4 track/drum question

Mikey

Whats the best way to get drum recordings onto my tascam 414 portastudio? I don't have a drum kit so i was looking for a drum pad or a drum machine type thing.. I also downloaded some drum programs but I wasn't impressed with the sound at all.. I need a good drum sampler for rock type of music.

Check out your local newspaper classified ads for a used Drum Machine. Some good ones to look for are: Roland(Boss),Yamaha or
Alesis.

Dom Franco

Mikey:

I just got my 3rd drum machine; Boss 770. It has great sound and many, many patches of all types of rhythms: Latin, Rock, Fusion, Confusion, etc.

It also has 400 spaces for your own drum pattern creations. Although it takes some time to create patterns, it is a good way to LEARN your drum machine.

Rent a 770 and see what I mean. I also have an Alesis but the 770 is better. The Yamaha drum machine I first had was "nice" then; however, no comparison to the sound quality of the Boss 770.

Best price I found for the 770 was about 361 dollars plus shipping from Full Compass.

Happy Shopping,

Green Hornet

If your'e looking to avoid that cheezmo techno dance sound... look into an Alesis HR-16B. At least they try to use samples that sound like real drums... Sometimes they succeeed... They are awesome for programming flexability, though... Any time signature you can write... it can play. So the toms sound like Phil Collins in an overpass... still its a great tool.

If you want to avoid that risgid drum machine sound I'd say go for a drum module - it has quality drum sounds, but no pre=programmed patterns. Go to this page to see how you can build an electronic drum set for under $40. Look for a used Alesis D-4 - they are very cool

Ld

If you can, try out the Zoom RhythmTrak 234...I'm real pleased with mine, it has a great selection of drums, percussion, and bass. It's especially good if you're not looking to spend a bunch of money...$280 from Musician's Friend or AMS catalogs.

Back