Critique my drumming?

D,
I offer a few nit picks.
There are numerous times your snare hits are behind the beat just enough to drag a little.
If this song is going to have any vocals, or other instrument leads the drums are too busy.

That would be my only negative critiques.
How long have you played drums?

Tom

yeah, timing wasn't all there. you hit the (china?) always at the wrong time. like you hit it a lot, and it was always hurting my ears to hear it when it cmae on.

give the bassist a click for the beggining to keep them in time,

Apart from that it was good, but sounded a bit 'tense' timing wise, try playing it a bit slower.

My 2 cents anyway.

I didn't think timing was that bad... I've heard Tommy Lee drum way worse out of time and he is an arena star! lol. I thought the guitar player ought to strum a little more in time personally. AS for levels I think the snare should come up a tad more.

Depends on the tour my good man! Girls girls girls they were a freakin mess.. all of em! SO i should have said "consistently" keep time..and live. There are far worse examples though and you are right. On the dr. feelgood tour and the reunion tour he was pretty damn spot on. You get what I was trying to say though.. maybe I should have said Rikki Rocket?!! lol... :D

Depends on the tour my good man! Girls girls girls they were a freakin mess.. all of em! SO i should have said "consistently" keep time..and live. There are far worse examples though and you are right. On the dr. feelgood tour and the reunion tour he was pretty damn spot on. You get what I was trying to say though.. maybe I should have said Rikki Rocket?!! lol... :D

Lol. According to your profile, you were about 6 during the "Girls" tour. did you seem them live? :eek: :D

Get a metronome and play with other musicians who can keep time. A lot of the timing problems in this recording were not necessarily your fault.

You haven't answered how lung you've been playing. Relatively new? If you've just started you're making good progress. If you've been playing a while then you may want to consider a "wood shed" schedule on your own.

lol heck no! Although my brother did give me my first Scorps album when I was 6, I beleive around 88' I would have been 12. ( I'm 31 in a few months). When they were hooped up on goofballs they really sucked. However I suppose one could make the case that just because nikki Sixx was too wasted to play his three notes per song and Vince forgot his lyrics, that in theory, everything would sound out of time :rolleyes: Don't get me wrong though, I still love em and Shout at the Devil is one of my all time favourites. What energy, what a band! Let's go to the only resource we know.. youtube and see if we cannot confirm this drunken issue on time lol!! So i would agree with the poster above.. the thread starter should make sure everyone is playing in time. Generally shouldn't the bass and drums try to hold the band together and the guitars stay in time based on the rythm section? They were probably trying to keep up with each other somewhat and then fell out of synch. My thrash band was like that, we kept speeding up and the drummer kept going faster and faster and there was no way to tell him to let up. Good times though.

Not really man, I have been playing about 3 years or so and I am not much better.. its all relative. If you are hving fun but get better every year, who cares. Everyone devellops differently and at diff rates.

well, ive been playing around 4 or 5 years now i think.... kinda bad eh?

No, it's not bad by any means but it does sound like maybe you haven't been exposed to playing with better musicians or had a way to expand your abilities and grow your playing like you should. You sound like the average guy who's been playing 4-5 years.

First off, I'm not saying your technique is bad, but it could use a little more style...

I try to get as far away from the rhythms that the other instruments are playing. If they're playing a syncopated beat, I try to counter it to give the mix a little more pop.

Timing wasn't dead on, but you weren't the only one. Perfect timing is just as bad as horrible timing, as it takes away the groove or "pulse" of the song. With that said, that's only if everybody as a whole fluctuates accordingly. I would suggest a metronome.

work on double bassing, as it's a valuable tool. If you need tips on how to do it, hit me up via PM. It really breaks things up and adds spice to your drum sound. All in all I liked it, but it could get better. Hope to have helped in some way,

-Joel

well its def not my style almost reminds me of Primus or one of those really odd bands. This doesn't mean they're bad but it is def not what I have been taught to understand as to the purpose of drums. Honestly I think if it had been on time it still wouldn't have been anything pleasing to me. It just sounds like you're trying to show off and what not. If you like it go with it Slipknot made lots of fans from having drum fills every two seconds. I really don't think you are a bad drummer by any means but this is just not my piece of pie. I mean I admire steve vai and yngwie malmsteen but I just don't like their style they are arguably great guitarists.

I always go back and listen to old songs I've written to make sure I was thinking clearly. When I found a CD of some old recordings I did about 6 years ago I laughed so hard about how great I thought it was. Now I make sure that everything I write/record is something I would honestly go to the store and buy a CD to hear. I'm sure everyone has written a song and loved it and then a few weeks later looked back and felt pretty...embarrassed to say the least.

double bassing is a GREAT technique to get some extra rhythm pulse going. it sounds great, and is easy after a while.... do it

Do you double kick guys bury your beater? I taught myself not to bury the beater but lately when doing double kick, sometimes i find it benneficial to do this to tighten the notes and lessen the dribble.

Back