Why I won't buy the Tascam 2488

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Reel Person

It's Too Funky in Here!!!
Just a few quick points.

- It lacks features, in an attempt to hit a price point.

- The screen is too small for e'thing they want to squeeze into it.

- I demo'd one a few weeks ago, and although I was able to get the canned demo to play, I -for the life of me- couln't figure out how to pan any of the tracks. I didn't want to page through menus, as if I'd even know how to page,... and I didn't feel like reading a complete discourse on how to use it. All I wanted was to Pan, right there, on the spot.

- During said 2488 demo, I auditioned the demo-piece that was thrown together and recorded entirely by one Tascam employee. It was a doo-wap type of thing, with thickly layered vocals. The guy made a respectable demo, and his voice was really nice, especially after being layered like 18 times. However, about 3/4 through the song, there was a static pop, click, whatever you might call it. I used the Rewind to back up and review the clicking part, over & over & over. It wasn't a transient event, and it wasn't my imagination. NOW, if a legitimate Tascam employee can't record a legitimate demo with his own topline unit, without incurring a dreaded POP/CLICK phenomenon on his own "showcase" track,... then where does that leave the average joe on the street, with respect to problems and downsides of this unit??

- Not to mention, the numerous forum posts on the issues people on the street are actually having,... leave me cold.

I give thumbs DOWN to the 2488.

YMMV.

Last edited:
But Reel dont you know this problem with the Click will be fixed in software version 1.3.50 Or is it software version 1.3.60 ;) If it is still supported by tascam next month. But they wont have that problem with the tascam modle 2498 cause its going to have a whole new software version that will do everything. Heck it will even cook breakfast! Maybe with out a click.

I have the FW-1884 but won't ever buy from Tascam again. Those people act like they're brain dead. Sorry sorry sorry customer support.

I have heard nothing good about this machine and I am on the hunt right now. I want 16 tracks but none of the boxes seem to have what i want, a user interface that makes sense. The AKAI seems to fit the bill but is way beyond my price point. Looks like I'm going to have to "upgrade" to an MD8 or a 688.

Il admit to have gone down the digital path a few times till I finaly woke up and went back to analog.
But Unless I really needed the portability of all in one unit I think I would still prefer a computer cause its just better, You can upgrade if you want, You can pick your own preamps, software sound card and upgrade any of them at any time.

I'm all in favor of their analog "legacy" machines,...

in fact, I have several of each. The 388, the 246, the 424mkIII, 688, 38, 488mkII, all that stuff. I even have the 564, and it's awesome,... but I won't get the 2488, the 788, or heaven forbid, the DP-01.

I'll stick with my mainly analog collection of Tascam legacy gear, and I'm very happy. The 2488 is simply not the right machine for me. I have 24 tracks of analog. I'm committed to analog, for the most part, and I won't change, based on the direction that most modern gear has taken. /DA

Last edited:
Reel just think about if we ever was to get into collecting the new tascam recorders how much cheaper it will be than the analog ones.

And lighter!

A Reel Person said:
in fact, I have several of each. The 388, the 246, the 424mkIII, 688, 38, 488mkII, all that stuff. I even have the 564, and it's awesome,... but I won't get the 2488, the 788, or heaven forbid, the DP-01.

I'll stick with my mainly analog collection of Tascam legacy gear, and I'm very happy. The 2488 is simply not the right machine for me. I have 24 tracks of analog. I'm committed to analog, for the most part, and I won't change, based on the direction that most modern gear has taken. /DA
I don't know squat about any of the units listed, and I know of your preference for analog, but if you were to choose a digital unit by any manufacturer, which would it be?

It's good that you are around Reel, keeping these guys in business :D

That's a very tough question!!!

I assume you mean modern/new digital gear? That's a very tough choice! I'm not head over heels about any of it!

I think the Tascam 2488 is "best value" in a class of devices that I'm not too fond of. There are other units with more features, like Roland, but at twice the cost. For bang/buck phenomenon, it's pretty hard to beat the 2488.

In 16 tracks, I'd probably go for the gusto, & buy the Tascam SX-1. It at least is a full sized unit, monitor compatible, gives you ample I/O and XLR's and will record 16-simul to disc, right out of the box.

I'm not so fond of the Fostex VF-160, Yamaha AW-16G or Boss BR-1600, but they each look like well thought out and capable units. I'd consider them, in a pinch, and wouldn't feel too sorry about it. No real strong preference there, but I'd probably lean toward the Boss BR-1600. It's real purdy. :eek:

In 8-trackers, it's very tough, because I use the 388 as the yardstick to measure all other 8-trackers against. I know, it's not fair, but that's the way it is.

