VPN Pros? Cons?

So, the upside on a VPN is that you become harder to track. While your internet provider knows you have connected, that is all they know. Everything in a "secured" connection. It is also used as an internal networking so you could have two connections across the world, when you connect, that connection is a secured connection. Much more difficult to hack or trace the connections.

A good case for example, one person is on the east coast another on the west coast and you want to create a secure network connection. This would be done with a VPN. I t would be like an internal network connection, with a firewall, sharing files, RDP, etc. without concern for exposing computers to the outside world.

VPNs were first used by large corporations to extend their networks from LAN, MAN to a WAN.

Unless used for networking, main purpose is it makes your data/browsing habit harder to track.

It's been part of my smartphone setup since I first got it 4 years ago. As far as my habits being tracked, I don't think it interferes with that as I get a lot of targeted ads. Except for the occasional browser hijacker, I don't see any negatives. Everything appears to be very secure. I will note that I always keep Bluetooth and Wi-Fi turned off just to be on the safe side. It's always invisible in the background, except for the occasional reminder icon in the header.

You are being tracked by your browser, that is where some of the "private mode" setting come into play. What can't be tracked from outside of the equipment, is your connection log, except by the VPN provider. When you go online through a normal IP, you are on "their" network. They can track you down to a nat's ass because you are on their server. They know what your IP assigned address is, then you leave a connection trace. This has been possible for decades, so not new.

In case you were being tracked by the FBI, they would have to break the VPN (I am sure they can) or have to get the VPN provider to provide your digital history. How do you think the dark web even exists?

Anyway, there is a lot more to it than what I have provided, but I think you get the jest of a VPN.

You are being tracked by your browser, that is where some of the "private mode" setting come into play....

That's true. I have left the majority of those settings alone as long as I'm not getting tangled up in something.

In case you were being tracked by the FBI, they would have to break the VPN (I am sure they can) or have to get the VPN provider to provide your digital history. How do you think the dark web even exists?

I read somewhere that the so called 'dark web' is the 'actual' internet. A place where all websites that are put on the internet are. A place that existed until Google came along and gave you their version by only showing in their search results basically what they want you to see.

There isnt two internets as you are led to believe. Just the one big universe of websites all waiting for anybody to go there just like it was when we all used Netscape. (Remember those days). But you need a browser that allows you to see all.

Dunno if 100% correct.

Last edited:
A VPN is a safer way of using the internet. It allows you to use the internet without the website and other you visit tracking you back to you IP address The VPN gives you a false ip address usually from another country.

Certain websites in some countries will prevent people from outside that country accessing the website. You find this in Television based websites. A VPN allows you to gain access by giving you an IP address from that country.

I am told that a VPN will allow you to buy goods cheaper in some cases as well.

I read somewhere that the so called 'dark web' is the 'actual' internet. A place where all websites that are put on the internet are. A place that existed until Google came along and gave you their version by only showing in their search results basically what they want you to see.

There isnt two internets as you are led to believe. Just the one big universe of websites all waiting for anybody to go there just like it was when we all used Netscape. (Remember those days). But you need a browser that allows you to see all.

Well, that is correct. Everyone uses the same infrastructure. The difference is, how do you hide in plain site. You use firewalls for example to hide your network from the outside world. Because, to your point, there is only one big ass connection, that was the way it was built. But there is a subset of that running underneath. Banking transactions use "darkweb" type VPN technology for example. Cypto currency is based off of blockchain another type of VPN.

And this is where you are correct. What is exposed on the internet and what is wrapped in encryption (that is the darkweb). There are servers and VPNs that hop connections so that not only do you not know what data is in there, you have a harder time finding the source of origination.

"AES 256-bit encryption is the strongest and most robust encryption standard that is commercially available today" Now if you are some MIT dude, or a country, you can build even stronger. Your VPN provider would wrap your point to point in some type of encryption so you really don't worry about outsiders on your network, even though you are using the internet structure to connect.

A VPN is a safer way of using the internet. It allows you to use the internet without the website and other you visit tracking you back to you IP address The VPN gives you a false ip address usually from another country.

