CAD PDK Not Performing

lthrbls

I recently decided to try out the CAD PDK3 drum mic package. We recorded a few songs, and my results were not as suspected.

I placed the kick mic about two inches into the opening of the bass drum head. The sound is not punchy at all. We tried with no insulation, and a lot of insulation in the drum itself. Would placing the mic closer to the beater head be a better option?

The tom mics sound DECENT. The screens covering the mic head did fall off twice during the recording though.

I can return these mics (paid $200) and get my money back. Would using a Shure Beta 52 on the kick and SM57 or SM58 on the toms be a better solution than these three CADS?

I wanted to avoid paying top dollar, but these mics don't seem they are fit for recording. If the beta and the 57/58 combo would be better, I will go to the store TODAY! :)

You help is appreciated.

Thanks

I use the Beta 52 on my bass with an aquarian head package. The mic is great but the real difference came when I went to the new heads. They have a felt ring glued on the outer rim and helped alot. I bought one of those CAD kits with 2-10s and an 11 (kick mic?). I use the 10's on my toms and the 11 on my floor. They work fine for what I'm doing. I don't record so theres no replay to contend with. I also use a 57 on the snare. My friend bought the new CAD set and hated them so they may have changed somthing, but I really like mine. Try eBay for a good deal.

That cad mic kit was my first drum mic set and I experienced the same things you mentioned. I have a d112 in the kick now and wow what a HUGE difference. I also am using the aquarian heads on the kick and they are awesome, but a little pricey. Definately worth it though. I would recommend a better kick mic. The b52 has some good reviews as was stated above and the d112 is good too. A 57 on the snare and a decent pair of overheads. You could then just use overheads to pick up toms or use a couple of your cads if tracks allow and season to taste.

thanks

yeah, that is basically the advice i have been getting. i plan to use the akg d112 myself. i am in the process of looking for the best price. i will then use the ndm11 on the floor tom, and one ndm10 on the rack tom.

also, i have the cad cm17's for overheads. any luck with these?

Back