In 8-track digi's, I might be inclined to go for the Fostex VF-160. Heh. I know! I know! It's a 16-tracker, but it at least will record 8-simul, right out of the box, with no problem. The VF-160, Yamaha AW-16G and Roland BR-1600 16-trackers just seem more practical to me as 8-trackers, but that's my own twisted logic, and YMMV. Remember, my 8-tracker yardstick is the 388! :eek:

Going down the food chain more,... the Tascam 788's not such a bad unit. It's cute and small! They're on clearance now, so price is coming down dramatically. It lacks a few key features, but at least it will record 6-simul, right out of the box. CD burner is a wired-add-on, but at least it has cd burning capability. In fact, to preserve the discrete 8-track data format, it's required.

The Tascam DP01 looks like best value in a class of devices that I do not like, so I'm not inclined to get one. However, if you can settle for this class of devices, then it might be a good choice.

The Fostex MR-8? Nah, forget it. Sorry, all you MR-8 guys!! No offense! For some people, I'm sure it's a great choice. It's highly portable, and it's RED!:eek:

Do they make digital 4-trackers? Heh. Anyway, I'm not inclined to get any of them. I don't like the PXR4, although Richie swears by it. I don't like the Pocketstudio-5, although I've heard "Havin Fun" & his friends do some fabulous stuff on it. I don't like the Boss BR-532. I don't like Zooms. If I were to have to choose a digital 4-tracker out of this field of competitors,... geez, I'm at a loss. Sorry. :(

If I really had to bite the bullet on a NEW digital 4-tracker, I'd have to tip my hat to "Havin Fun" and get the Pocketstudio-5. At least the P-5 has a built in midi sequencer, and HF & the guys have done some great stuff with it. I'd make that purchase, and immediately call "Havin Fun" for tips & guidance! The P-5's price has come down significantly, which makes it a better buy, over all, PLUS, it's no so micro-miniaturized that it's TOO small, like the PXR4. As with anything, YMMV.

OKAY, I've reviewed the field of known digital competitors, in the new-equipment market. Honestly, I wouldn't buy any of them right now. If I was brand new to recording, and/or had my back against the wall, I'd probably just hit the 2488 and get on with life. Think of all the table space I'd save!!

NOW,... onto more realistic choices,... USED GEAR. Let's call it "legacy" gear!

The Yamaha MD8 I like very much, and I think is a fabulously loaded and well thought out porta. It has the analog front end mixer that's identical to the Tascam 488mkII, plus it records 8-simul with Direct mode, to Data-Minidisc. The hullabaloo about ATRAC data reduction encoding does not bother me, and I don't think you can "hear" it. I have the MD8, I like it very much, and I'd highly recommend it.

I like the Fostex FD-8 very much, with built-in hard disc. At least it has a fine analog front end, and records 16/44.1, but it hard-limits you to 2-simul/max recording, a pretty severe limitation. However, with a little fidgeting around, it will record 4-simul with analog+S/Pdif inputs, and a full 8-simul with ADAT I/O compatible outboard mixer. AT LEAST Fostex gave you that option!!! The FD-8 also has S/Pdif & optical output digital mixdown,... if it's anything to'ya. I have the FD-8, and I'd recommend it.

I like the Fostex DMT-8, very much, as it has a great analog front end mixer, and it will record 4-simul, right out of the box. It also has that bright flouro-luminescent display, when the others have LCDs. However, you must consider the DMT-8's original hard disc was very small, and would require an upgrade. After that consideration, you'd be fine. There's no direct-digital out, but there's a SCSI port, for backing up to DAT or cartridge HD. There's also ample analog Track-Outs, which is a very handy feature that the others don't have. I don't have a DMT-8, but I'd consider getting one. After the special considerations that I've mentioned above, I'd recommend it as a well thought out and highly capable unit. (NOT THE -VL!!)

In (legacy) digital 4-trackers, it's very hard to beat the Tascam 564 MD Portastudio. It has the best analog front end mixer in the digital 4-tracker field, that's identical to the mixer section of the analog 464. It records 2-simul in Buss mode and 4-simul in Direct mode. ATRAC's not an issue to me, but YMMV. It has S/Pdif digital output for mixdown, if you're into that sorta thing. It has a bright LED VU meter display, as well as a cute little LCD funtion menu, that co-exist on the same panel. The 564's a helluva nice unit, in the field of digital 4-trackers, and it's a genuine Portastudio.

