Tascam MM-20 routing help

dubbingdj

I just picked one up and am thoroughly confused by the routing options. I can't get any signal through the inputs in the back. Do I need to route further to assign a channel to a fader? The only time I hear a signal is if I plug something into the monitor ins. Nothing seems to be coming out of the output either and its not the headphone jack, is it just fried or broken? I can't find a manual so I ended up here.

This mixer has direct out, rcv/access/send/, buss in, buss out, meter in, master buss and monitor ins. Then there are the aux pans, pre and post. I"ve tried different combinations of RCA to RCA routing with the busses and just cant figure out how to simply get a signal through this mixer.

Tascam_MM20.jpg

Last edited:
I just picked one up and am thoroughly confused by the routing options. I can't get any signal through the inputs in the back. Do I need to route further to assign a channel to a fader? The only time I hear a signal is if I plug something into the monitor ins. Nothing seems to be coming out of the output either and its not the headphone jack, is it just fried or broken? I can't find a manual so I ended up here.

This mixer has direct out, rcv/access/send/, buss in, buss out, meter in, master buss and monitor ins. Then there are the aux pans, pre and post. I"ve tried different combinations of RCA to RCA routing with the busses and just cant figure out how to simply get a signal through this mixer.

Tascam_MM20.jpg

The MM 20 has no internal routing. You must patch signal from it to it's next destination. I suggest you find a copy of the owners manual. Someone is bound to have it on line.

thanks for the tip. man I can't find a manual anywhere. anyone out there familiar with how to patch this mixer proper?

A picture in this case would be worth a thousand words.

The first 12 jacks with the jumpers in place look like old style inserts.

hey thanks for the help, attached are some photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0625.jpg
    IMG_0625.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0626.jpg
    IMG_0626.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0628.jpg
    IMG_0628.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 49
You'll have to find some jumpers for those jacks or attach patch cables to close the circuit or you'll never get anything through the channels.

Looks like you have directs outs for a four track recorder and a send for routing an effect. There is also a buss-in for the return, though I don't know how you would monitor individual channels as it has no flip switch. Seems it also includes separate outs for a small meter bridge.

Probably would want to use this as a sub-mixer for keyboards or drums or backing vocals.

Nope. Any length wll work but I'd use the shortest length rca cables you can find once you get everything sorted out.

ah ok, this thing is so old I thought maybe it was some different wires. so how would I route say lines 1 and 2? direct out to either send/recieve? and then do another patch?

ah ok, this thing is so old I thought maybe it was some different wires. so how would I route say lines 1 and 2? direct out to either send/recieve? and then do another patch?

Just like any other Tascam board from that era, you connect each channel's send & receive jacks together. That creates the "normal" so signal can be directed out of each channel.

Just like any other Tascam board from that era, you connect each channel's send & receive jacks together. That creates the "normal" so signal can be directed out of each channel.

Ok so I have the send/receives patched but still can't figure out how to assign channels 3 and 4 to the individual faders. I tried a patch from buss in to buss out but still wasn't getting signal. However the buss in going to another mixer was getting a signal.

Ok so I have the send/receives patched but still can't figure out how to assign channels 3 and 4 to the individual faders. I tried a patch from buss in to buss out but still wasn't getting signal. However the buss in going to another mixer was getting a signal.

You obviously do not understand signal routing of any kind very well. The only way to get signal to faders 3 and/or 4 is to have a something coming into their respective inputs. The mixer is designed to feed other devices, not itself. You need to get a manual. Call Tascam and ask if they have one to sell or photocopy for you.

Back