Tascam Wave file not compatible with Zoom H2

El Baroda

Hi. Would someone help me please? I recently bought a used Tascam SS R1 recorder. It performs perfectly. However, I can not play the Wave files recorded by it on my Zoom H2 handheld recorder (which I use for listening and editing). When the Zoom H2 is connected to my PC, the files are there but when I try to play the recordings, the Zoom says "no file". It looks like the wave files are not compatible? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

WAV is WAV ... so long as they recorded at the same resolution. Are you maybe trying to load something the Zoom won't accept? Greater that 96/24? Or perhaps just different than the current setting of the H2? Perhaps the naming of the file is an issue ... names are limited to eight characters plus the extension ".WAV".

I have an H2 and had never tried transferring files to it, so........
First attempt was a wav file at 44.1kHz/16bit and it didn't play ('no file' message). Found out it was a mono (not stereo) file, but not sure if being mono was the reason it didn't play.
Second attempt was a stereo wav file at 44.1kHz/16bit and it played. I had renamed it to MONO-002.wav, but I tried a shortened abbreviation of the original file name 'Space Weasel.wav' to 'Sp-We.wav' and it loaded and played OK. Probably think there may be an eight character limit as Rusty pointed out. Not sure about spaces, so maybe use a dash or underscore rather than a space if renaming.
The H2 manual states it will handle a few formats, so make sure what you import matches......
Quantization
16/24bit
Sampling frequency
44.1kHz, 48kHz, 96kHz (Stereo mode)
44.1kHz, 48kHz (4CH mode)

The tiny screen and menu on the H2 and not great eyesight was a reminder of why I bought an H4n :)

WAV is WAV ... so long as they recorded at the same resolution. Are you maybe trying to load something the Zoom won't accept? Greater that 96/24? Or perhaps just different than the current setting of the H2? Perhaps the naming of the file is an issue ... names are limited to eight characters plus the extension ".WAV".

Hi Rusty. Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try and let you know how it goes. Kind regards.

I have an H2 and had never tried transferring files to it, so........
First attempt was a wav file at 44.1kHz/16bit and it didn't play ('no file' message). Found out it was a mono (not stereo) file, but not sure if being mono was the reason it didn't play.
Second attempt was a stereo wav file at 44.1kHz/16bit and it played. I had renamed it to MONO-002.wav, but I tried a shortened abbreviation of the original file name 'Space Weasel.wav' to 'Sp-We.wav' and it loaded and played OK. Probably think there may be an eight character limit as Rusty pointed out. Not sure about spaces, so maybe use a dash or underscore rather than a space if renaming.
The H2 manual states it will handle a few formats, so make sure what you import matches......
Quantization
16/24bit
Sampling frequency
44.1kHz, 48kHz, 96kHz (Stereo mode)
44.1kHz, 48kHz (4CH mode)

The tiny screen and menu on the H2 and not great eyesight was a reminder of why I bought an H4n :)

Hi Mark. Thanks a lot for your response. I always record in Mono so this is probably the cause of the incompatibility. I will also try to record in Stereo and maybe rename the files. Really hoping this will solve my problem. Thanks again to you and to Rusty. Cheers.

Hi Rusty and Mark. Good news. Problem solved. I changed the recording setting on my Tascam from mono to stereo and the wav file now plays on my Zoom H2. Best regards.

Back