Tascam DP-32SD Not for real drums.

Pub Style

You Are The Walrus
So I received this machine for Christmas. Looks nice, I guess. This was not meant to replace anything I normally use but something I
would be willing to take out of the house for certain projects.

I have finally found some time to spend with it and dive into recording my live drum kit. My God, this thing falls short in so many ways, especially when it comes to effects. There are no noise gate options, just an almost useless noise suppressor. The compressor, not limiter, is just as disappointing. Definitely NOT for recording acoustic drums.

This unit falls short in many, many ways.

Also, the manual seems to be written by two people who did not communicate with each other.

Well, you could track the drums on the Tascam? You don't need gates and compressors for tracking? It would be handy as a carry around option as you said. These things are so cheap for what you get.

Alan.

I hear ya Alan, but on most projects (not all) I like to apply a limiter on the kick and toms when I record.

Returned the Tascam not more than two hours ago and picked up a nice new ride and two crashes for my studio kit.

Roland 880 to Tascam dp 32ex

Hi all, new here, I'm old school midi, 1984 commodore and oberheim OB-8 guy. I got A Roland 800ex digital recorder new around 2001 and loved it. I recall the layers were hard to manage but I did over 30 recordings with it from 2000 to 2007 and 5 or 6 demos for myself and friends including a soundtrack for a college movie. The gates and compressor were great. So fast forwRd 10 years or so. I got married, had a kid, my stuff in boxes and I'm now trying to get back into recording.
A year ago I bought a tascam dp 32sd in hopes to rebuild. I got a pearl drum set to and I want to record live sound but I also have like 6 keyboards and a few guitars. Over the past year I carved out a 12x12 studio in my basement. (if your married you know how hard that is to do!) So now I have everything set up and powered. But Im a bit rusty, I wanted to use the 880 as a sub mixer for drums both real and digital, as noted on this site the 880 has better gates and such. I only see RCA stereo out on the ex. Is there any way to mix out of the 880 into the Tascam like a regular mixer that is not Rca? The tascam appears to only have a USB and no in's. I have the CD burner and cable for the 880 but that sounds like a whole bunch if work for little gain. MIDI? Digital?
Any thoughts?

If I am reading the question properly, why don't you just use RCA to jack plug adaptors and plug these into the Tascam line inputs (centre of the XLR's)?

Alan.

Well, you could track the drums on the Tascam? You don't need gates and compressors for tracking? It would be handy as a carry around option as you said. These things are so cheap for what you get.

Alan.
So I received this machine for Christmas. Looks nice, I guess. This was not meant to replace anything I normally use but something I
would be willing to take out of the house for certain projects.

I have finally found some time to spend with it and dive into recording my live drum kit. My God, this thing falls short in so many ways, especially when it comes to effects. There are no noise gate options, just an almost useless noise suppressor. The compressor, not limiter, is just as disappointing. Definitely NOT for recording acoustic drums.

This unit falls short in many, many ways.

Also, the manual seems to be written by two people who did not communicate with each other.
You obviously have no idea what you're doing.
With the preamps (not needed for this application) on this machine, along with 8/12st track, simultaneous recording, as an actual producer I cant fathom how you could have the guts to exclaim as much in a public forum.

For starters, you need to learn how to mic your kit & push 'Record'.

Back