Using my Tascam TMD 1000 to master?

psongman

Hi, I want to use my digital mixer to master tracks from my Fostex VF 08. In other words I want to send the tracks out either via spdif or analog into the TMD 1000, using the limiting and compression, then sending it to a CD burner. Has anyone done this or can someone route me to a person, place, or thing that has accomplished it. I know it can be done but sometimes these middle man ideas in recording add more noise and problems than they are worth. Thanks for listening, will await your expertise. Psongman

It'll work better if you can use the digital inputs. In my setup I have an ADAT sound card and a converter to change it to TDIF into the TM-D1000. This gives me 8 discrete channels on faders 9-16 (this is one of the presets on the mixer). You could then use the faders & pans & the onboard EQ etc and send the result out of the SPDIF port to your burner. If it were me I'd practice a lot before commiting. I'd love to have a program that allowed me to playback the .wav files off my computer, mix with the Tascam, and send it all back as a stereo file into the computer again. As it is, mixing down is the clumsiest and most error-prone part of the system.

Hi, thanks for the stereo input, hehe! I will try using the digital inputs as the Fostex has spdif out and then into the Tascam. One of the reasons I was having trouble recording using the TMD 1000, was my mixer kept going out of sync with my SB Live full digital card. It did record in Cool Edit but there was a lot of cracks and snaps I had to clean up, no such happening with the Fostex. You can really mix well on the computer, no such happening with the Fostex. Well, if you have any other connective comments, my ears are open, as I think you can burn a decent Cd this way, though I might have to send it out to be mastered. Psongman

Back