• Mapex

Votes: 49 7.2%
  • Taye

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • other

Votes: 107 15.6%

• Total voters
First kit:
Pearl Export c.1984 (12/13/16/14/22), Paiste 404 hihats, crash and ride, 505 china type, A Zildjian med-thin crash, K Zildjian splash and custom, Sabian HH Fusion hihats, spacetoms/rototoms (6/8/10), Ludwig Timbales (13/14 - ex John Shearer), Pearl single-chain Double Pedal, LP Wood Conga, cha-cha bell.

Current Kit:
Mapex M Birch (14/8/10/12/14/22), Pearl Eliminator, Tama Iron Cobra flexi-glide, Zildjian ZBT crashes, ride, hihats, drumdial, Drumracket soft cases.

Mapex drums are good quality for the price. If I ever upgraded I would still play Mapex.

There are many drum company in all over the world. I think latest company and I use this drum are:

1) Yamaha Drums.
2) Ludwig Drums.
3) Slingerland Drums.

I'm currently on a vintage (late 70's) Ludwig clear Vistalite kit. Probably the best sounding kit I've ever owned. 22" bass, 14" snare, and 13"/16" toms. So far I'm very pleased with the sound, as long as I control the dynamic. These drums can get VERY loud.

my kit

hi im stylin7777 and i am new to this forum. i was going to post some links to pics of my kit.but they say i have to have made 5 posts or more. anyway they are pearl vari pitch. each tom 8-10-12-14 has a 16 deep shell. snare is 11 deep. they each have a roto head. just tighten all the lugs down and spin the heads to desired pitch. the kick is wood and fiberglass and has regular tenison lugs. the toms have no bottom head like concert toms so they have a nice thick tone. i owned about 15 different kits before i found this kit i,ve been playing them for about 21 years now...thanks,,,,,,,,stylin7777

Ludwig today, Ludwig tomorrow. Ludwig for the rest of my life.

Had this thread been around in 1965 (the year my super classics were made) I'm nearly positive that all these pearl votes would be Ludwig votes. I have a masters myself also, with the right tuning it sounds as good as my Luddys. But there is something very attractive about old Luddys. I can't explain. It's like.... even if I put a torn drum head on my floor tom, it'll still sound great! I'd currently love a Sonor Delite or Mapex saturn though. European-made drums are, at the moment, yeas ahead of American-made ones in my opinion.

Pearl Drums-best reason to play drums as they say--also have a nice Ayotte at my church that sound amazing-Pearl hardware is second to none though (Except maybe for my DW foot pedal)

for sure my 1966 Super Classic Ludwigs have a sound of their own-I just think my Pearl drums have come a long way in technology and up to date sound. (not to mention hardware that is light years ahead of Ludwig) with that said, I WILL say my Ludwig Supra-phonic snare still kicks any other snare's butt out there!

I got the Pacifica set because it was affordable. I'm not really a drummer, just wanted a kit so the various drummers I jam with wouldn't have to drag their kits around.

What brand of drums?

CURRENT KIT:
My current kit is a 5pc SONOR FORCE 3001 in translucient cherry red. It has a 22" kick; 10", 12", and 14" suspended toms; and a 14" x 5" wood snare. The hardware is of course a mixed bag of stuff as are the cymbals, but the pedals are DW7000 double kicks. I can't play double bass for crap but they feel nice when I try.

I haven't been paying attention to my kit until recently when I started looking at it more as a studio piece. So I tore it all apart and cleaned everything, and tighted up the hardware to minimize the odd rattles and such. I put on some Evans G2 coated heads and spent a good amount of time trying to get them tuned up. Now all the kit needs is some new bronze. There are far too many "orange" cymbals for my liking and not enough "yellow" ones if you get my meaning.

I do have a Sabian 10" and 12" AA splashes, and both a 16" and 18" AAXplosion crashes. So for the hats, I'm looking at going back to the Sabian 13" Fusion hats that I had on my first kit. The ride I'm still debating on. I have been thinking about the Studio line as they are designed to be a little quieter than others. This would be good news for me because I'll be playing in my house, not the local dive bar. Plus with the slightly reduced output, this will afford me a bit more headroom before overloading.

HISTORY:
3rd kit - The Sonor kit
2nd kit - Roland TD6 6 piece. Still have it but the brain is fried and the snare mesh head trigger got broken during a deployment (dont ask) I'd love the big daddy V-drum kit, but it's just not in the budget.
1st kit - Mid level Tama 7pc in trans gray-green. It had 8",10", 12", 14", and 16" floating toms, a 22" kick, and a 14"x6" steel snare, double pedals, and a crap ton of Sabian cymbals. I had to sell this kit due to a move, which sucked.

Anyway that's more drum story than you asked for but there it is.

Here's an older pic of the kit. Not the greatest but you get the idea. You can't really see it in this one, but it's actually a wood grain, not a wrap or sparkle (thats dust :facepalm: )

Last edited:
I use Pearl most of the time. Love how their bass drums sound (although that would really depend on your setting) and I like their cymbals as well. Have tried others like Premiere and Peavey as well but Pearl is what I like most probably because it is what I own.

Back