high and low pass filters

Kingofpain678

Returned from the dead
im wondering if there is any general rule to applying high and low pass filters to guitar or bass tracks. it seems to me that 20 hz to 20khz is a bit wide for a guitar track and i think it would kinda take up room for other instruments in a mix. and i know usually its all personal taste but im hoping someone can help point me in the right direction.

is there only a certain range of frequencies a guitar or bass track should take up? are there any vst filters i can use? should i just use an eq and drop the unwanted frequencies down?

any information that anyone may have would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance - nic

As a typical guitar signal doesn't go from 20-20k, that part is moot. You can cut all you want - If there's nothing actually there, you aren't actually cutting anything.

You cut where you need to, leave what you can, take care of the sound at the core and you won't need any additional EQ.

alright i get it. i was confused about that and i didnt exactly know whether or not all of those frequencies mattered when tracking guitar and whether or not i should cut them.

thank you.

Guitar amps really only reproduce a full tone to 5k, then teper off and they're inaudible at 10k. Depending on the quality of your amp/speakers/gear in general, and what's being played, you may have quite a bit of stuff in the 5k-10k range, but if there's not a lot of distortion then it tapers off pretty fast.

I almost always high-pass the guitar, usually about 100 hz (even higher, if the part calls for it) to leave room for the bass and such. There's a lot of rumble that could be generated below the low E that you can just axe out (82 hz is roughly a low E).

well that presents another problem. you say low e has a lot of rumble, but im recording guitars tuned from e standard all the way down to drop b :eek:

this is all a bit overwhelming.....

well that presents another problem. you say low e has a lot of rumble, but im recording guitars tuned from e standard all the way down to drop b :eek:

Well (taking off my sound engineer hat and putting on my bass player hat) there is always a problem when guitar players that want to play BASS on their guitar.

Cheers

Alan.

yeah anything lower than drop c really bothers me. even drop c bothers me a bit. i never understood why people tune their guitars down so low... its more of a hassle than its worth.

but i feel i should be as accurate as possible when recording covers so unfortunately that means drop b on some songs :(

Speaking of low/hi cut "filters", I'm interested in how Hendrix must have been using them--maybe as part of his reverb settings. I'm not trying snag your thread, Kingofpain678, but you might also be interested if someone can come along and clear this up. Specifically, I'm looking for precise settings that allows one to have a soft "clean" sound when using a light "attack" with the pick, while getting a "crunchier" sound when using more pick-attack
(could also be amp-settings?). There was a time when I had a reverb app on my Boss SE50 exactly setup to accomplish this. Unfortunately, I never took the time to write these settings down, and I eventually zapped them from memory. I'll kiss your ass (or at least be your flunky for 6 months) if you can hook US up. Can anyone help? Many thanks.

If youre unsure, pop the guitars into the mix and listen back (NO SOLOING!), high-pass filter the track slowly until you hear it starting to sound too-thin, then pull back a smidge. Usually the bass lies in the sub region and the kick is more punchy and clicky when we're describing these tunings (newish metal band I presume?)

I'd also pop a low-pass on guitars usually around 10k, maybe even lower if need be. Can take out any hiss you may have on the track. But for guitars, normally >10kHz won't be missed :)

Cheers,
Phil

thank very much phil. much appreciated!

i always hate how my distorted guitar tones sound, everyone says its just that im way to hard on myself. but learning about these high and low pass filters and experimenting with them a bit using all this info i think i might be just one more step closer to being satisfied with my sound.

sounding much better guys! thanks for the help

Guitar amps really only reproduce a full tone to 5k, then teper off and they're inaudible at 10k.

It really depends on the guitar/amp/mic in question, Seafroggys. Ibanez Universe into a MEsa Dual Rec Roadster with a SM57, and I'll hear a low pass in the 12-13k range. But that said by and large you're correct that most of the sound is happening WELL below 20k.

I'm a seven string player so low B (and, very rarely, low A - I've gone as far as low E as a joke but mostly I play in standard) is pretty much de-facto for me. I forget exactly what the fundamental is from a low B note, but basically we're talking mid-60hz, instead of the 80hz which is standard for low E. I happen to disagree with you, for obvious reasons, that anything under C is garbage. It's a balancing act that depends on a lot of factors - drop C with a 24 3/4" scale Les Paul with a mahogany neck into a Rectifier with the gain up with stock pickups, and you've got problems - switch the pickups out for something brighter, or start playing a longer scale, or dial back the gain a bit, and it can work. It's a question of getting the guitar, pickups, and amp settings to bring out a bit more of the snap of the guitar sound, and aiming for clarity rather than girthiness (since tuned that far down you've got more than you need anyway).

