Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Buying first Electronic Drum Kit

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitargodgt View Post
    Honestly a roland will work fantastic out of the box and seems to play nicer with all of the drum VSTs out at the moment. If he can swing a Roland I say go with it.

I own superior 2, addictive, and SSD 3.5 platinum. Out of the 3 I like superior the most.

However I have had a chance to play SSD 4 plat on an ekit and must say it plays nice with the yammy I was on. It actually felt better than 3.5 does.

I only mentioned addictive because it seems to play nice with most electric kits out on the market. Superior maps fine for me on my roland but I had to mess with the notes on the ride because the bell was mapped to the bow.
    a lot of the vids i see are of AD, and i do like how natural it sounds and also has a great interface, just something keeps me going back to SD for my tracks. all i do i a basic drum beat for my songs untill he can redo the tracks, i do play the drums and am not bad, but i've never delved into the world of ekits , but i do feel confident that we'll get it sound great now that i've had a little help. thanks a f#ck lot dude. if i have any problems i'll be running back to you. LOL.. my drummer read all of this and said " why is this guy so helpful, must be a church goer " LOL. i told him that those who are excited about what they do are excited for others doing or attempting the same. anyway he and I say thank you very much, your obviously a pretty nice person, and we know we got a shortage of that in this world..

Peace

Thanks
    I think your drummer needs to go to a local shop where they have some kits available to play. I'm a long-time V-Drum user, having owned the original TD-5 and then TD-7 back in the 90's, now on a TD-8k (don't think they make these anymore). I've also played on Alesis and Yamaha kits, but didn't like them. For your drummer, so much will be determined by the feel of the kit, he really just needs to play some and see what he likes.

Most all of the modules on the market are going to have proper MIDI implementation to trigger software kits or samplers. The V-Drums react a little differently to these, but you might find that the internal sound banks on those are sufficient to use on their own (I do).

Also, look for the I/O options that will work for your situation. A module with stereo out only is, in my opinion, more of a toy than a recording tool. At a minimum, you need to track kick and snare through their own outputs and a stereo image of the rest of the kit. If you are strictly sampling through SD, though, this won't matter.
    David Swinehart
    OAKPARKSTUDIOS

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KineticSound View Post
    I think your drummer needs to go to a local shop where they have some kits available to play. I'm a long-time V-Drum user, having owned the original TD-5 and then TD-7 back in the 90's, now on a TD-8k (don't think they make these anymore). I've also played on Alesis and Yamaha kits, but didn't like them. For your drummer, so much will be determined by the feel of the kit, he really just needs to play some and see what he likes.

Most all of the modules on the market are going to have proper MIDI implementation to trigger software kits or samplers. The V-Drums react a little differently to these, but you might find that the internal sound banks on those are sufficient to use on their own (I do).

Also, look for the I/O options that will work for your situation. A module with stereo out only is, in my opinion, more of a toy than a recording tool. At a minimum, you need to track kick and snare through their own outputs and a stereo image of the rest of the kit. If you are strictly sampling through SD, though, this won't matter.
    Outputs aren't the determining factor here though.
    My home studio ---> www.nerolstudio.com

Thanks
    2,500 dollars should go a long ways if you are willing to look at used. I wanted an ekit so I could play at home whenever I wanted.
    I came up (locally) with a TD-20 Roland. All Hart dynamics mesh "drums", chokable e-cymbals, road case etc. even some of the original rubber cymbals. total 2500 bucks.

I dont play it any more, I love the acoustic kit so much more, so I did a studio at the house so I can play the big kit any time I want.

imag0043-jpg
    Why would you record music on a device designed to do word processing?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mdainsd View Post
    2,500 dollars should go a long ways if you are willing to look at used. I wanted an ekit so I could play at home whenever I wanted.
    I came up (locally) with a TD-20 Roland. All Hart dynamics mesh "drums", chokable e-cymbals, road case etc. even some of the original rubber cymbals. total 2500 bucks.

I dont play it any more, I love the acoustic kit so much more, so I did a studio at the house so I can play the big kit any time I want.

imag0043-jpg
    That right there is a really nice ekit. I probably would have preferred having the roland VH12 trigger on that setup though.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KineticSound View Post

As far as the 'most all of the modules are going to have proper...' part of your post - I don't see it. The major plug in vendors focus on vdrums.

Thanks
    There are mapping presets in superior under the mapping tab, but they don't list specific kits like AD or Slate does.

Thanks
    I've noticed this is an outdated thread, never the less if somebody is interested on updated suggestions, we made a buying guide with what we think are the best options available at the moment.
    Best Electronic Drum Set Reviews [TOP 11] Buying Guide 2016 | 2017
    Please let me know if you think we are missing something.
    Hope it helps!*

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay C View Post
    Hey all, my drummer is finally going to spend about $2500 on an ekit. we will be using superior drummer or ssd. there is a lot to choose from, what i'm wondering is,, is there a brand that we can get that we don't have to pay for the brand name? i realize roland or yamaha are probably the best , but is there anything of equal quality that will not be more expensive b/c of the brand? i bought a Blackstar amp, i felt like i was getting more for my money b/c the quality is there but cost less than say a marshall of similar specs. i felt like this b/c of popularity / name. am i at all right about that? any suggestions for a good ekit for about $2500.?
    Do you plan on gigging the kit or just use in studio? Build quality and Play feel (mesh heads v hitting rubber - multi zone triggers) on the pads is the only real difference other than that all e-drum pads operate pretty much the same.

Either way I would not spend the money on a drum module if you are just going to trigger samples - the module is a waste of money especially a TD-20 or 30 (I know I have a TD-20). All you really need is something like an Alesis Trigger IO to trigger the samples - like $125 verses 1K for a TD-20/30.

Thanks
    The Roland Handsonic is an awesome alternative for an electronic kit! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZwJj32cwiw

Thread Information