10" A Custom Splash
16" Oriental China "Trash"
18" K custom Crash
22" Platinum Ping Ride

Recorded :

Mixer/Pre-Amps - Behringer UB2222FX-PRO
SoundCard - Realtek AC97 built in :(

Mics : 4 Mics

Behringer C-1 LDC - Overhead (yes Mono Overhead)
Behringer XM1800S - Snare
Behringer XM1800S - Bass
Behringer XM1800S - Beside my right ear, pointed towards Rack Toms.

I eq'd the kick a bit. to just give it that Click Smack thing.. Snare and OH was left blank.. any ideas ?? Comments ?? Thanks.. :)

I'm a complete ignorant when it comes to computer recording. I'm a Tascam multitracker guy.
For having recorded with 4 mics you got a very good sound. I liked the attack your kick drum had.
On some songs it sounded saturated. Which could be fixed by lowering the input level when recording.
Other than that, I really liked it.
Cheers!

Not bad at all. Sounds like you got all your bases covered to make this a great track.

Yeah I'm hearing distortion when I turn it up all the way too.

The snare is mighty dry and could sound better if you livened it up a bit and brought it up a touch. If that dry snare is exactly what you want, skip this paragraph. If you want to liven the snare a bit, put a touch of a convincing small "drum-room" type reverb on the snare track and compress it probably between 4:1-5:1 just a touch where the threshold is barely kissing the overall levels.

I'd probably bring the overhead cymbals down a touch as well. They're cutting through everything so much more than the bass and snare- so you don't need as much there.

I think the bass drum is just a touch too muddy and could stand to use more beater definition for the patterns that are played to level out the punch of it more. It sounds like you have a good amount of low-end respresenting, just need a little more high end definition to complete it. That would likely tighten up the sound.

You have a mic or pre somewhere buzzing mighty bad somewhere. You might want to track that down before recording again. First thing I would check for is if you have a phantom powered condensor mic anywhere within 6-10ft. of a flourescent light. The flourescent ballasts have a tendency to bugger with condensors. Turn the ballasts off and problem goes away. If your mics aren't anywhere near flourescent lights, you might want to troubleshoot which particular channels, mics or cords could be causing the offending buzz. This is really nit-picky and could be covered up by other instruments after you put them in, but practice due diligence in reducing it somehow in quieter passages or stops/breaks if you possibly can after you mix everything in but I'm sure you already hear that and know all this. :D

Other than that, nicely recorded. Kit sounds pretty good and fits for the style you're playing.

yeah, the other songs the drums are really saturated, cause I had to boost the Low end cause I couldnt hear the kick. haha..

So the drum tracks are good ?? Man, I really cant wait to get a Delta1010LT this April when I go to the states :D

Fritz : Yeah, I got my LDC Overhead around a foot or two away from my Lights.. My ceilings really low. Maybe its that ?? I hear it too.. I know its coming from the LDC .. cause when I mute it from my Mixer, It goes away. I never noticed any buzzing before this recording. any ideas on how to put that buzz away ?? Do i need to turn off the lights ?

Perhaps the Soundcard also Contributes to the buzzing..

I'll be adding a Delta1010LT, 2 MXL990's and a 57 to my kit :D weee.. cant wait :D

anymore Critiques ?? :)

DOH!...here I nit-picked you as if you've got seperate tracks to manipulate after-the-fact. Sorry. My bad. Well then, more kudos to you for your recording. It's harder to get such a leveled mix like that when just going straight from the board to summed stereo.

About your mic buzz...
Just listen for it next time before you track. If you hear it again, turn the lights on and off to see if it's the source, if it goes away when you turn off the light(s) then there you go. :D

If it's not the light then odds are likely that you have a weak cable somewhere in your signal chain. Work from the mic cable back (as far as to your PC if you must) until you can isolate the offending cable and stop it by replacing with other cables you established are functioning properly.

Worst-case scenario would be an open-ground electrical issue (which is the hardest to kill) or some other electrical "gremlin".

Do you think my Drum Sound would improve A LOT once I change my Overheads to MXL 990's ?? thats gonna be 2 MXL 990's so I get a Stereo Image??

Cause I only have 1 Behringer C-1 On the recording.

Im trying to save up as much as possible. So instead of getting Tom Mics maybe it'll sound better or more "good" than this recording with only 1 OH. and just go 2 OH (Mxl990's)

I think your drum sound would be better, "alot" is kind of a relative term, so it's hard to say....I personally would want a stereo image before individual tom mics

what would the benefits of Individual Tom Mics be ?? Compared to just 2 OH ??

Cause I keep on reading articles or threads that just 2 OH would be enough, even though not Individual Tom mics. Im playing Metal BTW. if that matters.

Back