Tascam M320B Refurbishment

Iron Chef

Hello all...my very first post, so be gentle ;)

I have a Tascam M320B in surprisingly good condition that I picked up for around $400.My plan is to build a studio for some home-based voice-over work. I know this board is overkill for that, but I've always had fondness for vintage equipment, Tascam in particular.

The board was missing one knob which has been replaced, and it has one bad Alps fader. I have a new one coming. It sounds good so far...not noisy at all. I'm planning on taking the unit apart to give it a good cleaning which is all that I think it really needs. I have fairly advanced mechanical/electrical/soldering skills and have all my own tools and equipment (aside from a gallon of Deoxit!). My question is what is the best way to take the board apart? It is not modular. There are six screws on either end of the top of the console, but I suspect that it will have to be opened from the bottom as well. I'd rather not just start tearing the thing apart, so is there anyone here with any experience with these boards that can offer me any advice on how to begin?
Also...if anyone knows of any trouble areas to watch for or to inspect?

Basically any input is greatly appreciated. I realize I've left this wide open, so I hope some folks can help.

Thanks in advance!

It has to be disassembled from the bottom.The channel cards are mounted to the faceplate- you have to pull off the knobs and remove the nuts on the pot.shafts.The cards are connected together with the "Buss" cards.They have to be removed-carefully-to remove the channel cards.

It has to be disassembled from the bottom.The channel cards are mounted to the faceplate- you have to pull off the knobs and remove the nuts on the pot.shafts.The cards are connected together with the "Buss" cards.They have to be removed-carefully-to remove the channel cards.

Thank you very much! Another question: I've seen a lot of discussion about replacing the capacitors. Is this something you recommend? Or is it something you do only if the board doesn't sound right?

Since caps.age,while it's apart you may as well swap out the power supply caps.

Many thanks. Just the basic disassembly has yielded tons of dirt. I'm gonna need to buy stock in DeOxit. My God...did you have your dog sleep on this board???

Back