Tascam DP-24 Copy and paste problems

Technicsfan

Hi all, Im having trouble with the copy and paste function on my DP-24.
Ive connected the DP-24 to my drum machine and recorded a drum track for 128 bars. I then Recorded a synth track for 4 bars.
I wanted to copy and paste the synth track until the end of the drum track so i didnt need to play the synth for the whole thing.
So ive copied from the synth track from measure 1/1 to 4/4 and pasted to measure 5 and copyed 31 times.
Now when i listen back the synth track is going out of sync with the drums after about bar 16. This is quite strange as the drum machine and synth are midi'd up from the recorder and im going by the measures in the recorder too.
Ive tested and re-tested this and no matter what i do my copy and pastes always drift out of time with the drum track.
Anybody got any ideas i'd be grateful as i'd like to find a solution to this instead of taking my recorder back for a refund.
Thanks.

You don't mention the synth...I personally sequence in my Korg Triton Extreme 1st....then I lay it to the DP 24...

From my days with my Ensoniq VFX-SD & now the Extreme I know your bars need to be true. What I mean is keeping them in time to a drum track etc. It has to allow for the notes to precisely go into the next bar accurately.....In your case bar 5.....but you say it goes out in Bar 16. So I'm surmising your synth notes not cut accurately....Sequencing is finicky to say the least and you cannot always arbitrarily just dupe a pattern. It has to fit and fit true, or the timing will wander.

I know the way I do it I sequence inside my Triton Extreme and it works like a champ. Not sure I would want a 4 bar line to be the same all the way through the tune anyhow. I would want a couple of inflections on the pattern at least.....

Maybe your start and stop points are off. Don't see how this could be a DP 24 issue, but rather a timing (note cut-off or elongated) issue which magnifies as each bar progresses......

Hi, Im not exactly sure what the problem was but it seems to have remedied itself after fiddling with midi settings on the synth, drum machine and the DP-24.
Perhaps my drum machine wasnt actually synced to the tascam when i recorded the drum track in the first place! Maybe a dodgy midi connection. Who knows..
Im using an Alesis Micron and making some industrial multi layered madness.
I'll probably just keep to sequencing the entire track at once instead of doing the copy and paste shortcut.

Thanks for the reply :)

"Who knows" is a likely answer. I've had issues with C/P of tracks, and I'm sure it was [gulp] operator error.

While ive not had anymore copy and paste problems there is another thing which is slightly weird, That is when i connect a drum machine via midi to the DP-24 with the DP-24 sending the midi clock. When i press play on the DP-24 it seems to take a short moment for the drum machine to sync with the DP-24.
The drum machine starts a little fast and then slows down to the tempo its meant to be after about a 10th of a second or so. Even though the drum machine is already set to the same tempo as the DP-24 internally without midi connected.
I know this is completely off-topic but it doesnt seem worth while starting a new thread about it.
I just really hope Tascam fixes this in the next firmware update as all my tunes so far have this initial burst of fast tempo!
Ive tried this with a Roland TR626 and a Korg ER-1 with the same result so im sure its not the fault of the drum machinery.

Copy and paste problems are back - This is not good.

Tascam metronome set at 180 BPM

Drum machine synced from Tascam using midi clock

Recorded 4 Bars on track 1 (Bass drum)

Copied the 4 Bars and Pasted 31 times at beginning of Bar 5,

Recorded 4 Bars on track 2 (Snare drum)

Copied the 4 Bars and Pasted 31 times at beginning of Bar 5

These 2 tracks are going completely out of time with each other.
The tempo has not changed. I copied the first 4 Bars of each track and copied them exactly the same way.

Even if i recorded the drum sounds at an off timing, They should keep that off timing until the end of the track. I didnt though.

This makes absolutly no sense.

Ive emailed Tascam, Hope they can fix this. My Boss 4 track never had any copy and paste/midi problems and it was a fraction of the price.

:facepalm:

Back