Tascam Dp-02cf

Kirk Markarian

Hey Noisy Friends

I wanted to say that I purchased TASCAM's latest recording device, the DP-02CF, which is a 2-track simultaneous record / 8-track playback Porta-studio.

My initial impression was one of awe, as it has a very slim design, but it about the size of a large laptop computer. It records to compact flash card, which reduced the price considerably.

Startup was incredibly simple, just format the CF card and read the instructions. Really easy to record audio, took like 20 minutes to get the hang of it. All controls are simplified, and it felt like I was working with a 4-track cassette recorder. Very little menu diving for straight-ahead recording. In fact, none at all. Everything is pretty self-explanatory.

My reason for purchasing this is because of the reviews that I read on TASCAM pre-amp inputs. I read they are great, most people don't dog TASCAM on their recording quality, but rather on their construction quality, and that's only for the later products, like the DP-01.

Well, at first, I was highly disappointed with the pre-amps. I thought they sounded too digital. I know it's a digital machine. But for the life of me I couldn't figure out why they sounded bad. I was getting strange distortion and an electrical whining sound.

So, I dealt with it, thinking I should give it more time, let's see what the EQ can do.

Another small quirk - you can't use the EQ before you record the audio. You can only use it AFTER you have recorded audio. Mildly annoying to me, but once I figured out how to use it, it made sense. If I want to get a good sound, I should put a good sound in (more on this later).

TASCAM's EQ is actually VERY interesting, because at first look, you only have a HI and LOW control. It seems rather limited, until you press the button that says FREQ. This allows you to determine which parts of the audio spectrum you will EQ. You can choose bands in the upper range and bands in the lower range. In this case, the EQ is almost parametric in its operation. So your HI and LOW knobs will sweep the audio spectrum in the areas you determine with the FREQ parameter section. Still a bit limited, but it really opens up the scope of EQ that you can fuss with. And the EQ sounds natural and precise. Not warm, not cold, just accurate.

Earlier, I mentioned that the sound coming into the machine was disappointing. I was testing it with my ambient noise setup, which is: Sidrassi Organ > EH Clone Theory > ProCo RAT 2 > Dunlop Crybaby Wah > EH Deluxe Memory Man Delay. There was a grimy, unpleasant sound coming from my rig, and it was making me disappointed with the sound. No EQ could really cure my ailment.

I got to thinking about my chain, and found that even though it sounds great live, when I'm playing through my amp or a sound-system, it sounded like complete trash here.

So, I turned off the Deluxe Memory Man. Why? Because a year ago, I was fiddling around with it's insides, it's trim-pots and trying to mod it with a soldering gun. That was dumb. It sounded awful running audio through it. Immediately, as soon as I removed it from the recording chain, by turning it off, my sound improved drastically.

The pre-amps opened up, they were accurate, not warm, not cold, just accurate. I was really pleased with the results.

But now, I hear other faults in my recording chain. The accuracy of the TASCAM DP-02CF is an embarrassment to me.

The ProCo RAT 2 is strange-sounding. It is actually removing a ton of warmth from my signal. I'm going to have to investigate it further. The Dunlop Crybaby is also thinning out the signal. There are easy mods for that, and I may try to do some of those to warm it up a bit.

I'm going to have to probably get an EQ in my rig to give me the warmth that I thought I once had by recording directly into my line-in on whatever computer I was using.

Why don't I just use the EQ on the TASCAM?

Because I would prefer to use that as a spot-treatment rather than a cure.

Now, on to the effects send.

Sounds great, but you can't use it before recording your signal. You have to use it after you record your material. This is also another annoying quirk. Basically, I'll have to record material, route it through the send, then bounce the tracks to another set of tracks. Annoying. Maybe I have to read the manual more, though. There may be a way around that. We'll see.

The reason I find that annoying is because I prefer to pre-treat my signals, sometimes. I have a cool EH Black Finger Tube Compressor that I use on my drums when I record, because it makes them sound the way I like to hear them, plus it acts as a simple limiter. I wonder if I can only use the Black Finger directly into the machine. That's fine, but annoying.

Another annoying thing is the fact that you can only record 2 tracks simultaneously. Even on their other DP-02 variations. Why not 4? Fostex has a 4-track simultaneous recording unit for slightly more money.

In conclusion, I'd have to say that this is a VERY BASIC and VERY NICE recording unit. If you don't mind some of these cool things that seem to be missing (I don't, I'll just get creative), then you will have a really nice audio recorder to use, in case you're tired of the computer. It has USB and CF, so you can still edit the tracks on a computer if you want to.

The DP-02FX has a CD burner and FX, so it's definitely a bit more advanced, and you'll pay for it. But I really dislike digital effects, so I don't mind not having them.

My friend,...

Congratulations on the new Tascam. I bought the DP-02CF recently myself, and I've given it a positive review on useability and sound quality, with technical limitations accepted as such, but IMO is otherwise a great unit.

I've said many times that the DP-02's (and many others in this class) design often begs the issue of having a nice front-end mixer, (of which there is none built in), so I think an outboard mixer would be advised in many cases.

However, I'm still interested in what I can achieve in recording with the two "native" inputs, as is. As you said, it forces you to be a bit more creative, but I'll admit a leading and nearly always-used technique of mine for recording e-guitar and bass will involve a mixer as front-end to this device. The good news is that I already have many suitable mixers, from other Portastudios to big table type consoles. That's another post, but the idea I'd like to convey is that this unit begs the issue of input-side mixing and will often require a mixer as front end, and I think that's okay as inherent limitations go.

