Dav Bg1

Sterling30

I was ready to move on one of these about a year ago then decided on an Avalon instead, the results were great and now I'm think of adding another quality pre-amp.

Why buy the DAV or which other 2 channel makes may be a better value in the $300-$800 price range?

I did the search and I see people trashing it left and right as poorly manufactured, using cheap components and comparing it to units that cost as little as $200 or less..

I was really hoping for some reasonable feedback from someone other than DAV #1 shill and the other barnacles on this boat.., maybe I'm in the wrong place for that.

Okay, I have one and I love it. Huge sound, very clean and incredible presence. ASnything I use this pre on sits well in a mix. Only downside is the phantom on both channels but that has not been ana issue for me. Also no DI.

Great for vox and cabs and acoustic guitar.

Sterling30 said:
I did the search and I see people trashing it left and right as poorly manufactured, using cheap components and comparing it to units that cost as little as $200 or less..

I was really hoping for some reasonable feedback from someone other than DAV #1 shill and the other barnacles on this boat.., maybe I'm in the wrong place for that.

If all you're going to do is search for someone to praise it, then email the company or something. Seems like you're just looking for someone to justify your purchase. BTW I've seen more than a couple of people around here praise the unit so you might not have searched quite hard enough.

I have a BG-1 and I'm very happy with it. It is clean without sounding sterile, and has a big open sound.

If you've read the posts from those knocking the BG-1, then you know that they've never heard, seen, or touched the unit in person. The only reviews you should care about are those from people that actually have used one, and I think you'll find the comments from those folks to be very much on the positive side.

to the OP

Here's how I look at it: (to paraphrase Sonic Albert)

The people who like it are the ones who own it. The people who are questioning it's quality are people who don't own it, and have more than likely never tried it.

While it's true, that sometimes folks will praise an item because that's what they have, and they want to make themselves look like they have something valuable, or to make themselves feel better about having blown the money on it so they need to justify it, I don't think that's the case here.

I have yet to see someone who has owned one, didn't like it, and gotten rid of it, then going on to bash it. That to me says it all.

And Chessrock didn't say it wasn't any good, just that, from the components used, he didn't see why it's price tag was so high. A valid question, though that has absolutley nothing to do with how it actually sounds.

I can't spend that much on a pre right now, especially since I have nowhere to use it. Otherwise, I would seriously consider it, based in large part on who is doing the recommending.

From what I have noticed -- not including myself -- those who have made critical comments about it have generally been the type who actually design, build, and/or service mic preamps and other high-end audio equipment.

This could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how you look at it. If you're in the camp that believes that it's the sound that matters and nothing else, and you happen to like that sound ... then all of the critical comments are all just a bunch of electronics whizes geeking out over a bunch of geek stuff that is ultimately of no consequence.

On the other hand, if you are a critical buyer who cares about things like what kinds of electronics are used and how the cost of a given piece of gear is justified from a design standpoint, etc. and if you feel that the design and components used are ultimately going to heavily influence the sound ... then you should really take note that some very knowlegable folks who understand this sort of thing ... don't feel that it is much of anything special.

It's a lot like shopping for computers. If all you know about computers is that you want something that works and is reasonably fast, then you are probably the type who just tries out various machines, and will buy the one you like, regardless of what kind of processor or how much RAM, etc. On the other hand, if you're type who is familiar with the various processors and know their capabilities and limitations, then you would probably fall in to the latter camp, and will look for the computer with the most RAM and the fastest processor, etc.

If the DAV were a computer, it would probably be an Apple, and if it were a processor, it would be an Intel. There are always going to be the geeks who will point out how an AMD is just as fast, but costs a lot less. Or that a PC will do the same things just as fast, but for a lot less $$. Just as there will be the DIY'ers who will point out how they could build one themselves for a very small fraction of the price, were they to order the parts from NewEgg. But there will also be those who will simply say: "I like my Apple. It works for me, and that's all that matters."

The wise shopper will probably take a little bit of both approaches.

Last edited:
getting OT here...
If the DAV is an Apple, then I guess I would buy it just for that. I suppose the sound would be the OS then? MAC users use MAC's because of the OS, in this day and age, the parts are pretty much OEM no?
Not in reference to the MACIntel's.

In retrospect I suppose the DAV must sound good :D

T

chessrock said:
If the DAV were a computer, it would probably be an Apple, and if it were a processor, it would be an Intel. There are always going to be the geeks who will point out how an AMD is just as fast, but costs a lot less. Or that a PC will do the same things just as fast, but for a lot less $$. Just as there will be the DIY'ers who will point out how they could build one themselves for a very small fraction of the price, were they to order the parts from NewEgg. But there will also be those who will simply say: "I like my Apple. It works for me, and that's all that matters."

The OS, I suppose, would be like the features and functionality.

The sound would probably be closer to it's performance.

chessrock said:

When the wise shopper buys a preamp the wise shopper listens to the preamp. The wise shopper knows the kind of sound they want and picks a preamp that will help them get that sound.

It's *all* about the sound.

Which is why an opinion on a preamp without first hand knowledge of that preamp is of little to no value to anyone considering the preamp.

SonicAlbert said:
...the wise shopper listens to the preamp... an opinion on a preamp without first hand knowledge... is of little to no value...
Agreed. To base a purchase on verbal or technical descriptions is unrealistic. One of the things I admire about Klaus Heyne's mic forum at PSW is his advice, "Please: if you haven't used or heard a... [piece of gear], don't post opinions about it."

Timothy Lawler said:
Agreed. To base a purchase on verbal or technical descriptions is unrealistic. One of the things I admire about Klaus Heyne's mic forum at PSW is his advice, "Please: if you haven't used or heard a... [piece of gear], don't post opinions about it."

DING DING DING DING

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sterling30 said:

DAV products, particularly the mic preamp (which is based on a Decca preamp, BTW), has been extensively discussed at the Gearslutz Forum. You might want to do a serach over there. You'll find examples, comparisons and professional discussion about the products:

Gearslutz Forum

It's also been discussed over at Lynn Fuston's audio forum:

3dB Audio Forum

Timothy Lawler said:

I haven't offered any opinions. I've made observations, and pointed out some things that I think are important to look at and to consider regarding those observations.

The only thing you're saying is that you don't find the information I'm sharing to be useful. Which is fine. But someone else might find it useful, and for those people, I am glad I might have been able to help them in some way.

Back