Anyway, rather than low passing (and I guess, given a fairly high Q, you lose nothing by high-passing a guitar tuned to B at 50hz or so), I generally tighten up the low end a hair by rolling off a few DB through there. If the bass sounds too boomy, this is the less invasive way to dial it in, IMO, and if it doesn't, there's no sense in low-passing.

Speaking of low/hi cut "filters", I'm interested in how Hendrix must have been using them--maybe as part of his reverb settings. I'm not trying snag your thread, Kingofpain678, but you might also be interested if someone can come along and clear this up. Specifically, I'm looking for precise settings that allows one to have a soft "clean" sound when using a light "attack" with the pick, while getting a "crunchier" sound when using more pick-attack
(could also be amp-settings?). There was a time when I had a reverb app on my Boss SE50 exactly setup to accomplish this. Unfortunately, I never took the time to write these settings down, and I eventually zapped them from memory. I'll kiss your ass (or at least be your flunky for 6 months) if you can hook US up. Can anyone help? Many thanks.

I 100% guarantee you that sound you're thinking of has absolutely nothing to do with high or low-pass filters, and everything to do with a tube amp turned up to the point where it begins to overdrive.

That "Little Wing" sort of clean sound is just a strat into a Marshall, turned up loud enough so, when he put his picking hand into it a little bit, the power amp would compress and break up a little. If you were getting that out of a reverb or EQ, it wasn't because it was designed to do that, but because you must have been clipping the reverb, which I'd think would sound like shit.

yeah anything lower than drop c really bothers me. even drop c bothers me a bit. i never understood why people tune their guitars down so low... its more of a hassle than its worth.

Eddie Van Halen kinda started that...he had to so he could accomedate Dave's singing ability...but everybody imitated him.

im wondering if there is any general rule to applying high and low pass filters to guitar or bass tracks. it seems to me that 20 hz to 20khz is a bit wide for a guitar track and i think it would kinda take up room for other instruments in a mix. and i know usually its all personal taste but im hoping someone can help point me in the right direction.

is there only a certain range of frequencies a guitar or bass track should take up? are there any vst filters i can use? should i just use an eq and drop the unwanted frequencies down?

any information that anyone may have would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance - nic

Not exactly what you asked, but there is a possible reason to filter electric guitar and bass. I actually do it either on the way to the amp or the recorder if I record direct. Magnetic pickups are inductively coupled and the physics of that process is such that pickups produce a sensitivity that rises at 6 dB/octave (from the bottom end up until about the electrical resonance of the pickup/cable system, which is typically in the range of 3K to 7K, above which the response then starts to fall off due to the response of that resonance, which produces a high pass filtering effect (second order) which more than compensates and causes the high end to roll off.

If you want to get a more accurate representation of the sound of the strings, the best way is to use optical pickups. Failing that, you can compensate for the sensitivity rise with a compensating filter (6 dB/octave low pass filter) that gives a flat response below the electrical resonance. Just using that filtered tone ends up a little weak on the high end, which may be OK, but you can also mix a bit of the unfiltered tone back in which gives you more high end.

Rewiring the pickups (and switching to active pickups, if they aren't already) can raise the electrical resonance of the pickup/cable system. If you can get that up to around 15K, you pretty much have the natural tone just by using the low pass filter and don't need to mix the unfiltered tone in any more.

In my mixer, I can get about the right filtering on the way to the recorder by combining an 18 db boost with a shelving eq (about 6dB/octave) on the low end at 40 Hz (for bass, or 80 Hz for guitar) coupled with an 18 db cut from a high frequency shelving eq at about 3K. That gives pretty much a continuous 6 dB/octave slope up to 3K and leaves the high end flat, which sounds about right.

I find this to be a huge help in getting a natural tone on my bass guitar. It has only a single pickup very near the bridge, so it naturally confronts the issue of the pickup sensitivity rise, since there is no bass reinforcement to cover it up by reinforcing lower harmonics. Of course, there is also far less string damping from the pickups, too, which helps increase the sustain.

It's also interesting to hear how much fuller and more natural the bridge pickups sound on an electric guitar when the output has the compensating filter. It makes bridge pickups sound very pleasant and natural, not nasally and whiny. Of course, if you want a nasally and whiny tone, you should skip the filter and go with the voicing of the plain pickup.

Cheers,

Otto

Well, for the Crafty (CGDAEG) tuning, the low C is simply the way it's done. It's not a "drop" tuning. I suppose if I could tune the first string up to high B, I could leave the 6th string at low E, but just getting up to a high G is trick enough on a standard guitar scale.

Ideally, a fifths tuning really should have fanned frets because you need a bit longer scale on the low string and a bit shorter scale on the high string. The slightly longer Strat scale length does help a little bit, so that's my electric that is always tuned Crafty.

Cheers,

Otto

Back