What's your Tascam product?

ARP - i was just leafing through some of your studio pics (well i AM bored at work) and i started wondering - when you actually want to record something - where on earth do you start??

You have so much stuff - you actually use it all?? You could make a small fortune on ebay with that!

Benreturns said:
ARP - i was just leafing through some of your studio pics (well i AM bored at work) and i started wondering - when you actually want to record something - where on earth do you start??

I believe I can answer that one...

Eeni Meeni Myni Mo....

Everything I do starts in my head.

I have done the bulk of my recordings on the Tascam 244, 38/M30, 424mkII & 388, so far.

I don't have any set format or sequence, except for trying to have a click track as a starting track, in most cases. Recently , I've been using the click track as basis more often, but used it only occasionally in the past. Then, I'd either have a real drummer, live-in-studio, or just fly by the seat of my pants,... and a lot of the songs sound that way.

At least printing a click track at the outset of a recording project helps keep all the loose ends as tidy as possible, so I try to do it as often as possible.

F/I, I've been recording recently, just last night, and I've started with a click track, then piano, bass & acoustic guitar, in that order,... all recorded onto the glorious Tascam 388. I wish I could have done all 3 instrument tracks in one take, but I ended up using a couple of punch-ins to get it all thrown together.

So, I guess the short answer is,... I'm using a click track for basis, not having a set format or sequence, but having done the most recent recording on the Tascam 388.

The 388 is just a "go-to" machine for me, lately, because it's exellence of sound quality, ease of use, and simple all-in-one design.

That's the news, & up to date info for now.

;)

Reel Im afraid if peace depended on me growing hair we would be in a nuclear war.

I called tascam today and ordered a new belt and a pinch roller for that 38. I think she said for 2 belts and 1 pinch roller shipped was going to be some where around 66.00 . I bought two belts cause if the belt in my good machine is getting anything like this one it wont be long before its gone. Besides a spare dosnt hurt.
Now if the new belt fixes it I will just need a new face plate. That shoulnt be to hard to find:rolleyes:

Sorry didnt mean to hijack the thread here with my nonsence.

Last edited:
I see tulago has a solid base in 4-track reels.

So, hey, how's that CC-222? Looks like a cool machine to me.
;)

Herm, You'll be pretty hard up for a 38 face plate, unless you "invest" in another known fixer or junker. In my case, I'll eventually glue the 38's back panel, but the damage to the sides, bottom, top & chassis is bent metal, so my best stragegy was to make this unit a rackmount/TBD. I'd need 38 rails, which are also hard to come by.

It's not 'make a small fortune on Ebay', it's spent a small fortune on Ebay,;)

Re: Everything I do starts in my head.

A Reel Person said:

The 388 is just a "go-to" machine for me, lately, because it's exellence of sound quality, ease of use, and simple all-in-one design.

The reel problem I see with this choice......

Is finding it!

Whoa baby..... Looks like the Tascam Factory Outlet :) Do you have chip embedded in each machine and locate via GPS :)

SoMm

CC-222: For me, it's a good choice for rack mount multi-media.

I have a small home studio mostly just for recording my own music. Occassionally I will record for others and the cassette is great for giving them working drafts of material and also for archiving. The 222 replaced a Nakamichi deck and a Plextor stand-alone CR-RW.

Fact is though, CD's are so cheap these days, that I hardly ever go to the cassette format. If I had to do it over again, I would probably just go with the Tascam CD-RW 700 and save one rack space.

I am close to buying a Technics SL-1200 to archive my favorite vinyl to CD. I purchased the 3340S back in the early 80's for that reason.

The 34B is a great machine. A solid and reliable workhorse, great sounding and very quiet with the DX-4D. I usually lay down tracks to tape and move them to a digital format (hard disk) and mix via analog (Mackie 1604-VLZ) back to a CD. Sounds crazy, but I like the results.

Occasionally using Tascam 244 to record "practices".

Should also be using Teac 40-4 reel to reel. :D
(hopefully will have time over the Holidays)

Chris

P.S. Thanks Malcolm for the kind words in the mic forum,
on my "retirement" thread there. :)

Chris

Chris

Chris

Currently own..

MSR16S 1/2" 16 track w/remote - 2 tracks crackle ($800 or BO)

TSR-8 1/2" 8 track w/remote ($800)

202MKII dual cassette

M1600 24x8x2 mixer with meterbridge ($800 or BO)

M208 8x4x2 mixer - rackmount ($250)

Everything except the cassette deck is for sale, if anyone's interested, sorry about the spam.. I have switched over to Sonar 2.2XL and a Mackie 1642 mixer, and no longer need them, also for sale is a Mackie 24x8 w/meterbridge (1600 bucks).

Used to own..

38 1/2" 8 track (never had the noise reduction units tho)

M308-B 8x4x2x1 mixer

TASCAM used to make the best home recording gear...

Back