Best way to utlize my mics to record drums?

lilold3chordme

Hey everyone, I realize that there are probably countless threads on this already, but I'm about to record live drums for the first time ever, and I was looking for some advice on how to best use my limited selection of mics:

2 SM58's
3 SM57's
1 Beta 52A
1 NT1A

My plan was to use the 3 57's to close mic the snare and toms, one 58 to close mic the floor tom, the other 58 to record the bottom of the snare, then use the NT1A as an overhead. Obviously, the 52 will be on the kick.

Is it practical to use one overhead mic? Or would it make more sense to use both 58's as overheads and forgo recording the snare bottom? Either way, though, I don't have enough mics to close mic the hi-hat, but from what I've read it doesn't seem necessary/essential to do so. Can I really get away with not close-mic-ing the hi-hat?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm running everything through a MOTU 8pre straight into an iMac running Logic Pro, and my band sounds like this: myspace.com/spiesspace. I'm hoping to record drums at an equal quality to the rest of the tracks on these songs. We'll just be recording in my (untreated) room, so I'm not expecting any miracles of sound. These songs will be used as demos to send out to some local venues so we can book some shows.

I was also considering covering the walls in the corner of the room my drum set is in with towels to eliminate some reflections. Would it be worthwhile to do this, or would that just create an different but equally unwanted room sound?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for the help!

Hey everyone, I realize that there are probably countless threads on this already, but I'm about to record live drums for the first time ever, and I was looking for some advice on how to best use my limited selection of mics:

2 SM58's
3 SM57's
1 Beta 52A
1 NT1A

My plan was to use the 3 57's to close mic the snare and toms, one 58 to close mic the floor tom, the other 58 to record the bottom of the snare, then use the NT1A as an overhead. Obviously, the 52 will be on the kick.

Is it practical to use one overhead mic? Or would it make more sense to use both 58's as overheads and forgo recording the snare bottom? Either way, though, I don't have enough mics to close mic the hi-hat, but from what I've read it doesn't seem necessary/essential to do so. Can I really get away with not close-mic-ing the hi-hat?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm running everything through a MOTU 8pre straight into an iMac running Logic Pro, and my band sounds like this: myspace.com/spiesspace. I'm hoping to record drums at an equal quality to the rest of the tracks on these songs. We'll just be recording in my (untreated) room, so I'm not expecting any miracles of sound. These songs will be used as demos to send out to some local venues so we can book some shows.

I was also considering covering the walls in the corner of the room my drum set is in with towels to eliminate some reflections. Would it be worthwhile to do this, or would that just create an different but equally unwanted room sound?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for the help!

I would use a 57 top snare,two rak toms(57) floor tom 58. the other 58 o h and the nt o h the beta is a killer kik mic.tune the drums well get some moon gels and take off the front kik head and mic then throw a blanket over that.www.sterlingsoundstudios.com

Back