The rest of the features are fine, as an output-mixer and EQ chain, which BTW I think is selectable frequency "shelving", and is a bit less than true "sweepable" or "semi-parametric".

Honestly, I have some absolutely great outboard gear to front-end the DP-02CF with, and I'm not worried in the least, but only of how much great quality to insert in the device chain. Maybe an MX-80 and PE-40 would stylishly accessorize the DP, plus MH-40 4-banger headphone amp, of course! Or simply stick the 244 as stereo front-end mixer on the DP, or the M30 for supersized fun! That's all TBD.

I'd recommend the DP-02(std) and /CF as pretty nice units that sound good. The Std model has Efx and CD writing onboard, so I guess for the price you can't lose. This Tascam designed unit absolutely stomps the Fostex MR-8mkII.

You heard it here first.

Congratulations again.:eek:;)

Front End Mixer

You know, I've been thinking of doing that myself - buy a separate mixer, and then use the Tascam as a stereo recording device.

Shelving EQ - that's the word I needed to use - I don't often hear that term anymore, and it just slipped my mind. Definitely the way to go.

I really enjoy this machine, and I just completed my "noisy ambient" album with it. It's basic features were more than enough to get the material recorded, then transport to computer.

I will definitely keep in mind a mixer of some sort. I'm just concerned about the size/sound quality. I'm running out of room to put things. :D

I play the Native American Flute and reverb/delay are a necessity. The effects processor that I use is a Lexicon MX300.

I bought this handy recording unit as I continued to have problems finding the right audio interface, thus it just made sense. I was also looking for a all hands on deck plug and play type of set up. I didn't want to have to be a computer programer just to record and share music. The DP-02CF seemed to be more of a hands-on unit vs programing. I was able to read through the manual a bit and get everything set up and recording in a reasonable amount of time. I am quite pleased with the ease and quality.

Then I came across the big issue... my effects would not work! Thus I came to this forum looking for answers. I must say I am quite disappointed to learn that I can not use front end effects. It is hard to "feel" what I am playing without the effects, which is important in my music. Doing more searches, I have not found a recorder of this size that does have this availability.

I wanted to know if anyone has found a solution in a small mixer with effect send/return to use prior to the DP-02CF

Thank you much!

Nice recorder

Yeah i recently purchased the Dp-02CF also. I love its features for simple recording and then backing up songs/tracks to your computer... its doing its job and more for me recording a acoustic demo. Once i get another mic im going to record 2 tracks at a time.. (vocals-guitar) and then go back over the tracks with more vocals and guitar.. then EQ then i work with panning.

I would recommend it for any beginner like myself. its a simple recording machine so anyone can learn the functions if they are interested! :eek:

Thanks

Tascam dp 02 cf

Has anybody figured out how to regain disc space incrementally, one track or recording at a time? ...rather than scrub the whole disc and start over?

raydionh

If...

If you use the "Backup Data" function for the whole song, it will send the raw tracks to the FAT partition, then you can offload them from the DP02 to the 'puter & free up space on the HD.:eek:;)

new and overwhelmed

I am really new at recording and I have a bunch of stuff i don't know how to use. I got so much i'm overwhelmed. First I got the Inspire that comes with Cubase. Then I bought Fruity Loops and now I just bought that Tascam dp 02cf. I just sit here and stare at it..wondering where to start. I did get cubase installed and kinda set up and I can do a few things on Fruity loops. Any help would be appreciated.:confused:

Tascam DP 02CF vs Tascam DP 008

New at recording.. so excuse me if my question is too silly...
Which one do you recommend Tascam DP 02CF or Tascam DP 008?
What are the main (and practical) differences?
One more question: may I record guitar with the stompboxes straight into the input of the Tascam (any of them: DP 02Cf or 008)?

Thanks!

just a few dumb questions..

i just ordered a tascam dp02-cf and ive read good reviews and bad reviews. ive been using portastudios for about 11 years now, and figured it was time to go digital. i literally lost sleep last night because i was reading everything i could about the DP and now Ive stressed myself out. I ordered this machine from A "Daddys junky music" site.it's used and the price tag was $200.. damn. now I dont even know what I want to ask. i confused myself again. Does this machine have an internal hard drive or it only saves to the compact flash drive? Ive read alot of people having a hard time mixing down..should i honestly just stick to the 488 portastudio that's 20 years old? I bought the 488 a week ago from "daddys" and when i ordered the DP i just figured Id swap the 488 for it and pay the difference, but now im having second thoughts. im sorry that i was all over the place.. but can someone help me out with some opinions?

i just ordered a tascam dp02-cf and ive read good reviews and bad reviews. ive been using portastudios for about 11 years now, and figured it was time to go digital. i literally lost sleep last night because i was reading everything i could about the DP and now Ive stressed myself out. I ordered this machine from A "Daddys junky music" site.it's used and the price tag was $200.. damn. now I dont even know what I want to ask. i confused myself again. Does this machine have an internal hard drive or it only saves to the compact flash drive? Ive read alot of people having a hard time mixing down..should i honestly just stick to the 488 portastudio that's 20 years old? I bought the 488 a week ago from "daddys" and when i ordered the DP i just figured Id swap the 488 for it and pay the difference, but now im having second thoughts. im sorry that i was all over the place.. but can someone help me out with some opinions?

I replied to your other thread.;)

Opinion:...

I'd keep both..............:eek:;)

... but I'd not sweat it. They're both good machines.

You could even use the 488 mixer to front-end the DP02cf, but that's another post.

Back