Tascam DP-02 MultiFX issue

seancharris

Hi

I am struggling with my Tascam DP-09 in regards to recording with effects. I am using the built in effects. For example recording vocals. I assign and arm the track, I ensure the effect is on for the input, I assign an effect. I record and whilst recording I can hear the effect is active (through headphones). When I play back the track the vocal is dry - no effect. Effects levels are all up. What am I doing wrong. I managed to record guitar with an effect and it worked.

Sean

I'm not very familiar with the DP-02.. I'm guessing since you're referring to your vocal track that you're talking about the Reverb effect. I think that one effect is not available while recording - as far as incorporating it into the recorded material. Reverb must be added in mixdown. Sounds like you're hearing while recording as if through a headphone mix only.

All you're other effects are available for recording, aren't they? Wonder why Reverb was excluded.

I'm not very familiar with the DP-02.. I'm guessing since you're referring to your vocal track that you're talking about the Reverb effect. I think that one effect is not available while recording - as far as incorporating it into the recorded material. Reverb must be added in mixdown. Sounds like you're hearing while recording as if through a headphone mix only.

All you're other effects are available for recording, aren't they? Wonder why Reverb was excluded.

Hey - Actually no its not the reverb I am discussing. There are effects for vocals (as with guitar drums etc). I am not hearing any effect on the track after recording (I do hear it when I am performing but its not "captured"). On DP-02 there is a mastering process (but that would be after you have mixed)- but the mixdown process is simply a matter off setting levels, eq etc (i understand). Yes I am monitoring through headphones. Thanks for the interest

The next thing I would do is to record a bit of vocal using the same effect you had on the guitar that worked before.

If that works, I'd suspect a defect in the vocal effect you tried earlier. Though I couldn't advise what to do about that, other than maybe a software/firmware update to correct a corrupted file - if that's at all a possibility.

And to cover all bases, I'd record your guitar using the vocal effect in question - just to see what happens. Don't rule anything out.

You said EFFECTS levels were all up. Then my thoughts would turn to the effect itself. Perhaps it's subtle enough as to not be so noticeable - like a de-esser. OR maybe you've selected an effect which should be very noticeable all the time - like a choral or echo.

Last edited:
The next thing I would do is to record a bit of vocal using the same effect you had on the guitar that worked before.

If that works, I'd suspect a defect in the vocal effect you tried earlier. Though I couldn't advise what to do about that, other than maybe a software/firmware update to correct a corrupted file - if that's at all a possibility.

And to cover all bases, I'd record your guitar using the vocal effect in question - just to see what happens. Don't rule anything out.

You said EFFECTS levels were all up. Then my thoughts would turn to the effect itself. Perhaps it's subtle enough as to not be so noticeable - like a de-esser. OR maybe you've selected an effect which should be very noticeable all the time - like a choral or echo.

I will definitely try recording with a guitar effect see if that works first. It is your assumption that I should hear what I recorded. (it also dosnt apply the effect after recording dry - as I wondered if that was the case)

I have a DP02 and can't remember experiencing that.
I know I've recorded vocals using the onboard vocal effect and even the guitar effects.
The only thing I can think of would be assigning the effect to one input and assigning the track to another input.
I'm trying to even think how that would work.
There is an effect volume parameter on the individual effect screen but I would think that if it was low you'd hear it that way through the monitor or headphones.
I'm stumped.

FFS - Tried recording to a different track - it worked. Many thanks to all - I still dont k now what the issue was with the first track (track 2). Maybe a software issue with that track

Back