Tascam DP-03SD Ringing noise when using built-in mic

spantini

COO of me, inc.
I just recorded a 6-string acoustic with brand new strings using internal mic-B. I had Track 2 fader at 0 - Master at 0 - Input at Max (the light flickers once or twice while recording). No Reverb or EQ. No Pan. I set the DP-03 on a chair seat and I sat in another chair opposite, which put the guitar about 24-inches away.

This song has two "chords" which are actually 5 open strings with one string fretted as a single note on the second fret - first a B, then E.

These open chords produce a ringing sound similar to your ears ringing after a concert. I can't hear it while I'm playing - just on playback.

I tried using the EQ to see if I could find the frequency and remove it, or at least dull it down some, but none of the frequencies affected it without drastically muffling the sound. Reverb adjustments haven't helped much, other than to smother it with too much effect, like a wet blanket.

When I play other chords with at least 2 fretted notes the ringing stops. This did not occur with the old strings (same brand & type). I think the B and G strings are the ones ringing. Retuning hasn't helped - I've gone sharp and flat with no difference.

Guess this is just a "new strings" thing that will go away, but then so will that nice sound.

I just recorded a 6-string acoustic with brand new strings using internal mic-B. I had Track 2 fader at 0 - Master at 0 - Input at Max (the light flickers once or twice while recording). No Reverb or EQ. No Pan. I set the DP-03 on a chair seat and I sat in another chair opposite, which put the guitar about 24-inches away.

This song has two "chords" which are actually 5 open strings with one string fretted as a single note on the second fret - first a B, then E.

These open chords produce a ringing sound similar to your ears ringing after a concert. I can't hear it while I'm playing - just on playback.

I tried using the EQ to see if I could find the frequency and remove it, or at least dull it down some, but none of the frequencies affected it without drastically muffling the sound. Reverb adjustments haven't helped much, other than to smother it with too much effect, like a wet blanket.

When I play other chords with at least 2 fretted notes the ringing stops. This did not occur with the old strings (same brand & type). I think the B and G strings are the ones ringing. Retuning hasn't helped - I've gone sharp and flat with no difference.

Guess this is just a "new strings" thing that will go away, but then so will that nice sound.

Haven't had the ringing sound since the new strings have been broken in. Guess that's that.

Back