Tascam DP-24SD question

aztec506

20 years after selling all my recording stuff I'm rebuilding my little home recording studio around a Tascam DP-24SD. For the time being my monitors are going to be headphones. While shopping for those I run across variations of certain models/brands and the only variation is the "OHM"s choice. ie 32 ohms, 250 ohms, 500 ohms, etc.

Can anyone tell me what number of "OHM"s the DP-24SD will handle/output without using any type of headphone amp? I'd prefer not to use an amp, but have no problem buying one if it's called for. I realize a set of monitor speakers would be better, but for the time being my studio space is not really set up for using those.

Thanks in advance for any replies and help!

I have four different sets of headphones with impedances ranging from 38Ω to 64Ω. No problems with a 2488NEO which should be similar to the DP-24SD and the NEO could produce ear hurting volume with any of them. At one time I had a pair of 'AKG K240 Monitor' headphones that were 600Ω and those had a lower volume with the NEO, but were usable. I don't believe you would have a problem with most typical headphones that you might buy.

The closed back ones I typically use for tracking are.....

Sony MDR-7506
Sennheiser HD-280 Pro
Audio Technica M50X

Hey Mark - thanks for the response.

My short list:
BeyerDyn 770, 880, 990 - 32, 80, 150, 250 ohm
AudioTechnica M50x or MSR7
Sennheiser - HE 598 or HD380

Leaning towards the AT - MSR7 - no preamp needed though I might buy one to mess around with anyway. I'm a gadget guy, build my own computers, been playing acoustic guitars for nearly 50 years with a short interval in my wilder days with electric guitars. Always looking for something new to learn or play with.

DAvid

David

I use the Sony MDR-7506 phones with my DP-32SD and they sound fantastic and are loud enough to make your ears bleed. They have to be the best bang for the buck as far as studio monitor headphones go.

I use the Sony MDR-7506 phones with my DP-32SD and they sound fantastic and are loud enough to make your ears bleed. They have to be the best bang for the buck as far as studio monitor headphones go.

Those MDR-7605's are great for tracking but are not what you would want for mixing. They have very hyped top end and scooped mids in my opinion............resulting in possibly muddy mixes. I use open backs for mixing............as most people would. Believe it or not............you can get a GREAT set of open backs..........the Phillips SHP-9500 for less or about the same as your MDR-7506. I happen to have a set of Sennheiser HD-600's and they're great but expensive. The SHP-9500's are better than the Sennheisers in my opinion. For closed cans........which are not really good for mixing.........I'd advise the ATH M-50x or ATH M40x or the Status Audio CB-1's. I have them all.

Back