TASCAM MX2424 SPDIF Not Getting Sig To Meters

Hi Alan.. Hope all is good.. So I'm looking at getting my SPDIF from my audio interface (Scarlett 6i6) to my MX2424.

A little baffled, however, because, as far as I can tell, I have all MX menu parameters set properly.

And, in fact, I AM getting steady illumination of the sample lock indicator on the MX. And when I remove the cable, that light starts to blink, just as it should.

But I can't get a signal at the meters(!?)

My source is my Windows computer, a WAV file download which is audible and clear at the headphone output on the Scarlett interface.

I wonder, is it not getting to the meters, BECAUSE it is a WAV file(?)

I can't quite understand how sample lock can be good, but no audio is getting to the meters.

MX Version: 3.10
Current menu settings, as directed in manual:

002: Sample Ref: 2 Ch In

402: Inputs 17-24: 2 Ch In (17-24)

461: 2 Ch In Rate Conv: ON

462: 2 Ch In Source: SPDIF

My manual is a couple of versions older than 3.10, but seems like the above settings should create success..

Can you see what I am doing wrong?

I think maybe it could be the cable, it's a video coax cable, but I wonder, why would I get proper sample lock, if the cable was insufficient?

Any help? Thanks so much, Dan

I dunno either gear, but there is a lot not discussed. Why are you set to 17-24 ? It should be able to feed to multiple channels, but I would want it going to 2-channels for testing. Nothing about what clock rules the roost ? With unknown cable use the lowest rate/depth and try NO conversion

Thanks, yeah, could be the cable.. Still tho, I am getting sample lock, that's why it's a little baffling.

Reason going with 17-24 is that those are 1 of the three blocks of tracks from which you use 2 channels. Using the 17-24 block to keep SPDIF signal away from tracks already recorded on. (I am targeting 17 and 18, as Left and Right) The spdif is a coax (rca) input and an output, for receiving and sending stereo.

Will try again with no conversion, that's a good call, thanks.

I have some really stiff video cable from a extra TS1000 computer that seems to work fine at low rated, but you never know. I'm convinced that some of the stuff I buy is really video and not digital ready as claimed. If it works, fine. You can find better cable if you need it.

The light just means there is some dialog. Tascam is set to slave and 6i6 to Master, right ?

Thanks.. Well, I'm not seeing an option for slave and master, on either unit. Simply spdif OUT from the Scarlett, and spdif IN to the Tascam. No slave/master options, as "out" would be "master" and "in" would be "slave" .. I tried it w/out conversion, and still no signal at meters. But the meters DO respond with a healthy "blip" when I engage rate conversion, so there IS communication.

I think that what's happening is that the cable is able to transmit the sample rate info, but unable to also transmit the digital audio.. (?) That's a guess.. Trying to find a digital coax cable.. May have to order one. Thanks again.

Just found another cable.. Still a Video cable, not specified as digital transfer cable, but getting exactly the same results.

So i've either got something set incorrectly on the Tascam, or I need an SPDIF coax cable.

Or; maybe there is an output setting in the software for the Scarlett... Will try that.. But why would sample lock be showing as good, if the output wasn't set right(?)

I think u may have missed my post before my last one.. No master/slave on either unit. May be a software setting, as I did find spdif settings in Scarlett software, but it didn't change results.

I think you missed there is no spdif without master and slave. You might go though 002 & 003 with the online manual to see if there are differences. I can't tell what ver. the online manual is.

As I read it, 003 dig in 17,18 would be slave. Internal is master

Success! Fixed the issue.. Needed to set Scarlett software mixer for Mix 1 L/R SPDIF out.

I thought I had done that two or three times, but had not set SPDIF correctly.. The SPDIF output needed to match my monitor and headphone mixes.

Thanks again, garww.. Oh, still no sign of Master/Slave settings in relation to spdif.. Not that I could find, anyway.

Anyway, got it up and running, and thanks for your input.

Sorry for spotting this late, 4 day long weekend here so not on line much. Glad to see it worked out.

Alan.

Back