Tascam MF-P01 loud click during playback

Togaho

Hi all,

First I'd like to say thanks to everyone on this forum. I've been lurking for years and have always been able to solve my recording issues by searching around here. Thanks! However, I can't really find a thread about this (probably simple/common) issue, so I finally had to register and ask! Please forgive me for this long post.

I've had a Tascam MF-01 4-track for about 8 years now. I've always heard these newer 4 tracks were built very cheaply, so I was surprised when my unit never really had any problems. I hate to say it but I've never demagnetized the deck. Mainly because I use It only on occasion these days, usually when recording grittier types of music(and I also don't have anything to demagnetize it with) Anyway, about 6 months ago, the headphone jack began playing in mono, or only in the left ear of any set of headphones. I bypassed this problem by just running the outputs of the unit into my laptop, and monitoring on stereo through there. If you apply pressure on the headphone output, it'll return to playing in stereo - but I wanted to avoid harming it anymore.

About 2 months ago, the unit developed another problem. Randomly during playback, a very audible click or clip type of sound would occur. I thought maybe this was related to the power strip I had the unit plugged into. The next day I plugged the unit into a different power outlet and the problem was gone.

Yesterday however, the problem returned. I was listening to something I recorded, and replayed it a few times. All of and sudden it was back, even though it wasn't there literally 20 seconds beforehand. I plugged it into various other outlets and the problem still persisted. Wanted to make sure it wasn't the tape, so I popped it into 2 other decks and it played with out any clicks/ticks. Has anyone else had this type of problem? I know I should degmagnetize the deck, but the problem seems like it might be related to the headphone jack. Any advice? Thanks!

Ist problem:broken solder joint on the ground of the headphone jack.The second problem could be static electricity.Is it periodic or random?Both channels?Random suggests static electricity or a failing active component.Time to upgrade.They sold for $100 new, so repair would not be cost effective.

Back