Tascam DA-30 help

Rich Haigh

I have a Tascam DA-30 that did work fine but now it won't play. It powers on fine and rewinds and fast forwards but when play is pressed, it gets a fast whirring sound and the tape starts fast forwarding (but not like in fast forward mode). The only way to stop it is to press stop. Below is a link to a video showing the issue. You can hear the problem when the unit is first turned on, then I press play and you can see the issue. I then show how FF and REW work fine. I cleaned the heads but no luck. Any ideas? Thanks.

I have a youtube video showing the problem but for some reason you can't post links here :(

You can go to you tube and search "rich haigh MVI 5514"

I think you need five posts on the forum before you can post links.

It sounds like the pinch roller isn't engaging. The take up hub is pulling the tape to keep the tension, but the pinch roller holding the tape against the capstan is what actually controls the tape speed across the head (which in DATs is spinning against the tape). So, without the pinch roller engaging the take up hub pulls the tape too fast for playback.

I had one of those. I used to haul it around to record shows I was mixing. My DA-30 died long ago, but I do have access to my friend's DA-30 Mk II, so I can still play all those old tapes.

I'm pretty sure BAG nailed it.

Both of my DA-30s died of old age half a decade ago. Sounds like yours has too. They are too expensive to fix most of the time.

If you're lucky, it's something stupid and easy. Take off the top of the machine to see what's actually happening. The mechanism may just be gunked up to the point that it doesn't engage correctly.

The pinch roller is coming in contact and spinning with the tape. Funny thing though, I tried it again tonight and its been working fine. Something intermittent happening. Maybe clean up some of the old hard grease and apply new? What type of grease is best for this? Thanks.

The pinch roller is coming in contact and spinning with the tape. Funny thing though, I tried it again tonight and its been working fine. Something intermittent happening. Maybe clean up some of the old hard grease and apply new? What type of grease is best for this? Thanks.

The pinch roller has to push the tape against the capstan. The capstan is a precision machined shaft and flywheel piece that is driven by a motor. The pinch roller just applies pressure, with the tape squeezed between them. The pinch roller could be getting spun by the tape but not pushing against the capstan. It could be an issue with grease, but it could be a belt wearing out, getting too loose to move the pinch roller into place. I'm pretty sure it was something mechanical in the transport that failed on mine. And mine was intermittent for a while, then it started eating tapes.

Thanks. What do i do to get the machine to play without a tape in it? Is there a sensor there that I block? Thanks.

It's possible that the pinch roller has a glaze on it that needs to be cleaned off. Don't use head cleaner, alcohol.
, or anything that will dry the rubber out. Rubber cleaner/rejuvinator is best. Mild dish soap might might work. If using a cotton swab, make sure it ndoes't contact the rotating drum.

Back