredible. Might be my next purchase.
    I bought a 17' AAX X-Plosion fast crash last year. I tried a bunch of cymbals at guitar center one day, not planning on buying one. I just liked it a lot. It also has a usable bell which is a plus.
    Last edited by ibleedburgundy; 03-08-2016 at 05:33.
    “There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.” - Socrates

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RAMI View Post
    I've never heard a bad sounding 2002 either. I'm a Sabian guy myself. For some reason, never liked the sound of Zildjians. They always seem to have that "Drum machine" sizzle to them.....to my ears.

Ditto to all of that. Sabians are great, and those AAXs are fantastic. And I've never liked Zildjians either. They're fine cymbals, but they just don't sound amazing to me. None of them. People freak out over Ks, and I'm just like whatever. I'm a rock and roll drummer. I don't give a fuck about dark jazz undertones.

I just gravitate toward Paistes because their upper end stuff is smooth and balanced. They're not dark, they're not shrill. They're just smooth. 2002s are just about perfect for me. I am on the hunt though for a 24" RUDE Mega-Power ride. Now that is a ride cymbal.

Thread Information