Compress Bass drum (mildly) to cover bad technique?

Blue Jinn

Rider of the ARPocalypse
Hello,

I'm not a drummer, but can keep time well enough for what I want to do. Kit is reasonable sounding "Percussion Plus" with a head and no hole on the front of the bass drum. Pedal is a little loosey goosey. Does it makes sense to run the bass drum through a (preamp first then) compressor prior to the mixing board, to even out my playing? It seems intuitive to do so, but opinions appreciated.

Why would you want to do this? I wouldn't patch a compressor in this way - just connect it to the desk using the usual insert cable. As for needing the compressor, I don't think this makes much difference if the drummer is good or bad - the kick gets treated to sound like you want, and moving the mic will do more than the compressor.

In my experience, compressing on the way in isn't the best idea-it can never be undone. Compress the recorded track after recorded to maybe even things out. Most important is technique. There is more to drumming than a good clock. Try tightening the spring(s) on the pedal ti make it respond quicker.

I've heard of drummers using a limiter to even out the kicks and sound more consistent.

Back