1950's'

RIMBAUD

How do I get that vintage 1950's', like Jerry Lee Lewis sound on my drums? Is there specific drum heads I should get?

well back in the 50's the drum sizes were a little different first off. definately bigger kick drum 14" x24" maybe. try calfskin heads - no plastic (mylar) heads in the 50's
no hole in front. no muffling except maybe felt strip batter side. gut snares possibly + wood snare drum probably 12" tom or 16" or 18" floor tom. One mic in mono probably ribbon mic would suit you best. try recording in a big room very ambient. cymbals would probably be old zildjian a if you can get or have some. throw som moon gel on the cymbals. they weren't quite as bright as some of these made today.
pitch the toms up a bit coated heads on bottom possibly remo ambassador. try fiberskyn heads on the toms if you cant get calf skin heads. loosen up the snares a bit for a little more trash. most snares were 6 or 8 lug. if you are using a 10 lug try pitchbending a few t-rods. hope that might help in some way

Aquarian makes drum heads (American Vintage) that simulate calfskin heads - they actually do a good job of reproducing that "warm" sound. Calfskin heads did not allow as bright of attack as plastic heads allow. If you can't find the Aquarians, I would suggest single ply coated heads (such as Remo Ambassador) tuned relatively low with limited muffling (for a more open sound)

In the 50's drums were traditional sizes - snares were almost always 14' x 5 1/2" with relatively loose snares (the sharp snare attack we are all accustomed to was not the norm in the 50's), mounted toms were 12" x 8" (and 9" x 13" - although 5 piece kits were not common) and the floor tom was 16' x 16'. Bass drums tended to be 22" x 14" - with both heads on and no hole.

Close mic'ing (with multiple mics) was not done - normally one area mic (and even then the area mic was intended to capture the entire band) with placement being key for proper blending.

petermiller said:
well back in the 50's the drum sizes were a little different first off. definately bigger kick drum 14" x24" maybe. try calfskin heads - no plastic (mylar) heads in the 50's
no hole in front. no muffling except maybe felt strip batter side. gut snares possibly + wood snare drum probably 12" tom or 16" or 18" floor tom. One mic in mono probably ribbon mic would suit you best. try recording in a big room very ambient. cymbals would probably be old zildjian a if you can get or have some. throw som moon gel on the cymbals. they weren't quite as bright as some of these made today.
pitch the toms up a bit coated heads on bottom possibly remo ambassador. try fiberskyn heads on the toms if you cant get calf skin heads. loosen up the snares a bit for a little more trash. most snares were 6 or 8 lug. if you are using a 10 lug try pitchbending a few t-rods. hope that might help in some way
Good stuff there.
I'll add to use wood-tipped sticks, and a soft-felt beater.

when I had first talked to roy burns when the vintage heads came out I believe they were made to fit over the inconsistant and slightly out of round bearing edges on drums from the era. and yes they do a good job for that purpose you had mentioned. I do think that the style of recording would make the most diference when all is said and done. 1 mic thats all, all drums played wide open.

oh yeah one more thought!!
roll of all frequencies from around 200hz down. Music in the 50's was mixed to be played on AM radio you would be supprised how much of a difference this makes.

Back