Dr. Z Carmen Ghia for the studio.

Folkcafe

Hi all.

I am starting a collection for my small studio and I'm starting to look at amps. I have picked up a few acoustics and already had a couple of old electrics. I have read a couple of reviews for this amp and though it would make a good starting point. I have little experience with great amps. Although I have had a few amps over the years none have been really great amps. Peavey Standard with 4x12 BW, Musicman HD Lab Series L5. My only amp I currently own is a Mitchell I use as a practice amp (somewhat limited for recording). I need to find a short list of a few affordable amps that would in total give me the most versatility.

Any user feedback on this one would be appreciated.

Also any other suggestions (used or new, studio quality) that would round out the studio for Rock to Jazz and mostly anything in between would be appreciated.

Also any good Cab combo's suggestions for the Dr. Z and others would also be helpful.

Say you were starting out with around $2500 to start and maybe another $2500 in a year. How would you start and what would be on your short list.

Thanks

Don Goguen
http://www.folkcafe.com

I have good things about Dr. Z. I also have heard very good things about the THD Univalve head. You can change the tubes and therefore the sounds without rebiasing. Also, comes with a hotplate that lets you get a "cranked" sound without very loud volume. I am going to check one out this weekend. they are hard-ish to find, but I hear nothing but great things about the support, and have had good experiences with asking questions. they are coming out with cabinets you can drop the head into as well. cost about $850. 15 watts, class a.

other suggestions on a budget would be a Bassman 50. These are very reasonably priced used, vs. some of the crazy prices for other fenders. I have a few silvertones I really like and always lokoing for more of them -- they are inexpensive (though rising rapidly), and some are unreliable. However, my twin 12 sounds so great, kinda like an Vox AC30 crossed with a twin.

Reverend Hellbound is also a good choice, and fairly inexpensive.

I kinda liked the Fender Blues Junior, and 40 watt blues deluxes - about $350 for the Jr. $500 for the deluxe.

Check out the Tech 21 amp for 299.00 its a small wattage single
10 inch speaker job that sounds pretty good for recording.Also make a bigger version 60 watt with more features,I havent tryed it yet it seems like a really good amp for recording.With these and the Line 6 amps you can get a lot of good sounds for a small studio.

Don

Thanks guy's

My preference is to stay away from the solid state amp at the moment. This is not in anyway editorial on my part. I guess what I should say is that I'm looking for those out of the ordinary tube amps (low wattage).

So far besides the Dr. Z, my list contains the:

Clark Lil Bit
Kendrix 118
Carr Rambler
Top Hat Cadet
Holland 8 watt
Cornford Harlequin

Possibly a Budda or Victoria

All very off the beaten path kind of stuff.

Stuff like Marshals and twins are easy to come by. I have a few sources that I borrow from often. I would like to buy what I cant' borrow 1st.

Thanks and keep the suggestions coming.

i would really consider the THD Univalve head. I have heard some online samples of it, and it is great. Plus it has all the recording feautres you are looking for, and is 15 watts. look on harmony central at the reviews (though I always hate how EVERYTHING gets a 10). You can also see some reviews in the google groups.

Back