Teac/Tascam Series Model 5B mixer

PoorBoyRecordings

Hi everyone. I just got a Model 5B mixer, but no user manual and could use some help with the connection setup. I know how to connect it to my A-3340S r2r for recording, and back into the mixer, but where do I connect the outputs to mix down to stereo ? I can use the monitor and mix down that way but I want to mix down directly from the mixer to a cassette deck bypassing using an amp.

Hi everyone. I just got a Model 5B mixer, but no user manual and could use some help with the connection setup. I know how to connect it to my A-3340S r2r for recording, and back into the mixer, but where do I connect the outputs to mix down to stereo ? I can use the monitor and mix down that way but I want to mix down directly from the mixer to a cassette deck bypassing using an amp.

In order to keep costs down, Tascam boards from that era don't have dedicated mix busses. Each of the 4 buss outs has an auxiliary out next to it. Connect a pair of them to your mix down deck, assign appropriately and you are good to go.

In order to keep costs down, Tascam boards from that era don't have dedicated mix busses. Each of the 4 buss outs has an auxiliary out next to it. Connect a pair of them to your mix down deck, assign appropriately and you are good to go.

Thanks Rick. Sooo simple.
Steve:rolleyes:

One more question for Rick or anyone else ... what difference is there between the 5A and 5B models ?

Sorry for so many questions on the site, but I am trying to learn everything I can about recording. I did not realize there was so much to know to make a decent recording. Nothing even close to pro for me. I am getting to old to learn all the tricks, in's and out's, etc. etc. So I read alot here, ask questions, try things I've read or been answered and so on.

I have finally got so I can get all 4 tracks on the r2r recorded using simul-sync ;)

Last edited:
One more question for Rick or anyone else ... what difference is there between the 5A and 5B models ?

Mostly, the color of the knobs. The performance and features were the same. The Model 5's were great boards to hot-rod. Better transformers and ic's can really improve them. Being modular in construction, it's not all that difficult for those handy with a soldering iron.

Thanks

:)
Mostly, the color of the knobs. The performance and features were the same. The Model 5's were great boards to hot-rod. Better transformers and ic's can really improve them. Being modular in construction, it's not all that difficult for those handy with a soldering iron.

Ok. Thanks a million Rick. Much appreciated.

A little more information I found while digging for operator/service manuals for the Teac Series 5. According to this information here are the differences between the Teac Series 5A and Series 5B from stereomanuals.com:

We do not have Model 5B material, but have read that the difference between 5B and 5A is mostly the color of the knobs and that the performance and features were essentially the same. And this from Tascam... The Model 5B mixer incorporated a new Integrated Circuit (IC) chip which was four times faster than the previous Model 5 and offered a cleaner sound. It appears that you should be able to use our Model 5 Mini User #2 for some operations type info and our Service Manual #2 as an appropriate, if not perfect substitute. We do not guarantee this information, so make up your own mind.

A little more information I found while digging for operator/service manuals for the Teac Series 5. According to this information here are the differences between the Teac Series 5A and Series 5B from stereomanuals.com:

We do not have Model 5B material, but have read that the difference between 5B and 5A is mostly the color of the knobs and that the performance and features were essentially the same. And this from Tascam... The Model 5B mixer incorporated a new Integrated Circuit (IC) chip which was four times faster than the previous Model 5 and offered a cleaner sound. It appears that you should be able to use our Model 5 Mini User #2 for some operations type info and our Service Manual #2 as an appropriate, if not perfect substitute. We do not guarantee this information, so make up your own mind.

Operation-wise, all Model 5's are the same. As stated above, the knob colors were different & some of the chips were updated on the 5B. I seriously doubt that IC performance was 4 times faster but even if so, there are much better ones available now.

Back