Thread: Beyer M88 pisses on the D112

Thanks

Wink

Sign in to disable this ad
    (I read that somewhere on the bbs). I dont own either one, and im in the market for a bass drum mic. I have heard only good things in this bbs about the akg d112 until now. Wow, and i had my heart set on the akg.

Kap

Thanks

Wink

yeah - I posted that remark - I have been using a beyer M88 for years and I've recorded over 100 albums in my 35+ years of recording - I reckon it is the best kickdrum mike it is smooth and handles high SPL really well and has a great bottom end.

Thanks

Wink

Damn, now I have to look into it further, heh. I guess you just threw me with that remark. Is the M88 still on the market? Hopefully its in the same price range as the D112 ($219) Its just that i keep hearing this name AKG D112 everywhere and i tend to lean towards that. I played a fest tonight, and the sound guy stuck a D112 in my bass drum. thx John

Lates

Kap

[This message has been edited by Kaputo (edited 07-04-2000).]

Thanks

Wink

Ok, I found out a bit more about the M88. But whats the damn price on this thing?
    http://www.ozemail.com.au/~opmnet/place.html http://www.pixelite.com/windaw/techn...ages/2276.html

This guy lists them as vocal mics: http://performingarts.net/Shafman/Hicks/tech.html

OOO, Electrovoice N/D868 (List $370) http://home.columbus.rr.com/mixthat/evnd868.html

Ok heres a good one http://www.meyersound.com/pubs/eq_jperez.htm
    Julie Perez uses the M88 on the Conan show.
    This must be a high end mic. (Doh!)

Your favorite newbie

Kap

Thanks

Wink

Well, I bought the AKG D112 from GC. I believe it to be the best one for me considering my budget.

Thanks

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kaputo:
    Well, I bought the AKG D112 from GC. I believe it to be the best one for me considering my budget.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Kaputo.
    The M88 IS a vocal Mic, but it works really well for Kicks as well.
    They go(If I remember correcly-we bought one about 7 years ago or so) for right around the same price as the D112.
    I personally liked the D112 better for Kick-it all really depends upon what YOU like.
    everyone has their own Kickdrum mic that they prefer.
    My Favorite "kick" sound isn't even a kickdrum-it's a composite sample that I made of four things, and it's time aligned.

I have a friend who's a Producer (actually learned a bit under Alan Parson in the 70's), and He and I were discussing this, because he did alot of work with Petra using the Fairlight system in the 80's. I really know nothing about that stuff-but It all came down to the fact that I could CREATE a sound that I was searching for-from several sources, since it was not something that was achieved natuarally. I have no problem doing this, because for my own stuff-it sets "my sound" apart from everyone elses.
    I've told several people that one of the ingredients to my own sound-involved sampling a Basketball on a Concrete flor-and using that "smack" as the mallet slap against the head....

Tim

Thanks

Wink

Well, what im not sure what I like in a bass drum mic. I tried not to make this purchase a shot in the dark. Have yet to use it. Im really itching to try it out.

In the mean time, mabey I'll sample a basketball and mix that with the sound of an ape beating his chest and maby a watermellon hitting the ground from six stories up. j/k. (wish i could do something like that =) ).

Yeah, basketball, I read that in a thread. You the same guy who made golfball mallets? hehe. I know, how bout the sound a ping pong ball makes when you throw it in between some tight rafters, then slow it down and put octiver on it. that would be some serious techno double bass.

Thanks

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kaputo:
    Yeah, basketball, I read that in a thread. You the same guy who made golfball mallets? hehe. I know, how bout the sound a ping pong ball makes when you throw it in between some tight rafters, then slow it down and put octiver on it. that would be some serious techno double bass.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, that was me. When we started out recording-all we had crap; 2 Radio Shack "Mixers"(if you could CALL them that! Hahaha) which fed a 10-band Home stereo eq(each 4x2 mixer fed each side of the EQ), and that went into an old Sansui Reel to Reel recorder.
    Then we had 2 homestereo tape decks.

You 'll LOVE this trick! Hahaha

We had one dual cassette deck that could play both decks at once-and you could hear them at once!
    We had wired a switch in between the outputs of each cassette well-and the stereo output of the whole unit.
    This allowed us to turn the SOUND of the second tape deck off-while it was still playing.
    what did this do?
    Well, we could put a pair of new tapes into the machines-start them at the same time-and add FLANGE whenever we wanted to. We would flange the part we wanted flanged-and then turn the other output off.

What's odd though, is that that was the only tape deck that ever worked that way for us-when it finally died a slow death-we never found another that worked the same-they all tended to get "off", and the flange would turn into a delay-because the second tape deck didn't keep up with the first one.

For reverb we used a Tube reverb that I got for less than $20 bucks at a yard sale; they said it was broken, but it just needed a tube. Sounded great.

For a bass drum mic, (it gets better)
    Actually-Now that I think about it, this was pretty inventive! Hahaha
    We used a Home stereo speak wired in reverse! So, it was a 8" woofer that we wired a 1/4" jack to, so that we could plug it into our Mixer-Then we put the speaker inside the kickdrum. (It was in a speaker box that we pretty much completely stufed with Insulation)
    Worked killer for a Kick mic.
    Hahaha

You have to figure-I was a teenager, and 4 track cassettes were still in the $500+ range. So, after 8 months of my "inventive recording" -my parents got us a 4-track.

Tim

Thread Information