Cymbals

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure I could describe it. With the crashes, it's more of a swiping motion. You come down at an angle instead of hitting them head on and digging in. I've never broken a ride, or seen anyone with a broken ride, so that' a non-issue. The reason I break hats is because I simply hit them too hard. I hit everything too hard. I've been known to put sticks through kevlar heads.

Sweep it. Use a glancing sweep across the top of the cymbal. Like this guy....

For hats you can do whatever. The tip alone can sound kind of weak, but it has it's moments. I usually use the shoulder of the stick, hitting down at the top of the hats kind of in an abbreviated sweep motion like with a crash cymbal.

well I learned something. I never knew that a drummer should swipe the crash cymbals like that. I was already hitting them with the middle of the stick but pretty much straight on.

I know the correct way now.
thanks guys

well I learned something. I never knew that a drummer should swipe the crash cymbals like that. I was already hitting them with the middle of the stick but pretty much straight on.

I know the correct way now.
thanks guys
Your posture and set up goes a very long way towards how well you can play and how your gear takes the beating. Having cymbals way up might look rock and roll, but you can't play them well like that. Having toms pointed at your face is not ergonomically efficient. Flatten and lower things as much as you can. You wrists and equipment will thank you later.

I can see the entire top of my cymbals while sitting at the kit. I can read the logo. I'm not usually a cymbal breaker. My toms are about 15 degrees at most from parallel with the floor. My wrists never hurt and I can play blazing high-speed punk rock retardedness for hours. Set your shit up so it's comfortable but still "proper", and if you have bad habits, break them now.

Back