Stereo bounce question mixing down from tascam 424 to daw

Vahnunderdark

Hi, i have recorded songs on my tascam 424 and i am wondering what to do for preserving a stereo mix. I am going from the line out on the 424 directly through my audio interface to daw. The way i have recorded most songs is
track 1 drums
Track 2 bass
Track 3 left guitar
Track 4 right guitar (both hard panned L & R)
My question is when i am mixing in my daw i am bouncing down in stereo. Should i hard pan both tracks in ableton also or leave them at 12 oclock. Or should i pan each track somewhere in between? I know that mixing is subjective though i was wondering what some techniques other people use when doing this. Some songs sound fine in mono. Though if i was going to add vocals i worry there will not be enough room in the mix. Any info is much appreciated.

Yes i know recording digitally is bEtTeR. I personally like using tape. My main goal with this is to stereo bounce back to tracks one and two and record two more tracks for my master copy.

Sorry if this is confusing to follow. I am new to this forum.

Thank you !

I suspect the pan controls just affect the playback. In any case, record the left and right of the stereo mix as entirely separate audio tracks (typically in one stereo file). If you want to narrow the image, you can do it after digitizing as part of the mastering process.

I suspect the pan controls just affect the playback. In any case, record the left and right of the stereo mix as entirely separate audio tracks (typically in one stereo file). If you want to narrow the image, you can do it after digitizing as part of the mastering process.
hank you for the fast reply,

I forgot to mention i am going from line outs from tascam into tracks one and two separately. Both at 12 oclock in the daw. When you say typically in one stereo file what does that mean? Are you saying to just arm one track in the daw and have both left and right going in vs two seperate tracks. If that makes sense?

Thanks sorry for the confusion

I don't know Ableton, but yes, in most DAWs you can make an input a single stereo channel and it will record a single file with left and right channels. If the DAW records them as two separate mono files, that's fine as well. I would keep them fully panned at this stage because you can't really undo it if you partially pan them together, and you can easily do it later if desired.

Back