Tascam TSR-8 v 8-80

signman

My first post here... I'm thinking of buying my first tape machine.
The BOSS br1600 is just not doing it for me!

Disscovering Analog recording reminds me of when I first played my Les Paul
though my 59 Deluxe Tweed :D

After countless hours on the internet and several phone calls I have narrowed
my search done to one of two machines.

I've found a tidy looking TSR-8 with spare tape and leads..
Posted a similar question on the Martin guitar forum and have been told the
8-80 would be a better move..

Can't find one here in the UK for sale.

I only plan on recording in my home studio..
Guitar's, drum machine, bass, harp. Is the TSR suitable or should I be patient and wait for a 8-80..

Appreciate anY advice.

Thanks

Paul
UK

Hi,

The TSR8 is a fine machine, I owned one not long after they came out and only sold it when I bought a 16 track,

It is also a later model than the 8-80 (released in late 1970's) so it will be newer. The TSR8 has inbuilt DBX noise reduction and if I remember correct the 8-80 had a separate BDX unit (somebody will correct me if I am wrong).

If it's a good TSR8 I would grab it.

Cheers

Alan.

No contest.

The TSR-8 is light-years ahead of the 80-8 in every way… sound, transport tape handling, features… you name it. If you find a good condition TSR-8 you won't be disappointed. I have one myself, as do a couple others on the Analog Only forum. I'd be happy help you get acquainted with it once you have it, so feel free to post questions in the analog forum.

~ Tim

:)

Is this unit a quarter or half inch tape? If I remember right I think it's 1/4 just wondering. I have a tascam 38 1/2 8 channel and am looking for a 1/4 2 track for mixdown.

TSR-8 Rule!

Hi Newbie,
I have 3 TSR-8's. I bought one brand new in 1993, used it for years. I also bought a brand new MSR-24 in 1995. I abanoned the TSR-8 and only used the MSR-24. I had sold the TSR-8 to a friend who left it in the box for years, I just recently bought it back but to my surprise it didnt work right. I was dissapointed and also found out my MSR-24 didnt work right either. I was frustrated with 2 machines that I gave up hope on. Later I saw a TSR-8 in good condition on e-bay with a lot of extras, so I bought it for $600. I used it for a while and was amazed how great it sounded. After reading about old tape and the sticky shed syndrome, I went back to my faulty machines and inspected the heads with a magnifying glass, I saw alot of junk stuck on like paint that didnt come off with normal cleaning. It was the residue from my old tapes from the mid 90's. So I carefully cleaned both sets of heads with Isopropyl Alcohol until they were spotless. Both machines now work. Lesson here, keep the heads absolutely clean and inspect with a magnifying glass. Now I was completely impressed with my machines and was about to start a recording project I have been putting off. Well I was browsing e-bay when I saw a new in sealed box TSR-8 on e-bay for $1000, I couldnt believe there was one out there, well that is now my third machine. I highly recommend the TSR-8, I favor it over my MSR-24. It is very dependable and if you use the new RMGI 911 tape it sounds amazing. I have had problems with wobbly reel tables because of factory defects in the machining of the hubs. If your tapes rub on the reel flanges I can help you with a remedy. Sorry for the long reply but I get very enthusiastic about these machines, good luck in your endeavor.
Victory Pete

Tsr-8

Thats funny, I have been searching for a remote and come accross another
TSR-8.. not ' BRAND NEW & BOXED '.. you lucky ****

I'm paranoid about mine breaking and being without it for some time.
Having a spare seems like a good idea :eek:

Tracked down some new BASF PEM 468 too..

Paul

' Ain't it funny how you feel when your finding out it's real '

Neil Young :cool:

"You pay for this but they give you that!"

I am obsessed now with these machines, I recommend having spares. By the way old Neil is an Analog advocate, he described recording with digital like looking at a beautiful landscape through a screen. goodluck with your gear quest.
Victory Pete:cool:

Last edited:
Victory Pete:
Very interested in how you dealt with the rubbing flanges. I seem to have that problem with my TSR-8 a lot...be curious, if you can spare the time, as to your cure...tia!

Tsr-8 wobbly reel hubs...

Hi Newbie,
I have 3 TSR-8's. I bought one brand new in 1993, used it for years. I also bought a brand new MSR-24 in 1995. I abanoned the TSR-8 and only used the MSR-24. I had sold the TSR-8 to a friend who left it in the box for years, I just recently bought it back but to my surprise it didnt work right. I was dissapointed and also found out my MSR-24 didnt work right either. I was frustrated with 2 machines that I gave up hope on. Later I saw a TSR-8 in good condition on e-bay with a lot of extras, so I bought it for $600. I used it for a while and was amazed how great it sounded. After reading about old tape and the sticky shed syndrome, I went back to my faulty machines and inspected the heads with a magnifying glass, I saw alot of junk stuck on like paint that didnt come off with normal cleaning. It was the residue from my old tapes from the mid 90's. So I carefully cleaned both sets of heads with Isopropyl Alcohol until they were spotless. Both machines now work. Lesson here, keep the heads absolutely clean and inspect with a magnifying glass. Now I was completely impressed with my machines and was about to start a recording project I have been putting off. Well I was browsing e-bay when I saw a new in sealed box TSR-8 on e-bay for $1000, I couldnt believe there was one out there, well that is now my third machine. I highly recommend the TSR-8, I favor it over my MSR-24. It is very dependable and if you use the new RMGI 911 tape it sounds amazing. I have had problems with wobbly reel tables because of factory defects in the machining of the hubs. If your tapes rub on the reel flanges I can help you with a remedy. Sorry for the long reply but I get very enthusiastic about these machines, good luck in your endeavor.
Victory Pete

Thanks for the info. I'm curious to know what your remedy is for wobbly reel tables...

Back