The Black Keys Drum Sound

MikeEMBRACERS

Does anyone know what one would need to do to get the recorded drum sound on The Black Keys' Rubber Factory or really anything the White Stripes have done?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-CukK3eYt0

This sound?! Really? Jeeze... carelessly putting any microphone anywhere in the same room as a drumset, pointing in any random direction and pressing record would probably get results that sound just like that.

Yeah, because a low-quality, mono youtube video is totally an accurate sample of their sound.

Mike: https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=261264

Plenty of tasty info in that I can't be arsed to retype.

Yeah, that's right, because all of the other "low quality, mono, youtube videos" of other bands don't sound like that.

It all just the pretense of the abstract. The "band" says "Let's do something weird and they won't get it. We'll get it and only a few 'cool' people will get it too.".

Then everyone in the audience looks around and says "Uh...I...get it! I'm cool!! Yeah! I...get it!!".:rolleyes:

Not one person has the guts to say how lame that shit really is.

Just checked me out on Napster. Yeah I gotta agree with Hippo. Anyone can achieve that cheap, out-of-phase, sloppy sound with half-assed tuning and just sticking a few mics somewhere in the room. Not impressive at all.

It all just the pretense of the abstract. The "band" says "Let's do something weird and they won't get it. We'll get it and only a few 'cool' people will get it too.".

Then everyone in the audience looks around and says "Uh...I...get it! I'm cool!! Yeah! I...get it!!".:rolleyes:

Not one person has the guts to say how lame that shit really is.

istockphoto_2059246_hitting_a_nail_on_the_head.jpg

Wow! I went and listened with an open mind, regardless of the comments already made...and...MAN, is that bad. There's not even anything that would make me say "Yeah, it's lo-fi but it's different or interesting". It's just a shitty, raw sound.

Wow! I went and listened with an open mind, regardless of the comments already made...and...MAN, is that bad. There's not even anything that would make me say "Yeah, it's lo-fi but it's different or interesting". It's just a shitty, raw sound.

That's my hometown at work for ya...

Go Akron...

lol - I grew up in Tulsa, OK (home of the MMMBOP!!)

Everybody's got their own lame-but-somehow-successful hometown heroes to be proud of :p

This whole thread has made my day.

I like the comments like the last one
Something like...
"Find out what professionals do. Don't do what they do"

Made me lol.

I mean there's nothing wrong with sounding raw or vintage or garage-ish or whatever. But that black key shit is crap. That's just bad drum recordings. Not good bad, but bad bad.

I gave this some thought.

1. Find out whatever the professional studio engineers do to get an amazingly good drum sound.

2. Don't do whatever it is they do.

Hmmmm... I think I may have to disagree with you here - This is how I think it's done:

You spend a few years learning about how microphones, mic-placement techniques, room treatments, drum-tuning, drum selection, preamps, compression, equalization, and phase problems (and how to avoid them) work, all along the way recording your own samples of individual drum hits so you can see how much better each of your samples sounds than the last.

Now.. Here's the tricky part so pay attention and read it slowly while holding a cup of strong coffee....twice:

When you are finally able to record spectacular sounding drums, then you go out and buy the excellent Drumagog secret-weapon software, and use it to sound-replace all the fantastic-sounding drums you record now with the very first drum sounds you ever recorded.

I know it sounds like a lot of work... but hey - it just takes a lot of hard work and dedication to make your drums sound like the Black Keys. Nobody ever said it would be easy...

I should quantify my earlier statement about them. I've seen them live several times (they are from here after all), and they actually:

1. Put on a good show
2. Don't have that shittiness going on live.

I don't care for their engineer's (or their?) techniques, but their music isn't so terrible IMHO. I know that sounds completely batshit, but I'm weird, I know what I mean, and I have some sort of twisted hometown pride.

What's JordanD up to? Is he responsible for this?

Really now what do we know about the sound that the Black keys get?

Do they play alot of gigs? Do they sell cds? Are they popular?

Where do we get the nerve to say their drum sound sucks?
Whom decided the drum sound any of you guys get is the way its suppose to be?

How many of you Boys would trade places with the black keys in a heart beat? And use that drum sound?

Just because you boys can record a drum kit and make it sound like a drum machine doesnt make it good or the right sound.
In my opinion his sound is alot better than any kit that sounds like its a drum machine. Ill take old sounding and raw anyday.

I know it sounds cheap and junky. Good enough? Listen to The Raconteurs. That's a raw drum sound that sounds good.

Yes, yes, and yes. So does/is Jessica Simpson and Nickleback. Your criteria is weak.

The First Amendment

We all do. I like the drum sound I get, therefore it doesn't suck.

How many of you Boys would trade places with the black keys in a heart beat? And use that drum sound?
I don't know about any of these "boys", but I'm perfectly happy not being a member of the Black Keys.

Just because you boys can record a drum kit and make it sound like a drum machine doesnt make it good or the right sound.
In my opinion his sound is alot better than any kit that sounds like its a drum machine. Ill take old sounding and raw anyday.
Good for you. Have yourself a cookie and a tall glass of shut the fuck up. :D

It's a shitty sound. Fuck off.

Back