Covid's still screwing things up!

TalismanRich

I was all set for a nice night of music at a local outdoor amphitheater. Kansas and Blue Oyster Cult. None of the 90+ degree temps with dew points in the upper 70s that we've had this summer, it was going to be really pleasant, and I was looking forward to this one.

Then the downer news this morning.... The concert is POSTPONED due to several of the band and crew having Covid. Rescheduled to May 2023! Now I need to hold on to this stupid ticket for 9 months!

I'm bummed.

Not to be a downer, but...

I suppose you know Steve Walsh has retired. Man that dude had some pipes back in the day, but started to struggle big time. It was painful to watch/hear, and made my throat hurt. Device Drums Voice, or whatever the DVD is called is pretty good, Steve held it together pretty good, but you could see glimpses of the future. I saw them playing beach side the same weekend Princess Diana died, and again in sort of a bar setting about a year and a half later. Sounded great, both Walsh and Robbie Reinhart present. Tight, not overly loud and overbearing.

BOC, Bloom's voice is equally torn. I don't know if Albert Bouchard is currently touring with them, but I've seen vids on the YouTube where he is sitting in. If he came back, took over singing Bloom's numbers, as well as his own, that'd be a good show to see. I never really cared for Bloom, think he's a dick.

Anyway, sorry to be a downer, and that you missed your show. I had tickets to see Dave Mason, I think a similar thing happened. The schedule date came and went without notice on my part.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was aware that Walsh wasn't with them. I've seen them with and without Kerry Livgren, with and without Robbie Steinhart, so I was curious to hear how the new guys sound, kinda of like when Journey found Arnel Pineda, or when Tom Scholtz found Tommy DeCarlo (who actually does sound much like Brad Delp, although you could see that he had ZERO stage presence when I saw him). Plus I've never seen BOC. It appears that I still won't have seen them. According to the reschedule statement, the opening act is TBD.

As for none of us getting any younger, I simply refer you to that old Byrds song "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now".

I guess I can watch reruns of The Munsters or something instead. :oops:

I was all set for a nice night of music at a local outdoor amphitheater. Kansas and Blue Oyster Cult. None of the 90+ degree temps with dew points in the upper 70s that we've had this summer, it was going to be really pleasant, and I was looking forward to this one.

Then the downer news this morning.... The concert is POSTPONED due to several of the band and crew having Covid. Rescheduled to May 2023! Now I need to hold on to this stupid ticket for 9 months!

I'm bummed.
I have one worse than that. I have had Covid for the last week. Me. Turrible.

Sorry to hear it EZ. I've had a half dozen friends who have had Covid. None with any long term effects. Mostly all done after 3 or 4 days.

Some years back, I had tickets to see Tommy Emmanuel. About 1:30 on the day of the concert, I started having pain in my chest. The boss took me to an immediate care center, who took a few measurements, then said to head for the hospital. That's when I found out that if you say "chest pain" at a hospital, you're immediately hooked up to 50 different monitors, all beeping and flashing. One test came back with elevated enzymes, so it was up to the room with more beeping and flashing. No more pain, nothing. Also, no release and no concert. In the morning, it was time for a heart cath, which came up clean.

It turned out to be a severe gall bladder attack, which took a bunch of tests and some ultrasounds to find. A few weeks later, they pulled that puppy out. All has been great since then, but I still hate that I missed the concert.

Sorry that happened. Both times.

Yeah - if you get a chance again.... try to see Tommy. He is a must see performer, IMO. As he'll tell ya - he's in the happiness business. Still very much in his playing prime.

I saw BOC at The Strand in Redondo Beach in 1995. The others in my band took me for my birthday. Sat at a table about 20 feet from the stage, dead center. Absolute face melting set. They were amazing that night. Very memorable.

Bummer about the concerts. All live playing for me ended in early 2020. I played a show in January 2020 and my first one since then will be October 2022 which is a few months shy of 3 years, and who knows what might happen between now and October. I've really been wondering if we will every get back to where we were pre pandemic with regard to not only music but supply chain shortages and such. As it is there are many businesses that are gone for good.

Back