14 inch rockstar snare tune

mmistudent

hey guys... I'm a novice drummer and I'm gonna be replacing my top and bottom head on my snare as well as my chains (they've stretched badly over the years) on my 14 inch steel tama rockstar snare. I was wondering what kind of heads to get. I'm looking for a snare sound that projects loudly... like the kind you can feel in your chest. No resonance (but I could pick up a donut for that). Thanks for your help guys

oh, and as far as tension, should the top or the bottom be any more or less tighter than the other? I'm lookin for a tight, loud snare sound.

My opinion is to buy the Evans dry vented coated head for the batter. It has a ring of pin holes around the periphery of the head that allows it to be very dry without being stiff or heavy.

As for tuning, if you want maximum sustain of the tone of the shell ( I am not talking about head ring) , find the resonant note of the shell ( by tapping on it without the skins on it) and tune both heads to the same pitch. It will make the snare bark!

Well I have the same snare as you and use the CS (controlled sound) from Remo for the batter side (with the dot) tuned high with very little sustain.
Still have the Tama head for the resonant side and it sounds great. :)

Coated ambassador on top/ clear emperor on bottom. If you want a nice crack to your snare, tune both sides pretty tight. I usually tighten the bottom a little higher than batter side.

I use a Remo EmporerX tuned really tight. As in tuned so you can hear glue cracking.
I tune the snare side a bit lower than the batter.
Dry, with no real ring at all. And loud.

Back