Beyer M88 pisses on the D112

Kaputo

(I read that somewhere on the bbs). I dont own either one, and im in the market for a bass drum mic. I have heard only good things in this bbs about the akg d112 until now. Wow, and i had my heart set on the akg.

Kap

yeah - I posted that remark - I have been using a beyer M88 for years and I've recorded over 100 albums in my 35+ years of recording - I reckon it is the best kickdrum mike it is smooth and handles high SPL really well and has a great bottom end.

Damn, now I have to look into it further, heh. I guess you just threw me with that remark. Is the M88 still on the market? Hopefully its in the same price range as the D112 ($219) Its just that i keep hearing this name AKG D112 everywhere and i tend to lean towards that. I played a fest tonight, and the sound guy stuck a D112 in my bass drum. thx John

Lates

Kap

[This message has been edited by Kaputo (edited 07-04-2000).]

Ok, I found out a bit more about the M88. But whats the damn price on this thing?
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~opmnet/place.html http://www.pixelite.com/windaw/techniques/messages/2276.html

This guy lists them as vocal mics: http://performingarts.net/Shafman/Hicks/tech.html

OOO, Electrovoice N/D868 (List $370) http://home.columbus.rr.com/mixthat/evnd868.html

Ok heres a good one http://www.meyersound.com/pubs/eq_jperez.htm
Julie Perez uses the M88 on the Conan show.
This must be a high end mic. (Doh!)

Your favorite newbie

Kap

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kaputo:
Well, I bought the AKG D112 from GC. I believe it to be the best one for me considering my budget.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Kaputo.
The M88 IS a vocal Mic, but it works really well for Kicks as well.
They go(If I remember correcly-we bought one about 7 years ago or so) for right around the same price as the D112.
I personally liked the D112 better for Kick-it all really depends upon what YOU like.
everyone has their own Kickdrum mic that they prefer.
My Favorite "kick" sound isn't even a kickdrum-it's a composite sample that I made of four things, and it's time aligned.

I have a friend who's a Producer (actually learned a bit under Alan Parson in the 70's), and He and I were discussing this, because he did alot of work with Petra using the Fairlight system in the 80's. I really know nothing about that stuff-but It all came down to the fact that I could CREATE a sound that I was searching for-from several sources, since it was not something that was achieved natuarally. I have no problem doing this, because for my own stuff-it sets "my sound" apart from everyone elses.
I've told several people that one of the ingredients to my own sound-involved sampling a Basketball on a Concrete flor-and using that "smack" as the mallet slap against the head....

Tim

Well, what im not sure what I like in a bass drum mic. I tried not to make this purchase a shot in the dark. Have yet to use it. Im really itching to try it out.

In the mean time, mabey I'll sample a basketball and mix that with the sound of an ape beating his chest and maby a watermellon hitting the ground from six stories up. j/k. (wish i could do something like that =) ).

Yeah, basketball, I read that in a thread. You the same guy who made golfball mallets? hehe. I know, how bout the sound a ping pong ball makes when you throw it in between some tight rafters, then slow it down and put octiver on it. that would be some serious techno double bass.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kaputo:
Yeah, basketball, I read that in a thread. You the same guy who made golfball mallets? hehe. I know, how bout the sound a ping pong ball makes when you throw it in between some tight rafters, then slow it down and put octiver on it. that would be some serious techno double bass.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, that was me. When we started out recording-all we had crap; 2 Radio Shack "Mixers"(if you could CALL them that! Hahaha) which fed a 10-band Home stereo eq(each 4x2 mixer fed each side of the EQ), and that went into an old Sansui Reel to Reel recorder.
Then we had 2 homestereo tape decks.

You 'll LOVE this trick! Hahaha

We had one dual cassette deck that could play both decks at once-and you could hear them at once!
We had wired a switch in between the outputs of each cassette well-and the stereo output of the whole unit.
This allowed us to turn the SOUND of the second tape deck off-while it was still playing.
what did this do?
Well, we could put a pair of new tapes into the machines-start them at the same time-and add FLANGE whenever we wanted to. We would flange the part we wanted flanged-and then turn the other output off.

What's odd though, is that that was the only tape deck that ever worked that way for us-when it finally died a slow death-we never found another that worked the same-they all tended to get "off", and the flange would turn into a delay-because the second tape deck didn't keep up with the first one.

For reverb we used a Tube reverb that I got for less than $20 bucks at a yard sale; they said it was broken, but it just needed a tube. Sounded great.

For a bass drum mic, (it gets better)
Actually-Now that I think about it, this was pretty inventive! Hahaha
We used a Home stereo speak wired in reverse! So, it was a 8" woofer that we wired a 1/4" jack to, so that we could plug it into our Mixer-Then we put the speaker inside the kickdrum. (It was in a speaker box that we pretty much completely stufed with Insulation)
Worked killer for a Kick mic.
Hahaha

You have to figure-I was a teenager, and 4 track cassettes were still in the $500+ range. So, after 8 months of my "inventive recording" -my parents got us a 4-track.

Tim

Back