Critique my drums..

jamesduysen

These are some drum I recorded for this purpose alone..
DW Drums
sm57
sm58
sm58
pg52
ber1 for overhead...(just bought stereo pair)

advice please...thanks

drums

My Two Cents

Here's a few questions:

1. What is your overhead mic position for each mic relative to each other and then releative to the drums?
2. Did you check the levels of your tom mics first and then bring up the overheads? To me that's what it sounds like you did. You'll want to get the drums sounding good with the overheads first, or at least as good as you can with the room you have to work with. Then you want to bring up the kick and make sure that sits well with the overheads and there are no phase problems. Then the snare. Then everything else. Close mic's are really only there to pick up the attack and maybe, if you like the sound, add some bottom end to your toms.

The real key here is to get the drums sounding good with just the kick and overhead mics and then add everything else after that. Then you just mix to taste.

-JV

was this done with one overhead or two? It sounds good for the most part, just work on mic placement. The cymbals seem far away and sort of tinny. Does this mix have any eq done to it? The bass drum seems a bit muddy.

yeah, i suggest moving the over heads closer to the cymbals but more away from the drums to prevent to much leak

Back