Tascam DA-88 Inputs. Unbalanced vs Balanced

Dwayne C

I have a board with unbalanced tape outs that I send to DA-88s. I use a D-sub snake to send signals. The D-Sub is a balanced input. There are also RCA inputs on the 88s which I'm guessing are unbalanced. Would I be better off going into the RCAs and skipping a conversion process? And......how much difference will this make?

There is no conversion. I think the only difference between the inputs is the input level. Balanced is +4 and unbalanced is -10. (My memory could be incorrect about the level difference)

There is no conversion process, an unbalanced signal will simply remain unbalanced, even when plugged into a balanced input. If you already put up the cash for the d-sub snakes, keep using them. If you need more, I might have some left over from when I had five of those things.

Well, I think there's an extra op amp for the balanced input, but I wouldn't worry about that too much. If the board is sending -10dBv unbalanced then it might make sense to use the RCA inputs.

My Topaz has unbal 1/4" outs, at -10 until I can get it modded..........

I agree with BSG. There is no need to mod the output of the board, since the output already matches one of the inputs on the recorder.

What mods are you planning on doing to the topaz? If it is balancing the outputs or bringing the out put to +4, that would be a huge waste of time and money and make no real difference.

The DA88 has db25 connectors. He obviously has a 1/4 to db2t snake.
I'm coming to think -with the 'style of communications that being what it is, nothing's obvious' anymore. :listeningmusic:
'Conversion equaling 'mod likely, things are getting sorted out.

... Would I be better off going into the RCAs and skipping a conversion process? And......how much difference will this make?
The question is -are the paths, in this case balanced vs unbalanced on the DA88 at one end, and the existing -10 vs ..what, I guess you're thinking converting the board's outs to balanced?

I asked RME once; 'The ADI-8 has three different A/D and D/A voltage operating levels. Which one aligns (naively assuming 'cleanest) with the A/D -D/A's levels?
:facepalm: :rolleyes: The answer was... None.
One is somewhat closer than the others ..don't remember which, but I think it would be the one with the lowest opp orating voltages?) But the upshot was they're all just various amounts of attenuation or gain to get to what the A/D and D/A's actually use.

Normally isn't the only real reason for 'balanced circuits and the higher op levels better performance over longer distance -and/or challenging environments?

I agree with BSG. There is no need to mod the output of the board, since the output already matches one of the inputs on the recorder.

What mods are you planning on doing to the topaz? If it is balancing the outputs or bringing the out put to +4, that would be a huge waste of time and money and make no real difference.

I was going to do all the -10 to +4 on all the sections possible, and make AUX1 a post fade send.

I was asking if it's worth the cost and will it improve sound quality enough to bother getting 1/4 to RCA snakes?........

Compared to hacking the console? Absolutely worth the cost.

The sound quality will be essentially the same as long as your work and parts are up to their standards.

I'm still trying to figure out why you want to mod the board rather than use the correct cabling.

No, don't mod the board for the level change. Just work at the level it is. It won't make any noticable difference and will just be a waste of time and money.

The aux mod might be worth it, assuming that there are no post fader auxes on the board.

I'd love to get the Aux done. I have 4 Post Fader Aux sends, but they are on 2 channels. A 3rd would be super handy. You have to understand, I live in the stone ages compared to most guys around here it seems. Analog board, physical rack gear, and DA-88s.

I ran an analog board and DA-88's for years. The only issue with the DA-series recorders no is that they aren't worth fixing. Once the heads wear out, you just throw the machine out and get another one on ebay for $100. (Not sure you can get prats for these any more)

Other than that, they were rock solid

I love my DA-88s. I have 3 running and 3 waiting in the wings. I also have the benefit of having a great place to have them cleaned or serviced if necessary. However, you are correct. I'll just buy 2 or 3 more this year and next.

I also take Hi-8 tape donations................never enough............:laughings:

I threw out all the tapes I had a few years ago, when I moved.

The head stacks on those machines are around $700. Unless you are in the business of transferring tapes to computer, it wouldn't be worth fixing anything.

Make sure you rotate the machines, because not using them will screw them up too.

Back