Tascam DP-004

g3ebbos8

Hi I joined this forum so I could ask a question about the DP-004. I have no money but want to record a cd with my friend. Is the DP-004 merely a tool for songwriters to record ideas on? Or is it capable of producing a quality album? I'm drawn to it because it is so inexpensive but I am unsure of what kind of results I can get with it. I'll use it for recording quiet folk songs using mainly vocals, acoustic guitars and pianos, occasionally flutes and some simple percussion.

Any information about people's experience with the DP-004 would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Bearing in mind that there is no EQ or FX sends I'd say it's primarly intended as a sketchpad. Kinda like a digital version of my old Porta 03, you can probably get some acceptable results providing you are willing to get creative and work around the limitations (isn't that what home recording is all about?)

The DP-02cf offers so much more for only a few dollars more. You can find them cheeeap on ebay.

It's excellent

I've owned the DP004 for 2 months now and am finding it truly excellent. Using the external inputs you can have a preamp with nice condensor mics which achieve a very high quality of sound. I think a basic album could be recorded this way but you would definitely have to mix it on the computer.

It's a simple device, with no mixing or virtual tracks but good bouncing capabilities. The export function is simple so you can easily copy wavs off onto the computer for mixing.

The in-built mics are also not bad at all but i think they're more suited to rough recordings (since they're not in an XY configuration, the stereo isn't as good as it could be).

with a 16gb card off google (£25) you have a portable recording system with 3000+ minutes available.

Awesome device - definitely 5 star

it would be possible to make an album on it, but it's gonna have to be quite simple. that said, for acoustic music, an album could be recorded for sure.

I hope that helps ;)

It is really great!

It's a simple digital recorder - the internal microphones are acceptable, and with external microphones, you can get different and probably better results.

It's not fair to say it has NO mixing capability, because initially, mixing audio was merely setting volume levels. So, you'll have to make sure you have your sound to your liking at the source. If your source material sounds good, then you should be able to make an acceptable mix.

Of course, you can always do better than this machine, but it simply is a great recorder with very limited functions. My DP-02CF crapped out on me, and I bought this device. I like it much better. I like not having EQ, because it provides me a challenge to get a good sound. That's fun for me, but for some people, they might find that annoying.

It's sound is very good, and very neutral. I don't think it sounds as crisp as the DP-02CF, and that's good for me too, because I don't like crisp sounds. It's clear, clean and not over-hyped. Accurate.

It has two inputs, and that's handy, because you can record your tracks in stereo or dual mono, so if you're in a two-piece outfit, like I am, you can run one mic to one person and one to the other. Or you can get a mixer, and mix the drums on the mixer, and single-mic your other player. Very handy.

The internal microphones are really nice, and have very nice bass-response for being so tiny. It's actually nearing over-powering at times, but that is due to proximity effect. I bought it, haven't regretted it. Very nice sound. I enjoy working with it.

I love it!

First, I used it as a basic recorder, and did all the mixing/editing in audacity. Then, when I had the need to record 2 vocals simultaneously, it was a champ, with a very easy, very effective punch in/out tool. It seemlessly removed my friend clearing her throat, and little discrepancies we had in our harmonies. I was able to prepare 2 tracks of music (piano/strings + chimes) and 3 part harmonies for two songs that were played at a memorial service recently, and they came out beautifully - very professional.

My friend sang the lead, and wanted some reverb on our voices, so we ran the mics through a mixer, then to the DP, and finally to my keyboard amp (for our monitor). How did we do 5 tracks? I did a direct input from my elec. piano, and used a mic for the chimes. Imported the tracks to audacity, mixed, etc. and then imported the new wav file back into the DP as track 1. Then we were ready to do the vocals on the remaining 3 tracks! If you don't need effects on the voice, all you need is a few basic cables, and the free audacity software for your computer. Oh, and you definitely need the 16GB SD card. We started out with the 1GB card, and kept having to offload files, because the DP would just stop recording half way through the song (when we got to the third part harmony) - no warning, just silence. That was a drag. Next session, using the larger card, we had no problems. Well, experience is a good teacher.

Last week, my husband let me purchase SONAR Home Studio XL, and now I have a stellar set up! I was doing fine with audacity, but there were some limitations to the effects, and some challenges that seemed to frustrate from time to time. This new software (though I'm still learning it) is really inspiring me to be even more creative with my songs, because I can do things like add drums, etc.

Hi I have just started using the Dp004. Last "studio" I had was a Fostex one from the 80s. I would like to ask some "daft questions". If the batteries run out do you lose what is on the SD card (I presume not but would like some reassurance). Also if you mix a stereo master do you still have the multitrack in case you are not satisfied with your mix??

I've been eyeing that DP-004 pretty hard over the last couple of months. I like what I'm hearing so far. I've got a DP-02CF and love it, but I want something a little more portable since I have to drag the DP-02 out of the closet and hook it up every time I want to use it. I think the DP-004 would just be something I could set on top of a cabinet and grab it and go if I want to record something. Maybe in a few weeks I can add it to my colleciton.:D

trk too short?

I have now managed to successfully master and export to my laptop a couple of songs recorded on my new dp-004. However, I have another song, which I can listen to in playback mode but when I go to record mode and to "master rec" it keeps saying "trk too short". Have I done something wrong or is this some sort of gremlin? Is there anyway of salvaging things so that I can mix this song?

I'm pretty new to the whole recording thing and have been looking at the DP-004 for some time myself. I like it's simplicity but have to ask(since I don't know much), am I able to hook up my drum machine to this and record drum tracks that way? Thanks to all who reply

The DP-004 does have a pair of 1/4" inputs (inputs "A" and "B" on the back). You can select the input gain via the selected track knobs, as well as through the menu (for sensitivity). I've run my drum machine through it once just to play around with it.

I've been impressed with this little thing. It doesn't have an send/returns or an eq section, so it is pretty basic in that area. I've got a DP-02CF if I feel like pulling it out and hooking up the power to it. Otherwise, the DP-004 stays in my backpack and all I have to do is pull it out, turn it on, arm the tracks, and off I go. The built-in mics are pretty impressive too. The downside is that there isn't much stereo separation when using those.

I think 32gb is the largest you can use. There is a list of tested/suggested cards on Tascam's website. I think the DP-004 breaks the card up into 4 GB partitions anyway, so that will be your limitation. I personally like my DP-004, but for a few bucks more you can get a DP-008 which has 4 more channels and built-in effects. Just figured I would throw that out there for consideration.

hi guys,
please can somebody help me to explain step by step about TASCAM DP004? I record something on it from build in mics and i can't export a track on my Mac......and a manual is so incomprehansible and complicated. thanx all !

Back