Last, but not least, is the Fostex FD-4. It basically has all the form and function of the FD-8, 'cept it's much harder to find with built-in hard disc, and most often sports an external SCSI disc, such as a SYQUEST or a ZIP disc. That's a drawback, but not a deal-breaker for me. Fostex used to do the FD-4 internal disc upgrade, but they don't do that any more. I've looked into doing this myself, but it's very hard to find the proper 1mm/50-pin header connector. The rest would be easy, if I could only find that darned connector! The FD-4 also limits to 2-simul record, but will go up to 4-simul if you use a combination of the analog and S/Pdif inputs, and it records at 16/44.1. The FD-4's mixer section is not as high end as a Tascam (564), but it's adequate enough. Fostex was never too shy about cutting corners, where Tascam would usually put the high end quality into their designs,... for the most part. I have and recommend the FD-4, FWIW. It's a nice sounding and capable unit.

I think that wraps up my picks on digital.

Thanx for asking. Any other questions, just let me know. I'm full of opinions!! :eek: I also put my money where my mouth is.;)

Last edited:
A Reel Person said:
II'm not so fond of the Fostex VF-160, Yamaha AW-16G or Boss BR-1600, but they each look like well thought out and capable units. The VF-160, Yamaha AW-16G and Roland BR-1600 16-trackers just seem more practical to me as 8-trackers, but that's my own twisted logic, and YMMV. .;)

Of these, the Fostex and Yamaha are great units. Very well understood machines. As you may know, I own the VF160, and love it. It's a real workhorse -- makes sense in operation and produces excellent recordings.

The thing about the 2488 is it seems there are a number of teething issues (inability to handle any vibration; heat problems; powersupply noises; etc.).

Have you considered the Korg D1600mkII? It's another well understood machine with a neat user interface, and great tech support from live people...

Yes,...

I know the VF-160 is a well liked machine. Good rep.

I just overlooked the Korg. Forgot Korg, altogether. My mistake. Thanx.

Ben, I've not been scoping Akai workstations enough to comment, but they're out there, and they have a positive rep, from what little I've heard. You could kinda say Akai's not on my "radar", but they're surely available to anyone who'd care to seek them out.

deepwater, agreed. The Yamaha AW-16G has a good rep for good sound, features & ease of use, and popularity in the user base.

Thanx for the additional comments.;)

2488 and tascam

yeah,agree
the 2488 has too many similar complaints even per the
TASCAM 2488 FORUM.
sounds like it's very hit and miss
whether you get one that works and you love it,
or not and it's a fhkd up plasticdog with hd issues.
too many negative threads on this piece.
maybe next generation?

Korg1600 does the 24bit w/touchscreen
and the AW16 seems to be very well reviewed.
I always liked Yammie stuff, stereos, pianos, MD8 etc..

personally, there seems to be a quality, out of box issue
on the rise on many of these things, like the 2488.
as the companys offer more and more...cheaper,cheaper
and then they mass produce it, costcut it down and
well...
eventually it really does become cheap.

Hey, B...

Be Loveless said:
I am on the hunt right now. I want 16 tracks but I'm going to have to "upgrade" to an MD8 or a 688.

Have you considered the 38, TSR-8 or MSR-16? Pair that up with an M-30, M-35 or M-308B/312B and you have a pretty happening system! I've heard the MSR-16 is an excellent machine. (For the MSR-16, you'd need 2 of the above mixers, or something like the M520).

If you've wanted to upgrade to an MD8 or 688, which is fine in my book, have you considered the 388? The 388's about as awesome as it gets in all-in-one'rs! It could be considered a massive Portastudio, but at nearly 90lbs, Tascam didn't dare call it "Porta-". Regardless, the 388 is the most awesome Portastudio ever made!! It's a HUGE upgrade [heh: pun] from the 488mkII...!!

I've got to put a positive in here for the 2488. Despite some of it's shortcomings (the display is the biggest), there's nothing that comes close to it at that price point. Most of the issues you described were fixed by tthe 1.01 firmware update. It does exaclty what I need it to do, which is reliably track 8 channels of 24 bit audio all day long. I've never had a bit of trouble with mine.

You really should give serious consideration to the Yamaha AW16G. It ain't analog, but nothing digital is. It's got great sounding converters, and is fairly intuitive (after the original shock of trying to read the manual subsides) It's got too many menus for my taste. (But any menus is too many for my taste.) It really offers a lot for the price (which is now under $1000 new) and would serve most home recordists very well. Plus there is a great independently run support forum at http://forum.dijonstock.com/ I'm glad I chose the AW16G.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back