Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: boss dr-770 or alesis sr16?

Thanks

Question

Sign in to disable this ad
    hey folks, the subject says it all. what do you think? i need a bunch of different sounds for original music. need to use it live as well. any input appreciated. thanks!

tony

Thanks

Talking

I asked the same thing about two weeks ago. No one really answered.

To me it came down to this

Alesis SR16 for $199
    Or
    Boss Dr5 or 770 for $389.

I chose Alesis because of price and I only heard good things.

that being said, it is good. It was made in 1990 so I'm sure the Boss's are much better (just a guess) but they still update the chip in the Alesis periodically (at least I think they do.)

The alesis is good versatile and cheap.
    That's my 2 cents.

Thanks

Wink

hi, did you get a chance to listen to both? from the specs, it seems the alesis has better midi options, but it 'seems' the boss has more sounds and memory for programs and such. i wish i could hear both...

thanks!

tony

Thanks

Unhappy

I bought a dr recently and have not regretted too much yet besides the one individual output instead of 2 but hey this is a drum machine and I dont think that this thing will go live (at least not for me)Ill wait and get an MPC2000 (or is it MCP?) that thing will do everything! I use it mostly as an idea box
    I bought an electribe er-1 and had to take it back because I needed more sounds for my style of music, I sure wish I could have had both though it was just so damn fun to use!
    later

Thanks

Question

hey syn,

is that one ouput a stereo output? boy, i hope so! can the indiviudual sounds be panned?

thanks!

tony

Thanks

Wink

tony-
    I don't have any experience with the alesis, but what I like about the boss is the internal effects(which works on each sound individually, I think) and the ambience setting(effects that work on a pattern as a whole) & it does have a stereo l/r out.Personally, I'm trying to decide between the dr770 and the dr202. I'm going to go mess with them today, and I'll take a look at the alesis too. I'll post again if I have any more to offer.
    take it easy
    cricketking

Thanks

Thumbs up

I bought the Boss DR-770 after looking at the SR-16 and the ZOOM 234. I thought the Alesis was a great buy for the price, but ended up with the Boss mostly because of the amount of memory it has. You can store 400 user-defined patterns and can specify (I think) 10,000 patterns in 100 songs. I don't know if there's a shop nearby that will let you haggle a bit, but I got my Boss for $349, which was $30 lower than the sale price they were advertising.

I have no way to use the MIDI in and out yet so I can't comment on that. If you really intend to use this for playing live then the amount of memory in the Boss may be a good enough reason to buy it over the Alesis - unless you buy TWO SR16's.

I thought the individual instruments in both sound pretty good but I liked the Boss's a little better, plus you can do a rediculous amount of tweaking of each instrument. There's way more editing capability than I would use regularly, but I was able to build 6 kits (you can build 64) that get me through everything I play. I tweaked them like crazy to get them to sound the way I wanted but I'm really happy with them now.

[This message has been edited by DaveO (edited 02-08-2000).]

Thanks

Smile

One important question to ask is what style(s) of drums are you looking for. I have an Alesis SR-16 and would say it's great for realistic drum sounds, but not so great for the electronic kits. If you plan on doing techno, house, hip-hop, or basically anything that relies on good electronic kits, you might steer away from the SR-16. I've found their electronic kits a bit limited and sometimes a little weak for my tastes.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks

Wink

wow, thanks for the great replies! i'm gonna go for the boss dr-770. i checked one out at my local gc over lunch today and it seemed to the most versatile in sounds, memory, etc. pretty much what all you have just said :-) the only thing i couldn't by just demoing is if it can SEND midi time code. i'd like to synch it with my digi 001, dr sample 202 (tho ' i don't think it can read midi time code) and my oberheim echoplex digital pro. again, thanks for all the advice! it really helped. oh, btw, as for the sounds, i tend to use more techno, house, whatever and then blend in some real trashy authentic drums with the dr sample. i was doing it all on the dr sample and feeding the tracks seperatlt into the digi 001 and then synching things up manually. a major pita! i'm hoping by synching up the dr770 and sp202, it'll be easier and more fun :-) tho i think the best i can do is match the bpm between the two, we'll see. take care!

tony

Thanks

Thumbs up

good choice man I hope u have fun and if u ever come across a SysEx dump program that
    works with the dr-770 post the addy here
    (Ive been looking for one forever) that way
    you can back up your machine I think hey maybe we could trade patterns heh
    later have fun
    _Syn

Thread Information