Tascam DP-004

Yeah I saw the promo when it first came out. Its only advantage that I can would be that its small enough to sneak into a live show to make a down and dirty bootleg recording.

It's the new age Porta02mkII.

The most basic multitrack recorder (4-track) Tascam offers at this time.
There's a few digital-only features (internal bounce, master track, cut/paste edit), plus built in mics, but the basics put it on par with the Porta02mkII.

I'm sure it's alright, if you're looking at basic 4-track machines. I'd rather have that than the Boss or Yamaha.

There's a few digital-only features (internal bounce, master track, cut/paste edit), plus built in mics, but the basics put it on par with the Porta02mkII.

I'm sure it's alright, if you're looking at basic 4-track machines. I'd rather have that than the Boss or Yamaha.

I guess you're right. I never actually worked with a 4-track that didn't have an effects loop (I started on a Fostex x-26 and then moved into the Tascam 414/424 realm), but you're right that those barebones didn't have one.

I bet it's a great little songwriting tool or band rehearsal-recording tool.

Part of it's charm is it's smallness and portability, but with it comes limitations.

Battery-op and fits in your pocket. Take it anywhere & record in stereo. Nice. A bootlegger's dream? Live-to-stereo practice session recording tool? You don't get too much production power in 4-tracks, but I'll admit the fully outfitted 424mkIII is a way better "full" production platform than this would be. Just like the 424mkIII is a full "production" platform, vs. the Porta02mkII, which is a scratchpad-level recording tool.

I'm biased, though.:eek:;)

A much better value might be to cough up the extra $100 & pop for the DP-02cf. You give up battery-op, built-in mics and in'yo pocket portability, but you gain twice the tracks, playback EQ, XLR mic inputs w/phantom power and an effects loop.

YMMV.:eek:;)

Basic Recorder

I bought the DP-02CF before, it got fried in the trunk of my car, and is now an expensive flashing device. I was pretty bummed. :(

So, I bought me a DP-004, because even my laptop stopped working right (freakin' screen...).

I haven't recorded my band with it, but I have recorded myself singing the meow-mix song with the internal mics, which are accurate to a degree (they pick up way more bass than I thought they would). Not an unpleasant amount of bass, but definitely noticeable. They also have a pad on them, and can be set to pick up quiet noises, or with the "low" setting, something with higher SPL. I'm pretty sure if I set it right, I could record my afro-noise band without a compressor.

It has two microphone inputs (or one could be for your geetar, I suppose). I'm hurtin' to try out my SM-57's on it. Or my PZM.

I think it's a nice device - I haven't actually recorded my band with it yet, but the features are slim, and the device is quick 'n easy to set up. Browse the manual. It is almost the same procedure as recording with the DP-02CF. Arm a track and let'er rip.

Once I discovered all the ways you can set up the internal microphones and the external microphone jacks, it's basically a two-track recorder, and it's simple. Augument it with a mixing board, and you're working.

Simple, effective, and small. And it feels real nice too.

In today's world I don't think a product like the DP-004 can compete when for the same money there are much better options. I mean the DP-004 doesn't even have basic EQ, that is unforgivable. The Boss Micro is a MUCH better deal. You get tons of, if not groundbreaking, usable effects, EQ, a surprisingly good sounding on board mic and routing that the Tascam doesn't offer. I'm a TASCAM man, but I think they dropped the ball on this one.

I have now managed to successfully master and export to my laptop a couple of songs recorded on my new dp-004. However, I have another song, which I can listen to in playback mode but when I go to record mode and to "master rec" it keeps saying "trk too short". Have I done something wrong or is this some sort of gremlin? Is there anyway of salvaging things so that I can mix this song?

Did you mark the In/Out points for the begginning/end of the song in Tracking mode before switching to Master mode?:eek:;)

I am not a technical person...an artist instead and this simple DP-004 has me angry. This is my first time using it and I recorded a little guitar so I could test it out and I can't hear it in the headphones. Any ideas on what simple step I'm missing?

I am not a technical person...an artist instead and this simple DP-004 has me angry. This is my first time using it and I recorded a little guitar so I could test it out and I can't hear it in the headphones. Any ideas on what simple step I'm missing?

Do you have the manual? I don't have experience with the unit, but it sounds to me as though you have a track/channel set for mic/input instead of playback. Something to that effect.

This may sound stupid, but did you forget to "arm" the track you were recording to? If you have the mic/line setting correct, and the track is armed, you should see your levels in the display, both on the main (L and R) and the desired track even before you record.

Give us a step by step of what you did and maybe we can help a bit more. I've got a DP-004 so I'm pretty familiar with it.;)

Happy w/DP-004

I picked up one of these last fall and have been pretty happy with how it functions - what did I expect for $100?!? I use it conjunction with a Line 6 POD so for guitar tracks I've got a plethora of effects to play around in relation to the signal sent into the DP-004. Tried a couple of times to record live sessions but the internal mics just couldn't take the volume. Everything peaked out no matter what I tried. Planning on trying a couple of external mics next time and see how that goes. At this point I use really as more of a "sketch" pad - capture ideas, do a little layering, etc. If anyone has really played around with one of these things and has some nifty tricks to share, I'm all ears!

Back