BEST SOUNDING CYMBELS ON DRUM MACHINES

bc

I HAVE A KORG D-8 DIGITAL 8 TRACK. I TRIED OUT THE NEW ZOOM DRUM MACHINE AND YOU COULD NOT CONTROL THE VOLUME LIKE BETWEEN THE KICK AND DRUM. I TRIED THE ALESIS SR16 (?). MY QUESTION IS DOES THE NEW BOSS 770 SOUND BETTER THAN THE ZOOM AND THE ALESIS AND DOES IT HAVE BETTER SOUNDING CYMBEL SOUNDS WHICH I AM MOST PARTICULAR ABOUT. ALSO IS IT EASY TO PROGRAM AND IS THE MANUAL LOGICAL. THANKS FOR THE HELP.

I've found most drum machine cymbals to suck. If you have microphones already your better off buying a couple zildjian or even sabian crashes, and a good ride cymbal. Big $ but you will get a more realistic sound. Kick is great sampled. Really depends on the style of music your doing. Maybe there is a drum machine out there that does cymbals half decently, I've just never run across one.

I use the Alesis DM5 for my electronic drums, and the cymbals are not the best either. I am starting to invest in some Zildjian cymbals. I am going to start using real snares also. The snares are ok, but you cannot get the dynamics out of them. The toms and kicks are fine through the unit. I am interested in hearing how the DM-Pro sounds like though.

I agree with you all- - I own the Alesis D4 and it does a great job but if you are lookiong for good cymbal sounds then I suggest you waste no more time looking for them in sample modules and look for a deal on some real cymbals.

I think the engineers at Roland did an awesome job of fixing the decay problems found on most drum machines when they designed the Boss DR-770. However, the cymbal sounds themselves still suck. I am going to go the live cymbal route. I know what cymbals I like & want, but does anyone have any advice on what mic to use on just cymbals? I wouldn't have a clue. These are the mics I have now: Shure BG 5.0 (condenser), Shure BG 3.0, Shure BG 2.0, Shure BG 1.0, AT-?? (dynamic vocal) and a Rode NT-1. Would any of these do a decent job, or should I invest in a new mic(s)?? I want to know before I buy cymbals, so I can work a budget out.
Thanks,
Brad

[This message has been edited by Brad (edited 11-22-1999).]

Brad,

I find cymbals one of the easier things to mic. Even easier if it's the only thing mic'ed as opposed to a full kit. I think you will get great results with the Rode. I would mic them stereo though, maybe 2 Rodes, or maybe the rode and the other condensor.

Emeric

I notice a lot of questions about how to mic certain instruments and thought I'd give a helpful suggestion.

If you go to your local bookstore (the bigger the better), check out the magazine racks for "Mix" and "EQ" and the other big name publications. They always have interviews with big name producers and engineers about their latest (and sometimes classic) sessions. They almost give away priceless kernels of knowledge on how they're micing things and related info. Granted they use microphones and gear that we'll never even get to be in the same room with much less own, but it can give you great ideas on the technique of mic placement. For instance, I recently read an article with an engineer who always uses the same mic for kick drum and bass guitar. He claims that you get a tighter feel in the rhythm section by doing this. The article was accompanied by a breakdown of the mics he used and a diagram of his placement of the mics. Not a bad way to get pro-level info.

Back