My studio build

He is the tidiest person I’ve ever come across. I have to scoop up vast quantities of rubbish every time I do something. Yesterday I vowed to coil up a mountain of cables. I uncoil one each time I get a mic out, and leave them in a pile on the floor.

Yes, I'm very OCD and Virgo with my clean and organized approach BUT I was also trained at the studio I worked at in the early 90s as a junior engineer to keep it organized and put it away every time, same spot. "there's a place for everything and everything in it's place" as the boss always said. That way you know where it is when inspiration strikes!

Ace, can't believe you've got a tuck and roll Kustom amp in there!!!! (y) They were so bad-ass when I was about 14-15! Our band used a black Kustom PA. I think it ran $900 way back then!

Ace, can't believe you've got a tuck and roll Kustom amp in there!!!! (y) They were so bad-ass when I was about 14-15! Our band used a black Kustom PA. I think it ran $900 way back then!
It's actually been in here the whole time but i had to have it crammed into the corner and unusable! It's a K100 and sounds great. I re-capped it when i got it, no noise at all. I use it mainly as a bass amp. I really love it!

Seriously, there is something nice about being able to organise like this. I can’t do it. I get messier and messier, then have a tidy purge and start again. Yesterday I put in yet another pair of cables for a bit of kit whee I needed it and discovered after I threaded the cables behind everything that it had clearly been here before, because there were already two cables there. Where the other ends are, no idea!

While my working surfaces are pretty good, the area behind the desk isn't. I have tidiness purges every now and again and sort and bundle all the leads and cables back there in that jungle. But no sooner do I do that than I find I have to isolate and pull out a lead for some reason, and everything gets all unbundled again..

Yeah....mine looks pretty similar to that. How about when you suddenly get a buzz that wasn't there before? You know.....one of those buzzes that just goes away when you twist the right plug or cable. A plug or cable that hasn't moved in months or years but is now maybe not connecting cleanly or 100%. Twist it and voila....buzz gone. But....as you're in the wire jungle you moved a different cable and now....WTF?

Mick

Now, I am the most untidy bugger on the planet. I am in the middle of tidying up my living room and bathroom because I am having my daughter and her husband over in a week or two for "tea". A stop over while they wait for her car to be MOT'ed a couple of clicks away. Nowhere for them to sit atmo, just MY space on a 3 seater settee!

BUT! I was fastidious about cables! When I had the spare bedroom setup as a 'studio' for son I had everything carefully planned and dressed for minimum hum. Unfortunately! Son was given to "experimentation" and so would re plug kit in an effort to find "That Sound". Then, days later he would come to me and say "Dad, why am I getting this noise on the left channel? I would have to contain my temper and re jig all the cables.
I got into the habit of doing a 'silent' recording. No inputs but levels set as about usual. Then play back through Right Mark Analyser and see if any hums popped up.

Dave.

never put a cable away is a great maxim - after all, you need them again. If we are showing untidiness, how about this then.

Attachments

• studio2.jpg
    studio2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • studio1.jpg
    studio1.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 11
Yup, sorry guys, way too OCD to have that out in the open! Now, behind all that equipment, inside my console desk, accessed from under and behind, there is a mess of coiled and labeled cables that looks like a rats nest by the time I got everything installed. I velcro tie groups together and I try to keep power seperated from audio. I’ll have to take a pic of that.
Now on my keyboard wall, I’m using audio and midi snake cables to keep it clean. They are super easy to deal with. I love my Brother P-Touch labeler, makes getting everything labeled and organized easy.
I’ve been this way my whole life, my Mom says I was the tidiest kid she ever saw, putting my toys away and organizing my stuffed animals and star wars figures, apparently I also kept my bookcase alphabetized! Now I’m just happy enough to have them in alphabetic groupings.

I wish I’d done this year back. My store now has boxes of power supplies all labellelled 3v, 5v, 6v, 10v, 12v, 16v and 16+v. They are all full, and I still cannot find the one for my Roland synth! Yesterday a 6v one would not work something yet a 5v one did! Stupi.

Back