Certain websites in some countries will prevent people from outside that country accessing the website. You find this in Television based websites. A VPN allows you to gain access by giving you an IP address from that country.

I am told that a VPN will allow you to buy goods cheaper in some cases as well.

Comes back to the traceability. I know a lot of people use a VPN and say, a server to get around copyright laws. Example, When I was in Europe, Better Call Saul was released on Netflix the same time it was on, I think AMC. I was watching, not thinking of where I was watching, I had about two more episodes to go and then came back to the US. Well, I couldn't get the last two. Now, and I wasn't thinking, I could have connected to my company's VPN in Europe, connected Netflix and I could have watched it.

When I connect to my company's VPN in Finland, Google's language displays in Finnish. To the web, I look like I am in Finland, even though I am in the US. That is how a VPN can "hide" you in plain site.

A main UK television broadcaster does a lot of that as well. I think it may have or may have not agreements or payments from certain countries. If you are from a non agreement non payment country, then you cannot access their content. A VPN allows you to get around this.

A main UK television broadcaster does a lot of that as well. I think it may have or may have not agreements or payments from certain countries. If you are from a non agreement non payment country, then you cannot access their content. A VPN allows you to get around this.

Right, as it "hides" your origin of connection. So, if I am in the US and want to watch something in the UK, and everyone in the UK is allowed to watch that content, I connect my VPN to a server in the UK with a UK IP.

I started using NordVPN when a YouTube person I subscribe to had an affiliate link - and it lets me watch CBS TV - I like NCIS which is banned from being seen in the UK. The downside is that so many sites now use 2 step authentication every single time you try to log on to UK websites they have to send you a text or email, which is a pain. Oddly, Paypal seems immune, but I do tend to not use it for day to day browsing as it makes life difficult, and the cookies set on international company sites change your content for where you are - so Fedex and UPS think I am in the US. Even worse, one site thinks I'm in Russia and changes the language automatically! I am not sure if the tracking thing is as bad as we think - the targeted adverts I rather like, and have bought quite a few things because they were offered.

Actually, what bothers me about targeted ads from being tracked is it's narrowed sight. I'd rather be exposed to everything as opposed to items mainly related to my browsing history.

They know better. What you watch online gives them lots of info. A lot more than what Ads to bang at you.

If you have noticed there is a move now to get away from big 'G' and everything they try and control. People from those with political messages to even comedians are setting up their own websites with their full video content there, but give you a little sniff elsewhere like on YTube. The reasons are is that they can do what they like on their own websites and its all behind closed doors away from what big 'G' trys to control you seeing and knowing about.

Censoreship never works history has shown us that but it still doesnt stop people trying.

Is this related to www1, www2, 3.. 4... ?

Never heard of that what is it?

Here is a short explanation : Why Do Some Websites Have WWW1 Or WWW2 In The URL?

Years ago, I read that the web network was created for communication between college campuses and similar institutions (simple explanation). Then the world took it over and those campuses and institutions moved to www1.. or 2 - or something like that. Except for the current explanation contained in the above link, I have no idea of their true evolution or purpose.

Here is a short explanation : Why Do Some Websites Have WWW1 Or WWW2 In The URL?

Years ago, I read that the web network was created for communication between college campuses and similar institutions (simple explanation). Then the world took it over and those campuses and institutions moved to www1.. or 2 - or something like that. Except for the current explanation contained in the above link, I have no idea of their true evolution or purpose.

I see. I dont know. What was explained to me was that there is just one internet just like it was when you used Netscape and Jeeves.

But big 'G' has come along and made all websites in their results need to conform otherwise they will not get shown in their results. So just because a website doesnt show on Google and Yahoo results does not mean that it isnt there.

Of course there are some unsavory to nasty websites out there and you wont find them in those two's results. So you need to use a browser which allows you to see everything which is called Tor I think and a search engine which is independant. I cant remember what its called.

But the real internet is just the internet. Of course if you arent using the 'main' search engines of big 'G', then those people will demonise everything that isnt theirs.

A VPN will allow you to use the real internet without some dodgy website or program tracking you, or your own internet provider tracking you and providing that info to others. Doesnt mean what you do is dodgy.

Back