TASCAM 788 Woes !!!!

I know, I know......it's old from a technology perspective yet I have always loved this thing since i purchased it 01. I recorded several demo albums with it over the years. Now a days, with my software DAW (Pro Tools based) running my main studio, I have another smaller room where I do wav mixing and smaller products using a 2488 and more often than not, the 788.

About 5 days ago, the 788 had a catastrophic failure. It started making a loud popping sound through the monitor speaker/amp, it appeared to be repeatedly rebooting itself and the display/leds were extremely bright. I got back into the room and shut it off thinking that maybe something in my AC power source had gone wrong although none of the other equipment on that circuit was affected. I tried restarting the 788 but nothing would come on.

Upon inspection of the unit, there was that tell-tale argon smell of something shorted out from the power supply (this was replaced in 2012) and the hard drive (40 gb Seagate) smelled pretty much the same. As I said, the 2488 was plugged into the same power source and nothing happened to it or the other equiptment. :(

Ebay came through for me and I found one of sale for $10.00 Seller was having problems with an input not working and somehow trying to fix it himself, ruined the ribbon cable connecting the control surface (top half) to the processor section (bottom half) I bought it, took a chance using it with my control surface connected with the new processor section and the power supply that came with it and it works perfectly. It even came with OS 2.0.2 installed.

After all that chit chat, my question is has anyone here experienced this problem with a 788 (or 2488) and any other digital portastudio? Were you able to pinpoint a cause for the failure? I am asking because I don't want the same thing to happen to my replacement 788.

BTW..........the old unit did experience some extended run periods (2 months at a time without being shut down)

Last edited:
So after a 100+ reads, no one has ever had this happen to their 788? Kind of glad they hadn't. I lost some great material through this process. That doesn't bother me as much as not knowing the cause of the failure. I really like the 788 more than my 2488 although they are very similar. Sometimes, "less is truly more". The 788 has laid down some really nice professional mixes for me. Have a listen:

SoundClick artist: Musically Mr M - Pop General, Cool Jazz, World Music, R&B, Folk and Country Tara's Smile

SoundClick artist: Musically Mr M - Pop General, Cool Jazz, World Music, R&B, Folk and Country Don't Ever Be Lonely

SoundClick artist: Musically Mr M - Pop General, Cool Jazz, World Music, R&B, Folk and Country Cold In Your Corner

SoundClick artist: Musically Mr M - Pop General, Cool Jazz, World Music, R&B, Folk and Country Tara's Rain

So after a 100+ reads, no one has ever had this happen to their 788? Kind of glad they hadn't. I lost some great material through this process. That doesn't bother me as much as not knowing the cause of the failure. I really like the 788 more than my 2488 although they are very similar. Sometimes, "less is truly more". The 788 has laid down some really nice professional mixes for me. Have a listen:

SoundClick artist: Musically Mr M - Pop General, Cool Jazz, World Music, R&B, Folk and Country Tara's Smile

SoundClick artist: Musically Mr M - Pop General, Cool Jazz, World Music, R&B, Folk and Country Don't Ever Be Lonely

SoundClick artist: Musically Mr M - Pop General, Cool Jazz, World Music, R&B, Folk and Country Cold In Your Corner

SoundClick artist: Musically Mr M - Pop General, Cool Jazz, World Music, R&B, Folk and Country Tara's Rain

I don't know the 788 but I bet it is a good one !! I feel as passionate about my DP-02 as you do about the 788 I bet.and I love my 2488 MKII and NEO but man that DP-02 is built like a tank and has KNOBS for everything and sounds great at 16 bit big deal !!! Well I hope you continue enjoying your 788 , im going look at em now !!!

Back